Is this a legit Ed-White Speedmaster?

Hey All,

So I've been offered this rather nice looking speedy that needs some work. I was wondering if theres any glaringly obvious stuff on this and if anybody is able to shed any further info? (I'm not able to get movement pics currently so an offer would have to be sight unseen). I'm aware it will obviously need a full service, the braclet is wrong and without movement pics there is obviously a risk involved.

Any info would be great, thankyou all as always 😀

I don’t see any red flags from the parts visible. Looks very honest and although in fair condition, it should clean up quite well. I particularly like the case and lugs which retain most of their definition and appear unpolished.

If it’s being offered at a reasonable price (ie. not top collectible value and not too good to be true), I’d say it’s worth the gamble. Let us know what you decide to do!

I don’t see any red flags from the parts visible. Looks very honest and although in fair condition, it should clean up quite well. I particularly like the case and lugs which retain most of their definition and appear unpolished.

If it’s being offered at a reasonable price (ie. not top collectible value and not too good to be true), I’d say it’s worth the gamble. Let us know what you decide to do!

Thanks for the super fast reply. Could I ask what you personally think would be a reasonable price? (Given it needs service and bracelet with no box/papers)

It really depends on how and by whom it is being offered. Is it coming from the original owner or their family? From a pawn shop, or a broker? Is it being sold at auction? If this is advertised on the web or somewhere with a lot of visibility, it will attract interest and not be cheap.

Given the work needed, and the lack of a movement pic or a genuine bracelet, I think if you were to pay around the Speedmaster101 assessment price for a Fair Ed White, you would be doing fine.
Edited:

It really depends on how and by whom it is being offered. Is it coming from the original owner or their family? From a pawn shop, or a broker? Is it being sold at auction? If this is advertised on the web or somewhere with a lot of visibility, it will attract interest and not be cheap.

Given the work needed, and the lack of a movement pic or a genuine bracelet, I think you would were to pay under US$7k or equivalent you would be doing well.

Private seller, apparently his father's but no proof of that. Not currently running from what I can tell.
Edited:

Hour chrono counter is completely off, which may indicate an issue, so get prepared to pay for service and parts. Pushers may be service parts?

Hour chrono counter is completely off, which may indicate an issue, so get prepared to pay for service and parts. Pushers may be service parts?

Yeah im very aware the entire movement will need a service, restoring the crystal and braclet etc. I never thought about the pushers being service parts though, thats a very good point; I can't imagine those are going to be easy to get hold of!

I wouldn’t worry too much about the pushers if you’re genuinely interested in the watch. Just act quickly and decisively or the opportunity may no longer be there before you know it.

I personally would want to see more and better photos to full assess, but I see no immediate red flags. The seahorse seems to be completely worn off the back. For price see: https://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/ I would rate the condition "fair" at best. Also see: https://speedmaster101.com/105-003/

Thanks, this is super useful, i had found the second link but not the price chart - which would put it around the $4k mark if i'm understanding that correctly.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the pushers if you’re genuinely interested in the watch. Just act quickly and decisively or the opportunity may no longer be there before you know it.

Yeah chap said he would sell for £5k (UK) plus ebay fees so a little more than the pricelist says

Thanks, this is super useful, i had found the second link but not the price chart - which would put it around the $4k mark if i'm understanding that correctly.

Yeah chap said he would sell for £5k (UK) plus ebay fees so a little more than the pricelist says
I’d put that nearer fair than good so for me it’s overpriced by a grand or so. It might cost you that much to make it usable if you have to find parts and the dial isn’t all that lovely
Edited:

It all looks correct but it’s a buyers market at the minute. There are always buyers for straight lug, 321 Speedmasters so someone may pay £5k but I agree given the risk involved, it should be closer to £4k.
If you can inspect in person to satisfy yourself there is no damage to the dial (or if the seller can polish the crystal to allow a better assessment via photos) and get the back off to confirm movement correctness and condition, then £5k is reasonable. Without this there’s an element of risk which should be reflected in the price.

It all looks correct but it’s a buyers market at the minute. There are always buyers for straight lug, 321 Speedmasters so someone may pay £5k but I agree given the risk involved, it should be closer to £4k.
If you can inspect in person to satisfy yourself there is no damage to the dial (or if the seller can polish the crystal to allow a better assessment via photos) and get the back off to confirm movement correctness and condition, then £5k is reasonable. Without this there’s an element of risk which should be reflected in the price.

Yeah that's interesting and pretty much aligns with the price guide that was posted, given that it's an unknown at this stage. Will see what the buyer says.

😕 Many infos missing to say anything about it, IMO.
-Crown?
-More important: serial? -63/-64/-65 back? pics of sides&lugs?
-Much more important: Dial? (the only pic doesn't allow to see anything behind this glass... agree with @Davidt )
Unless you 100% trust the seller, I would be very carefull... Gamble... It can be the deal of the year... 😝

😕 Many infos missing to say anything about it, IMO.
-Crown?
-More important: serial? -63/-64/-65 back? pics of sides&lugs?
-Much more important: Dial? (the only pic doesn't allow to see anything behind this glass... agree with @Davidt )
Unless you 100% trust the seller, I would be very carefull... Gamble... It can be the deal of the year... 😝

Oh it's a gamble for sureeeee lol! Sadly the seller doesnt know how to open it for the serial which is annoying and their a good 5+ hr drive away from me so would be an ebay sale. I think it's a case of offer what's fair for sight unseen with the value of risk or see if seller can get movement pics and then im happy to pay a bit more.

The seller probably doesn't have polywatch, but you could ask him if he could polish up the crystal with a little toothpaste and see if the dial is good. There's probably a ton of youtube videos to help him. Hard to tell, but the pushers look original.

The seller probably doesn't have polywatch, but you could ask him if he could polish up the crystal with a little toothpaste and see if the dial is good. There's probably a ton of youtube videos to help him. Hard to tell, but the pushers look original.

Great shout, he sent a small video with him holding it and dial did look pretty good to be fair.

He's thankfully going to have a jewellers open the back of the watch for photos tomorrow so fingers crossed 😀

Woah that’s super cheap for what this speedy is imo. I thought these were closer to 10k USD…

Feels like a nobrainer at £5k. I’d be quick to close if I wanted one.

Once the seller polishes the crystal and opens the back and everything looks nice and clean, he'll also realize he set the price too low. Always happens.