Is this a legit Ed-White Speedmaster?

Maybe but also its a pretty huge gamble for a random purchase online for £5k if you dont even know if theres a movement inside 😉

Woah that’s super cheap for what this speedy is imo. I thought these were closer to 10k USD…
You think? Have you looked at the Speedmaster101 price chart lately? It has a Fair condition Ed White at $4K. A really nice one might be closer to $15K but the market has seen a big widening in the gap between exceptional and problematic watches, and this one is more likely the latter than former. If the dial and hands turn out to be OK and the case isnt too worn it may have the potential to be a good category piece, but the current bezel and caseback hold it back rather and to replace both will cost thousands.

Woah that’s super cheap for what this speedy is imo. I thought these were closer to 10k USD…
Well £5k is $6.5 US. Don’t forget it’s head only
My problem with this one is if it has scratches on the dial that has a huge impact on value. I’m happy to gamble with multiple pictures where you can spend time going back and forth to satisfy yourself there’s a good dial under a bad crystal but we don’t have that here.
The market for average Speedys has softened considerably in the last 6 months and while this may be fair with a good dial, we just can’t know from those two pictures, so I’d assess it as fair, based on what we do know.

Or to put it another way, it’s one thing gambling with my own money, I win some and loose some, but when it’s somebody else’s money I like to be more certain, hence valuing it as fair.

@Dan S is right though, a movement shot and a polished crystal may show they’re both good and drive the price above £5k.

Maybe but also its a pretty huge gamble for a random purchase online for £5k if you dont even know if theres a movement inside 😉
Why wouldn’t it be one? But snooze and this will go somewhere else. Each to their own when it comes to risk but this looks honest and is too cheap.

I think most people here with knowledge would jump on it if they had the chance.

Why wouldn’t it be one? But snooze and this will go somewhere else. Each to their own when it comes to risk but this looks honest and is too cheap.

I think most people here with knowledge would jump on it if they had the chance.

If I saw that watch on eBay with a buy it now of £5k and only those pictures I wouldn’t be rushing to buy it (and I like to take educates risks).
I would however be messaging the seller to try and get more information to see if it’s a better watch than it appears

If I saw that watch on eBay with a buy it now of £5k and only those pictures I wouldn’t be rushing to buy it (and I like to take educates risks).
I would however be messaging the seller to try and get more information to see if it’s a better watch than it appears

This!! Its miles away with a few bad pics and a seller who knows nothing of watches. Once I've seen some pics of the movement i'd be prepared for the 6hr train journey to go get it...

It may be a £6.5k watch (I don’t see it any higher due to the bezel and lume) but it may be a £4k watch depending on the dial. For me, there’s no attraction that says I must have it and no upside in the gamble at £5k without more info.

Well.. Someone else would. 😀

It is what it appears to be. An honest Ed White with a dial that looks ok but with saddish lume. It is still way too cheap at £5k. You are not going to find a cheaper or better Ed White for that money.

I would not buy it to sell but if I were happy about the look it is a great deal to be had for a straight lug speedy.

Well.. Someone else would. 😀

It is what it appears to be. An honest Ed White with a dial that looks ok but with saddish lume. It is still way too cheap at £5k. You are not going to find a cheaper or better Ed White for that money.

I would not buy it to sell but if I were happy about the look it is a great deal to be had for a straight lug speedy.

Perhaps someone would. We see eBay auctions returning ridiculously high ending prices all the time that don’t reflect the market.
Perhaps it’s a good buy at £5k. It may well be. But with one picture of the front I can’t say with any confidence that the dial and movement is ok/fair/good. All I know is we have what appears to be a fair case with certainly a fair bezel.
In a worse case it could be worth £4k and in my opinion, the best case is it’s worth £6.5k. Paying £5k seems an even money bet and there are no other factors or attractions that I can see that would make that bet more attractive.

Equally, perhaps others disagree and they see the best case as the watch being worth £7k or £7.5k (I disagree in this market). Then I can see why people would think it’s worth the gamble. But it isn’t to me.

Also consider you have some protection through eBay if it shows up without a movement or one that’s wrong for the reference. The bad photos and the fact it is listed by an inexperienced seller give you some upside for a good deal, despite having to take a gamble. If it were in the hands of an seasoned dealer we all know that wouldn’t be the case.

Perhaps someone would. We see eBay auctions returning ridiculously high ending prices all the time that don’t reflect the market.
Perhaps it’s a good buy at £5k. It may well be. But with one picture of the front I can’t say with any confidence that the dial and movement is ok/fair/good. All I know is we have what appears to be a fair case with certainly a fair bezel.
In a worse case it could be worth £4k and in my opinion, the best case is it’s worth £6.5k. Paying £5k seems an even money bet and there are no other factors or attractions that I can see that would make that bet more attractive.

Equally, perhaps others disagree and they see the best case as the watch being worth £7k or £7.5k (I disagree in this market). Then I can see why people would think it’s worth the gamble. But it isn’t to me.
Each to their own of course. A small scratch on that dial wouldn’t really affect value. It is what it is unless you are very unlucky with the movement. This watch is however not offered by AQ or sketchy Italian dealers so odds are that it is what it appears to be. A used and loved Ed White that will require some TLC.

Hopefully it works out and everyone is happy. Decent looking straight lugs for £5k are not common. I wouldn’t pass on this one and hope for another one any time soon. 😀

Also consider you have some protection through eBay if it shows up without a movement or one that’s wrong for the reference. The bad photos and the fact it is listed by an inexperienced seller give you some upside for a good deal, despite having to take a gamble. If it were in the hands of an seasoned dealer we all know that wouldn’t be the case.

Yeah was my idea to list on ebay for protection but he would want fees covered which puts it at £5.6k! I'm with David, as in the EU these are slightly more common i think i've seen a few better examples selling for around £4.5k-£5k

Is he going to send you more pictures? You don’t need anything complicated, just a handful taken in direct sunlight from slightly different angles to try and get a better feel for the dial that might make the asking price more attractive.

Is he going to send you more pictures? You don’t need anything complicated, just a handful taken in direct sunlight from slightly different angles to try and get a better feel for the dial that might make the asking price more attractive.

Yes more pics and pics of movement, i'll post them here when i've got an update...

Yes more pics and pics of movement, i'll post them here when i've got an update...

Is the watch currently list on eBay?

What I’m saying is, if these pics show that @PerJ is right and the dial is fine, suddenly it becomes more attractive and if several other buyers are seeing the same pics you may need to act fast if you want it.

Well it looks promising - the movement is running (not chrono functions) and doesnt look TOO grimey, just waiting for him to confirm the serial

Well it looks promising - the movement is running (not chrono functions) and doesnt look TOO grimey, just waiting for him to confirm the serial

Looks like you’re really waiting for someone else to buy it before you 😁

Looks like you’re really waiting for someone else to buy it before you 😁

Its mine if I want it, just debating if should ask him to list on ebay and suck up the fees or trek across snowy freezing UK...

I mean dial is good, lugs are good, movement is running so seems like a pretty good deal from what i can tell.