Forums Latest Members
  1. Vintageous Jan 14, 2020

Wise words...thanks for the advice!

Canuck likes this.
  2. Canuck Jan 14, 2020

Let us know what you decide.

3. Claven2 Jan 14, 2020

Why are you bugging the seller??? It's a handsome vintage watch that you should have serviced as a responsible owner. Point finale.

Great dial too.

4. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Almost there, guys, I will report more fully...

But first, a question.

I was changing the date (going back and forth from 9 to 3 and back), and suddenly the crown didn't turn the hands anymore, and seemed to be screwing itself off the stem.
    I pushed the crown in and did some winding, to tighten the crown endpiece to the stem, and that seemed to normalize things again.
    The crown is signed, and, I assume, original.

Is this normal?

Also, when going backwards to 9 (to then advance another day), I noticed the second hand pretty violently jumping back and forth in a wide angle.
    On other watches I've done this with, the second hand also goes back and forward, but only slightly.

Again, is this normal?

I really like this watch and would like to keep it (the consensus in this thread has been to keep it), but I don't want to start having technical problems with it already. That doesn't jibe with the pleasure one is supposed to have with a nice new/old watch. ;)

And I still have the 30-day option (maybe 2 weeks of that left) to return it, which is reassuring.
    Or I could ask if the seller would fix it, should it be a technical problem...?

Edited Jan 17, 2020
  5. Dan S Jan 17, 2020

These are representative of the kind of things you may find when you buy an old watch that hasn't been serviced. Mention these issues to the watchmaker when you bring it in and he will fix them. The seller did not represent the watch as having been serviced, and as far as I can tell the watch is operational. If minor repairs are going to cause you stress, and decrease your pleasure in owning a vintage watch, then perhaps old watches are not for you. Return the watch, change your user-name, and buy a vintage-style new watch from a dealer, which will be perfect, and under warranty.

JimJupiter, DaveK and MoclovFlop like this.
  6. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Of course old watches are for me. This is my first Omega, and I'm just aware that the cost factor will be higher than, say, with a Seiko.

I want to know if the things I described are normal, or, if not, well-known, and easy fixes.
    I obviously don't like the idea of having a fix-it list right off the bat.

The seller buys watches from various sources and checks them personally before selling them, something he has been doing for the last 25 years, he says.
    He claimed that this watch does not need a service. He said a service had surely been done, but he did not know when.
    About the rotor, he said it is not loose.
    I tried the suggested tests for metallic rotor noises, and can feel movement in the watch when moving it, more than hear it.
    What I do hear is not scraping or metallic, but rather the sounds an automatic makes when you shake it.
    At least, no alarming sounds.

But that's why I'm here, because I don't know what's OK, and what might not be.

7. Dan S Jan 17, 2020

My point is that this is a meaningless distinction, and if you are familiar with vintage watches this should not be surprising to you. When a collector buys a watch, unless there is definitive proof of a recent service, he accepts the likelihood that a service or repairs may be needed for the watch to run perfectly. There are any number of problems that one can find with an old watch, but they can be fixed. There is no way to say what is "normal" or what is "ok" in terms of minor repairs that might be needed. I don't see any substantial difference between Omega and Seiko in this regard. Both are mid-level brands that made high quality watches in the vintage era.

As has been said multiple times, the watch is fine. But you sound very anxious about it, so you should just return the watch, you are never going to be happy with it. Frankly, I sympathize with the seller.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 17, 2020

Just get the watch serviced and enjoy it. Easy fix for anything you have questioned.
    Unless it comes with a service receipt it’s going to need a service. It’s a nice watch so don’t return it just service it and wear it trouble free for the next 5 years.

9. Canuck Jan 17, 2020

You are tortured! Nothing anybody here can tell you is going to put your mind at rest! Dump it if you can!

Gui13250 likes this.
  10. Evitzee Jan 17, 2020

Agree, anytime you buy an old watch figure there are going to be things wrong with it and you'll have to put some money into an overhaul. Repair it, wear it, enjoy it.

Vintageous likes this.
  11. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

I am only anxious if a more serious problem is present, which is what I am trying to hopefully find out from experienced Omega owners.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
    The one useless comment I've received in this thread, besides maybe "Frankly, I sympathize with the seller." Thanks anyway.

12. dx009 Jan 17, 2020

Hey @Vintageous. Since I don't have the watch in hand (and I haven't seen the listing nor do I know who/what the seller is) I can't pronounce it 100% but let's just say that normally, even for a non-serviced watch, some of these issues shouldn't arise. But let's not panic!!! All is fixable.

Crown "issue" - there is a stem that comes out of the movement. It has thread on it and the crown simply screws into it. Normally it shouldn't come out like that but it happens. Sometimes watchmakers use a bit of glue when screwing in the crown to prevent it from coming out.

Hand jumping violently - this is something caused by a part called the cannon pinion which simply needs to be tightened (not too much else it'll cause other problems).

I would say that you were a bit unlucky and you didn't draw the longest straw (and I wouldn't buy from that seller a second time) but at the same time these things are fixable.

JwRosenthal and Vintageous like this.
  13. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Thank you for your help and the detailed explanation!

dx009 likes this.
  14. Canuck Jan 17, 2020

Since you posted this thread you have constantly been looking for things to cause dissatisfaction. I just thought my comment about getting rid of the Omega might really help you! Next, we’ll have to endure complaints about the insufficiencies of the job the repair person did with it!

JimJupiter, DaveK and Dan S like this.
  15. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Untrue . . . except I don't really understand what this comment is supposed to mean.
    Got it.

16. Canuck Jan 17, 2020

What that comment means is that I don’t recall you ever finding anything right about the watch!

17. dx009 Jan 17, 2020

Being a novice OP probably just panicked a bit. It's understandable as I imagine he paid a bit more than 50$ for it. It's fine, everything is fixable and there are no major issues. The seller isn't in the wrong here as he didn't mention any servicing so that should be factored in by the buyer and the watch works alright, overall.

That's one of the cool things about watches. That most of the issues can be fixed. (sometimes it's complicated and it can cost a lot but that's a different discussion, hehe)

18. JwRosenthal Jan 17, 2020

I agreee with everyone above on all counts- and welcome to the forum btw! You have gotten to see several sides of personalities here, but honestly- everyone is truly trying to be helpful- including those telling you return it if you’re afraid of potentially lurking issues- nobody is calling you names or assaulting your manhood- just simply trying to gauge your comfort level with older mechanical objects (and a little snark thrown in because we are human).
    Yes, every mechanical watch is going to need a service, and depending on the watch or usage, some need more than others. The sticking hand while setting and crown backing out tells me the watch hasn’t been serviced within at least the last decade- that’s a common issue with watches that have say for years and the oils/ greases dry up and get gummy- almost impossible to set the time/date.
    Omega still makes parts for these movements any worn parts should be available to a watchmaker with a Swatchgroup parts account. Any used watch I buy, I factor the rough cost of a service barring special parts needed- then I deduct that from the asking price and figure out if that makes it as attractive if a value.
    I think you paid a fair price for the watch as-is, it’s in lovely condition and a service will make it a joy to own. Pick up the period correct “bricks” bracelet for it and that will up the sex appeal to 11.
    You got a nice watch at a nice price and all the issues are very standard deferred maintenance issues- relax and enjoy the pride of owning something that pretty.

Oh, and my Connie says hi- and this is the bricks bracelet.
    F59B78BC-DBCF-4DA4-A3D0-AE1EF97A78AE.jpeg

19. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Then you just don't recall.
    How about we leave it at that.

Archer likes this.
  20. Vintageous Jan 17, 2020

Pretty denigrating, for someone who knows nothing about me . . . I'm only a novice here, in the Omega forum, not in other forums. To state the obvious, you have no idea what other watches I own. How about we leave it at that.

dx009 likes this.