Is this even a knock-off of an Omega watch, let alone legit?

FYI - for transparency, 'written quote' is not itemised but service + plexi + new band is $435 AUD, so about $340 USD.
He said the plexi was ~$60 (or maybe $160? maybe I misheard, $60 sounds cheap). New croc leather watch band? got to be 30-odd bucks?
So full service would appear maybe about $300-350 AUD? (at least the main spring was being replaced, I'm sure there were some other things too? But full dismantle and clean)

Hey Jim and WYW, thanks for the advice - do you know something about this crew? (PM me if needed).
They've given me a written quote for the work, which includes new plexiglass and watchband. Based on Timecubes comment above re: service costs, this is within that ball park (considerably less if timecube was speaking in USD).

But circling back to the red second hand - why would this be the original painted red and not just a red replacement hand?
If there's evidence that it was painted red, then that was clearly something my grandfather requested at some point in the life of the watch, and I'll then keep it as is.

And thanks again to everyone for the support and advice!

i don’t think that’s the original seconds hand. It shouldn’t be shorter then the minutes hand.
Personally I’d leave it as it is part of the family history. You can always try to source a more correct one at anytime. Make sure your watchmaker is not going to touch the dial at all though. Get it in writing.

Unfortunately I’m rough on plexi’s so $60 does sound about right.

I get em in bulk and cheaper and replace them myself…..

FYI - for transparency, 'written quote' is not itemised but service + plexi + new band is $435 AUD, so about $340 USD.
He said the plexi was ~$60 (or maybe $160? maybe I misheard, $60 sounds cheap). New croc leather watch band? got to be 30-odd bucks?
So full service would appear maybe about $300-350 AUD? (at least the main spring was being replaced, I'm sure there were some other things too? But full dismantle and clean)

For extra transparency
Whatever timecube says about anything should be confirmed by a third party because timecube usually has no idea what he's talking about. And he should think twice before wading in on these threads.

I do have another question about servicing. And let's just acknowledge that I've had this for 20 years without ever knowing it should be serviced......
On the assumption that I'll wear it maybe half a dozen times a year, if that, how often should I be servicing this watch in the future?

I do have another question about servicing. And let's just acknowledge that I've had this for 20 years without ever knowing it should be serviced......
On the assumption that I'll wear it maybe half a dozen times a year, if that, how often should I be servicing this watch in the future?
The frequency does'nt really matter. It's more about oils drying up. So app every 5 years servicing is a good idea.

The more you wear it, the better . That's what they are made for. then 5 years service interval is good. You might get away with 7 years as well......BTW: that croc band will be no croc band. It will be a croc pattern pressed into a normal leather band. They look quite cheap. Are around $20 max. Maybe quit the band option with the watchmaker, deduct $50 from the quote and find a better one.....

Vintage mechanical watches need to be serviced regularly, or the oils dry out and the gears start to chew each other up. It may continue to run "just fine" without service, but then someday it will stop. And then you'll be looking at major repairs, rather than light maintenance.

It's like a car, in that.
However, cars are meant to be used, wore out and replaced.
A decent watch, if looked after could last a few lifetimes or several.
Looks like this one already has!
The car analogy is one I commonly see, but given the relative cost of service to value of the item, it is no where near appropriate. It makes sense to regularly do a $200 preventative maintenance to protect your $40k car. But spending $300 to every few years to service a $600 watch, not so much.
Also, the idea that failure to service will result in "major repairs" is just not true, at least for the vast majority of watches. For most vintage Omegas, a routine service will fix most problems, plus maybe a few inexpensive and at least for now, readily available parts.

The car analogy is one I commonly see, but given the relative cost of service to value of the item, it is no where near appropriate. It makes sense to regularly do a $200 preventative maintenance to protect your $40k car. But spending $300 to every few years to service a $600 watch, not so much.

Car to watch analogies are generally not very good, and I agree that the service one is terrible from a few directions. For one, those who say to service a car is only a small percentage of the car's value, and compare that to watch service and the percentage of value of the watch, aren't comparing apples to apples.

If they were, your average car service would involve tearing the engine completely apart, replacing or repairing all the worn parts inside, bringing the engine back to up to the original HP and torque specifications (no matter how old it is), and then taking the body apart for changing of all seals as a start, and possibly a complete refinish of all panels. That's what is involved in a watch service, so to compare that to anything but a frame off restoration of a vintage car, is a very poor comparison indeed.

Also, the idea that failure to service will result in "major repairs" is just not true, at least for the vast majority of watches. For most vintage
Omegas, a routine service will fix most problems, plus maybe a few inexpensive and at least for now, readily available parts.

Of course people can believe whatever they wish, but with vintage watches in particular, even the parts that are still available from Omega are getting very expensive. I'm all for letting modern watches run until they stop, use the service center, and you won't pay a penalty in costs, but the same simply isn't true for vintage watches.

It used to be rare that the value of parts in a service job equaled or was more than what I charge for labour, but now this happens often. Here's an example - this is a winding gear for the Cal. 1010 series of movements...

1010 winding gear.jpg

This part is over $300 itself...and like any reversing wheel is one of the hardest working parts inside the automatic winding system, so they frequently need replacing if worn. I don't think vintage collectors have any idea of what it's going to be like in the not too distant future regarding parts prices - these increases are happening at an alarming rate. Replacement crystals just recently went up to a crazy price - what you used to be an easy decision to replace a crystal is now something that can really impact the bottom line. A third wheel from a Cal. 321 that I used to get for $38 as recently as February of this year, is now $180.

More than ever failing to service in a way that preserves the parts inside these vintage watches is going to cost people a lot of money in parts. If you choose to not service your own vintage watches regularly that's fine, but say that the parts are inexpensive, is not really the case anymore.

Cheers, Al

I have my grandpa’s Benrus and it’s worth every bit of it’s $20, and I’m figuring to spend a couple hundred on its repair.

it’s not about the money.
I hear you!!! I have my Dad's Wristalarm from probably the late 50's. I just spent $200.00 on a complete overhaul. it's on my never sell list, along with his gold tank Hamilton.