Forums Latest Members

Is going to be s great year. I got to

1. 30t1 Jan 23, 2021

Renew my drivers license in California, online. I was so confused, wow I must be tired and seeing things the covid is finally getting to me.
    But no, I had the renewal envelope on the desk for weeks, not much driving also is the DMV. There is was on the top of the page, you might be able to renew online. The only “caveat “ they use the last photo on file. Boom $ 37.00 some keystrokes and my license is on its way.
    I never heard anything about this program. But so cool, I been using AAA forever to avoid the DMV. Anyway I’m so excited , next my passport

Spruce likes this.
  2. Evitzee Jan 23, 2021

I've done this in Texas for years, can't remember when I last visited the DMV, 15 years maybe. We get a reminder in the mail before the license expires telling us our options, as long as your situation is the same (address, valid license, etc) you can do it by mail.

I think passport renewal requires new pictures and some paperwork, but you can do this by mail after you fill out the forms, attach the pictures and the old passport. Takes a few weeks.

Edited Jan 23, 2021
    Spruce and 30t1 like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Jan 23, 2021

They make you take a new picture every 10 years here in Maryland- I didn’t want to give up my last one as I was 30lbs lighter and had all dark brown hair- and the best DL picture I had ever taken :oops:

DaveK, Spruce, 30t1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 25, 2021

Ours are at the passport office as we speak. The current wait is 10-12 weeks. If you have a valid passport and don't fall into some categories (name-change, error, etc.) you fill out the online form, print it and sent it, your passport, your new picture and $110 to the renewal office.

Other than that my wife's application (certified mail) got lost in the post office for over a week, it's gone swimmingly. If I had it to do over, I would put each in it's own envelope and put both in a USPS overnight mailer. The $20 would have been worth avoiding the drama.

5. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 25, 2021

The key to a driver's license picture is to get really sloshed the night before, set the alarm for way too little sleep, and take the raging hangover into the DMV office. Yeah, I know it makes the wait a b*tch but it's well worth it.

They take your picture and then the next time you get pulled over at three in the morning...

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 25, 2021

Renewed an ID for a gov't agency today, and then stopped by the house on my way back to the office to grab lunch. My 7 year old saw the new ID and asked why it looked like a prison photo.

7. Dan S Jan 25, 2021

Mine needs to be renewed this year, and last time I was allowed to do it online. So the photo is from 2011.