Forums Latest Members

Is a Speedmaster Moonwatch 42mm too big for a 6.5inch/16.5mm wrist?

1. passingtime Jun 5, 2021

I'm new to Omega watches and this forum. I currently have a Hamilton and Baume & Mercier. Now looking to add a Speedmaster Professional to my collection. I know it is impossible to answer my question exactly as their are lots of factors, and I should probably just go and try a few on. Unfortunately, I don't live somewhere that is easily done. Just curious for those of you that have about my size wrist if you find the 42mm Speedy too large, just right, or too small?

Also, I've been looking at the 80s reference 145.0022 and 90s reference 3590.50. Is this a good spot to land for a first Speedy, and should I be asking about them in the Modern or Vintage Omega thread section? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. smoothsecondscom Jun 5, 2021

I would say so. I think 41-42 are my max in terms of size, and I have a 18CM wrist. Perhaps you could get away with it, especially if your wrist is somewhat flat, but I think it's a bit too large.

You could try a speedmaster reduced though, they look similair, are smaller and cheaper.

passingtime likes this.
  3. Evitzee Jun 5, 2021

Raw size doesn't tell the whole story, all watches of a particular size will wear different on the same wrist. You will really need to try one on to determine if it fits your eyes, it's worth the effort to do that. I never felt a Speedmaster was that big of a watch. I'd say a 6.5" wrist can easily wear one but only you can make that determination.

passingtime likes this.
  4. Shabbaz Jun 5, 2021

I have a 16,5cm wrist

20210602_181511.jpg
    iamvr, vintage hab, richiv and 2 others like this.
  5. passingtime Jun 5, 2021

My mileage will vary I'm sure, but based on your photo, I'll likely be right at the edge of what will work size wise. Thanks for sharing!

6. nwpan Jun 5, 2021

The new Speedmaster fits well with my small wrist on the steel bracelet -- it's how the links drop off and fits around my wrist... The watch fits so well. Previous Speedy bracelets always felt too big on my wrist. Considering that this would be a big purchase, I would personally try my best to make the trip out to a boutique to try it on. For myself, I don't like dealing with the hassle of purchasing a watch online and have to deal with shipping it back if I don't like it.

passingtime likes this.
  7. speedytoronto Jun 5, 2021

I have a 15.5cm wrist (relatively flat) and wear a Speedmaster as my daily. Try it with a strap rather than the last generation bracelet it will wear smaller. The last gen bracelet has “male” end links that make the lug to lug a ridiculous 54mm. I haven’t had a chance to try the new bracelet which shortens the lug to lug significantly. I find for small wrists this is the more important dimension than diameter. As others have said best to try it on but no one has told me the watch looks ridiculous on me yet.
    1E56F029-720A-45C9-92FA-0B7D9AD7DEB0.jpeg
    D08039F0-6FFB-4641-935D-0A0B99989DCA.jpeg

passingtime likes this.
  8. passingtime Jun 5, 2021

That is helpful. When you say "last generation" bracelet, which reference are you referring to? I was going to look for something on the 1171, or even 1450 if I can find it. Both of my other watches are on straps and I'm really looking for a watch that I can wear daily on a bracelet.

9. speedytoronto Jun 5, 2021

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-...professional-chronograph-42-mm-31130423001005
    That’s the previous generation. I know what you mean, I want to wear my Speedmaster on a bracelet too. And sometimes I do especially in winter. I have no experience with vintage speedys.
    I do find the speedy on the edge in size for me. My seamaster 2531.80 fits me better as it’s a touch smaller. It’s my summer watch, the Speedy I wear more often in the winter.

passingtime likes this.
  10. smoothsecondscom Jun 5, 2021

Even though I would probably go for a reduced with your wrist size, this actually wears suprisingly well

passingtime likes this.
  11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 5, 2021

If there is any advice I can give, don’t put too much stock into wrist shots of others. They can help but they can be misleading as well. Everyone’s wrist shapes are different and the close up nature of a wrist shot makes the watch appear much bigger than it is. What looks like it could be too big in a wrist shot could turn out to be very comfortable for you in actual usage. If a Speedy Pro is what you would like, and at their current purchase prices, it would be worth it to make a trip to try it on.

12. speedytoronto Jun 5, 2021

Thank you, I think so too.
    I debated for a long time between a reduced and a Pro, but in the end I knew that what I wanted was the Moon Watch and if I got a reduced I’d still be hankering for the moon watch... and that’s what convinced me. I think if you want a Speedmaster ultimately you’re going to want the real deal.

passingtime likes this.
  13. smoothsecondscom Jun 5, 2021

Fair enough, I guess the reduced might be like getting a peugeot in ferrari red. It looks like the real deal, but it really isn't.

passingtime and speedytoronto like this.
  14. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 5, 2021

And to give you a working example of this, here is a ‘85 Speedy Pro on my 7” wrist.

Wrist shot- it looks like it’s really pushing the limits on exceeding the edges of my wrist.
    E4A694AC-B3EB-4282-9FBE-F518D2D28A8D.jpeg

At normal viewing distance- you can see that it fits way more comfortably within the edges than the wrist shot would suggest.
    4E24DB0D-C299-4351-9D4D-1BFBB402BB2D.jpeg

Edited Jun 5, 2021
  15. passingtime Jun 5, 2021

Thanks for sharing that. I'm looking at the 80s and 90s references like the 145.0022 or 3590.50. Probably not ideal for a first Speedy as they are much more difficult to find, especially in good condition, but as someone who grew up during those two decades, I think I will have a stronger connection to a piece from that era. However, as someone who is new to watches and just starting to learn about vintage watches, it is a tad overwhelming to be sure. I'm definitely going to take my time with a purchase and really look for the right one. Planning to spend a good bit of time on this forum reading as much as I can.

speedytoronto likes this.
  16. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 5, 2021

It’s a good reference ;) here is my ‘85 in better light
    63E73C99-48F6-4BED-AEBF-D45C13A2112D.jpeg

passingtime likes this.
  17. passingtime Jun 5, 2021

Wow, that is a huge difference. Definitely some optical illusion going on there. Also, your example is really splendid for an '85. Those lugs are razor sharp still. I'm very interested in 80s and 90s references. I grew up during those decades and want something from that era. Would that be considered vintage or na? May I ask if it would be okay to pm you about the best way to shop for a 145.0022 or 3590.50?

18. Scooterino36 Jun 5, 2021

Others have said it, but there really is no suitable substitute for trying it on and seeing it for yourself. Measurements are only part of the story. I’ve learned this the hard way a few times (41mm Aqua Terra a most recent example for me). May not be easily done in your area, but totally worth the hassle.

passingtime likes this.
  19. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 5, 2021

Many would consider it neo-vintage and yeah, feel free to send me a message :thumbsup:

passingtime likes this.
  20. Zanzibar Jun 5, 2021

I have a 15.5 cm wrist which is 50mm wide. it allows me to wear any watch with a lug to lug of 50 max.
    the speedy was pretty ok I'd think.
    either way, if you buy an interesting ref and feel disappointed, selling won't be a problem.
    enjoy your next watch !

speedy.jpg

Emil and passingtime like this.