Forums Latest Members
  1. dx009 Jan 17, 2020

Sorry I didn't mean it like that. I meant as far as the technical aspects of a vintage watch goes... Novice shouldn't be seen as a harsh term or an insult... I guess it depends on the context. I meant no harm...

Should have used a different term. English isn't my native language so I have a limited vocabulary...

Vintageous likes this.
  2. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

That's OK, no offense taken . . .

Edited Jan 17, 2020
  3. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Much obliged!

4. timecube Jan 17, 2020

You are right and everything you say is right and your watch is fine.

5. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

My thanks to all of you who made an effort to provide assistance in answering my questions.
    Appreciate it!
    :thumbsup:

6. Lurk41 Jan 17, 2020

That means it needs service. Even if the watch is running well, you cannot say it does not need a service if you do not know when was the last one. It is like saying "this car does not need to have its oil changed because the engine is running"...

Your Connie is really beautiful, just have it serviced so it will be as nice inside than it is outside :thumbsup:

DaveK, JwRosenthal and Vintageous like this.
  7. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

You're quite right . . . thanks!

8. JwRosenthal Jan 17, 2020

The “serviced” claim at time of sale is sticky around here. Unless a seller can provide documentation of a service (watchmaker invoice with parts replaced if needed, or even “CLA” and a price next to it on some form of receipt), one has to always assume the seller doesn’t know the history.
    If the seller claims “running perfectly, doesn’t need service”- they don’t know. If they claim “we inspected the watch and performed a basic service”, it usually means they opened the back and possibly adjusted the regulator to make it run closer to on- speed...which just means the watch is now compensating for worn/unlubed parts. The only form of “service” that meets the claim of “service” is for the watch to be completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected for worn parts and parts replaced if out of spec, then resembled and lubed with appropriate lubricants, tested and regulated- then gaskets replaces and watch tested for water resistance- anything short of that isn’t a service.

So when buying vintage- always assume it needs a service. The fact that it’s currently running is a good sign and what most of us look for knowing it will have some issues. Build a relationship with a good watchmaker because these things will just keep following your home.

dx009, Lurk41 and DaveK like this.
  9. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

I admire your expertise! :thumbsup:

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2020

No, but the crown just needs to be tightened properly, so not a big deal at all.

Yes. This movement uses an indirectly driven sweep seconds hand, and there is a large amount of backlash between the teeth of the sweep seconds pinion and the wheel that drives it, so when you apply back pressure to the crown it will cause the seconds hand to move back a fair bit. When the pressure is reversed, it flips back the other way. Not a concern really.

Cheers, Al

Vintageous likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 17, 2020

STANDY said:
    But you sound very anxious about it, so you should just return the watch, you are never going to be happy with it. Frankly, I sympathize with the seller

Don’t know what you done but I never said the above ::confused2:: on the last page

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 17, 2020

Don't worry Andy, the OP just got confused trying to answer as many posts as he could all at once.

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 3.57.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 3.58.15 PM.png

13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 18, 2020

So true!

14. Vintageous Jan 18, 2020

15. Vintageous Jan 18, 2020

I apologize, I got the quotes mixed up and didn't realize it. My bad!

16. Canuck Jan 18, 2020

If the seller won’t take it back, I’m sure there will be a line up here that will take it off your hands. The problem is that, when something is offered for sale, people don’t know how badly you want to unload it. So expect to take a beating, especially since you have so capably pointed out out everything you think is wrong with it. ;)