Forums Latest Members
  1. afaw34 Jun 8, 2020

bought. thanks for the adivce!

Edited Jun 10, 2020
  2. Dan S Jun 8, 2020

A collector would prefer that the case hadn't been polished so much, but overall, it's not a bad watch. Can you indicate the reference number from the inside of the case-back. Or show a clear photo of it.

Personally I wouldn't pay that price for it, but everyone is in a different position, so price can be difficult to evaluate. Pricing depends on a lot of different issues that take time and experience to understand. We don't know the details of the listing you are looking at, who you are buying it from, whether it has been serviced, is there a warranty, the size of the watch, etc.

The best best if for you to do some research and make your own comparisons by looking at SOLD eBay listings using the advanced search feature, and also by looking at sold listings in the private sales section of this forum.

3. JwRosenthal Jun 8, 2020

^ what he said.
    Dial looks great which is actually not common for newbie grabs, case is a bit soft in the edges which means it’s been hit with a buffing wheel (which is what you will hear as “over-polished” since the sharp chamfers and bevels of the case are part of the appeal. But polishing was (is) very common among watchmakers when they service to make the watch “shiny”. Not a deal breaker but worth taking into consideration if you are looking for a perfect specimen versus just a nice watch to wear. As Dan said, price is high even if it has been fully serviced (by a factory trained watchmaker with an Omega parts account) and comes with proof of service- not the seller saying-“I got a guy”. If no service or warranty, I wouldn’t pay more than $5-600 tops for it, but it is good looking.

HunterJ, DJG2645 and Benbradstock like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Jun 8, 2020

Oh, and welcome to the forum- and hope you stick around and join in on the fun. Check out the classified’s here- no better place to buy than from reputable members here.

Mark020 likes this.
  5. afaw34 Jun 8, 2020

Thanks. The seller says it's a ref 14704-4SC. Also, he says that the case has never been polished.. So is that a lie? He's a pretty reputable seller in the area.

6. wagudc Jun 8, 2020

The service history is unknown, but he knows that the case has never been polished? Something does add up, the case looks polished to me and others here. I would trust the advice you got from @Dan S and @JwRosenthal

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 8, 2020

He may be quite truthful, i.e.: the case was never polished while in his possession.
    However, unless he's owned it since new and it's never been out of his sight while at a service centre or a watchmaker, then his claim is unfounded.

As to price, I don't worry about it unless it's obscenely over the top. If I want something I buy it because the chance may not come again.

8. afaw34 Jun 9, 2020

Thanks guys. I think I'm still going to pull the trigger. Yea it may be a bit overpriced but it's still well within my budget. Does anyone know how much it would cost to service the movement (Cal 591) at a reputable watchmaker?

9. mrbreen Jun 9, 2020

Couldn’t agree more. Case back is unpolished and the dial is in great shape. Appears a bit polished around the lugs to my eyes as well, but not terribly... It may be a tad overpriced, but if you like it, that’s all that really matters. Others can chime in on servicing based on your area, but any decent watchmaker can do it. FWIW, the movement looks clean, so may not be necessary.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. impalla62ss Jun 9, 2020

$250 to $350 depending on the area. More if worn parts need to be replaced. Let us know where you are and a member may be able to recommend a watchmaker in your area.

11. mutanthands Jun 9, 2020

As with any watch deal, always factor in a cost of a service, even if the seller states that the watch "runs well".
    You can use it as a bit of leverage when bargaining too. :)

12. killer67 Jun 9, 2020

I feel the chamfers should be a little more crisp if it was an untouched case. It will be over $1000 serviced which is 35% or so higher than it might be worth but if you like it then go for it. Dial is certainly a good one which isn’t common. Most of all, enjoy it!

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. amcclell Jun 9, 2020

I think this watch is in decent shape. I have a few early 1960's Omega watches including a 1963 135.005 that has the same lug shape as the case here. Mine has a 610, so the case back is a bit flatter. These lugs tend to look rounded in photos and from the side view, the backside of the lugs have a roundness that is normal. The small bevels on the top edge of the watch here are fine. I have a 1963 Century that has the classic lugs with sharp corners that are so often rounded due to over polishing. While I, myself would not buy this watch for the price stated, it is in better condition than the first vintage Omega 166.010 that I bought for roughly the same money. A newbie could do far worse.

Edited Jun 9, 2020
  14. JwRosenthal Jun 9, 2020

Again- agree with all above. It doesn’t matter what “we” think, just what you think. You did your due diligence- the watch is original and the dial is outstanding which to me is where it really counts. The case has been polished at some point, which as I said was totally normally and SOP for watchmakers until the originality craze started around 10-15 years ago. If you love it, then don’t worry about a few hundred bucks (although, as said, see if you knock a couple hundred off in bargaining towards getting it serviced)- dials this clean are indeed hard to find.

15. timecube Jun 10, 2020

Please don't delete your post next time.
    This is annoying.

Thank you for quoting the OP before he could delete his post.