Forums Latest Members

You really never know what someone else is going through...

1. M'Bob Jul 16, 2018

Yesterday, at the gym, I was doing squats, and a guy I know from my community, who doesn't know me, walked over when I was between sets, standing right there, and pulled off weights from the end of my bar to place on his bar for bench presses. A clear violation of gym etiquette.

So I walked over to him, and I said, "Were you certain when you took those weights off my bar that I was finished using them?" He told me he was distracted, and sincerely apologized. Me thinking, geez, what a dip-shit.

My wife calls me this morning, to tell me that this guy's son is in the hospital, gravely ill. So, it turns out, he had a right to be distracted, and I, in fact, am the dip-shit.

I post this only to remind everyone to cut somebody some slack, even if they're acting poorly, because you never know what's going on in their lives. And, it could be you one day who needs the break...

2. sdre Jul 16, 2018

I remember this old saying,

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle,” - Plato

Kudos buddy. Don't be too hard on yourself too :)

Waltesefalcon, rbob99, Faz and 15 others like this.
  3. M'Bob Jul 16, 2018

Thank you very much.

Nathan1967 and sdre like this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2018

Where's the fun in that? ::stirthepot:: :p

WhatYourWatchSay and Fritz like this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 16, 2018

you can always be trusted for a sympathetic ear.

Kmart, kkt, marco and 5 others like this.
  6. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 16, 2018

People might think of you something you aren’t :D

Nathan1967 and ulackfocus like this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 16, 2018

Not Plato. He might have said "Kudos" but not the other thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Maclaren

RawArcher likes this.
  8. michael22 Jul 16, 2018

You handled it well, IMO. Not a dip shit.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. M'Bob Jul 16, 2018

Thank much for the feedback.

10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 16, 2018

Maybe he thought you wouldn't notice 5 lbs missing from each side :whistling:

Uniqez, CTS-V, marco and 2 others like this.
  11. M'Bob Jul 16, 2018

Had he not taken it from just one side, I perhaps would have let it go. Maybe not.

kkt, michael22 and blufinz52 like this.
  12. amiriqbal Jul 18, 2018

Psychologists call this fundamental attribution error:
    Our default position when observing someone else's behaviour is to attribute it to an inherent character trait (they are rude/inconsiderate etc ), and not take into account situational factors.

When we ourselves display aberrant behaviours, as we are aware of the situational factors at play, we seldom label ourselves as rude/inconsiderate people by nature.

The OP's description is a powerful illustration of this concept. One of my main learning points, during my time on this is earth, is the power of the situational and contextual factors on our behaviours vs internal factors/morals/beliefs.

13. amiriqbal Jul 18, 2018

And well done @M'Bob for reflecting on this, learning from the experience, and posting it so we can also reflect!! :)

marco, 89-0, M'Bob and 1 other person like this.
  14. sevenhelmet Jul 18, 2018

Either way, I'd say you were pretty reasonable about it. A lot of guys would have gotten confrontational. Good on you for asking the question and recognizing that it could have been an honest mistake.

M'Bob likes this.
  15. M'Bob Jul 18, 2018

Thank you both for your insightful and generous posts.

sevenhelmet and amiriqbal like this.
  16. BatDad Jul 18, 2018

Asking the question as opposed to starting from a confrontational stance. Skillfully done M'Bob!

amiriqbal, M'Bob and 89-0 like this.
  17. M'Bob Jul 18, 2018

Thank you, but in the spirit of full disclosure, it was tinged with a fair dose of self-righteousness.

BatDad and amiriqbal like this.
  18. Wryfox Jul 19, 2018

With all due respect, this is common sense, well actually just human nature. I'm surprised (not surprised) there is a Psychologist term for it.

If you have no other evidence on which to base an alternate conclusion, one must take the demonstrated bad behavior at face value and conclude a person was in fact being rude/inconsiderate, etc. ie some people are just jerks, and I'm sure there is a clever psychologist term for that too. ::screwloose::

19. M'Bob Jul 19, 2018

You are correct, of course. But the point is, sometimes bad behavior is due to inherent jerkiness, and sometimes the jerkiness has mitigating factors. And often, you won't know them. So, we default to thinking the world if full of assholes (which is partly true), rather than reacting like the world is full of injured people, which is more likely the case.

To wit: you took a perfectly constructive, meaningful post, and then took the opportunity to throw the field of psychology under the bus. Why would you do that? I could think that you're just another, anonymous forum poster with a bug up his ass; or, I could give you the benefit of the doubt, and believe that you're a fundamentally good guy, who for whatever reason, has a bad taste in his mouth having dealt with a psychologist.

amiriqbal, kidkimura and BenBagbag like this.
  20. Wryfox Jul 19, 2018

My point was to boil it down to what I consider to be a logically obvious understanding, with a dash of facetiousness, nothing more.