Forums Latest Members

So my first Omega is a Speedmaster Reduced..

1. Bigmoonface Jun 30, 2013

Been collecting Rado's for around 2 years and have just about got hold of all the grail watches I wanted. That being the case I was looking for a new brand to collect and decided on Omega. The Speedmaster was a watch I'd had my eye on for a while and when I saw one for sale at a good price I had to have it! It arrived from Japan in need of repair and service(the seller had made me aware of this) so sent it off to my watch guy. Just got it back from him yesterday and its not been off my wrist since then! :) Just luv it!
    If you are interested in seeing its service and repair have a look at the link below:

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-speedmaster-175-0032-1-calibre-1141/

P6292875.JPG

Varasc and Hijak like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2013

Welcome Chris. Great first post!

I have to take exception to one thing in your link: "Yes, everyone wants one of these. The Moonwatch." It's not a moonwatch even though it looks like one. Only a manual wind (caliber 321, 861, 1861, or others in that line) version can be a moonwatch.

3. Bigmoonface Jun 30, 2013

Yes you are bang on its not a Moonwatch! The Watch guy doesn't make many mistakes but he made one there! :)

4. Hijak Jun 30, 2013

Excellent watch none the less...and excellent picture by the way!

5. Bigmoonface Jul 1, 2013

Thanks Hijak! :)

6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 1, 2013

7. WatchGuyUK Jul 1, 2013

Hmmm... I know where you are coming from, it's of course not identical to the original Moonwatch, but Omega still markets it as the Moonwatch.
    So I thought I wasn't completely off the mark here. If the manufacturer calls it the Moonwatch, I think I can do that, too ;-)

Bigmoonface and Mothra like this.
  8. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jul 1, 2013

Hi,

Nice piece, but can't remember that Omega marketed the Omega Speedmaster Reduced as the Moonwatch. It is a great watch though, I'd like to see it as a tribute to the Moonwatch (hand-wound), but for people who prefer one with an automatic movement. It has been discontinued for a while though, but a few years back it was the only real alternative for the bigger 'Moonwatch' model. I believe the Reduced was introduced in 1988.

[​IMG]

Here is a little write-up I did on the Reduced last week: http://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...ed-versus-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch/

Enjoy your Speedy!!

lama323, Varasc and Bigmoonface like this.
  9. Bigmoonface Jul 1, 2013

Interesting article and great pictures Robert! :)

Robert-Jan likes this.
  10. Mothra Jul 1, 2013

Christian, great to see you on the coolest:) omega forum. I hope you are doing well....

You managed to get that stubborn caseback,back on my reduced early this year, but i have to be honest i also think moonwatch is a stretch....
    :)

11. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2013

I don't recall Omega ever advertising the 3510.50 automatic Speedmaster as the Moonwatch. Got a link or pic of one of those ads?

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 1, 2013

Very nice, I like your taste in watches and whisky, a nice Speyside every now and again balances my preferred smokies.

While the Speedie Reduced may not technically be a Moon Watch, it has the genetics and the looks combined with the convenience of an auto movement, and put that together with a size more suited to those of us with finer boned wrists and you have a winner.

BTW, like your whisky glass too, I mostly use a Glencairn glass but that one is rather attractive.

13. ctime3 Jul 2, 2013

What about the sapphire sandwich?

14. ulackfocus Jul 2, 2013

I'll leave that interpretation to the Speedy guys. Personally, if it isn't Hesalite it isn't the real deal but I'm not a Speedmaster collector.

15. Majmvt Jul 7, 2013

Not sure, but the Speedy might go better with Highland Park 18.....

jconly likes this.
  16. speedbird Jul 28, 2013

Call me crazy but I've always liked the dial on the reduced a bit more than the moon. Something about the added numbers I guess