Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster '57 - yay or nay for a 6.5" wrist? (aka Help me with the Speedmaster Decision Tree)

1. TobiasFunkeMD39 Jul 30, 2018

I'm glad to have found this forum and am hoping to get some feedback about whether I'm heading in a viable direction. I have a small and modest collection of non-Omega watches at the current time; the collection includes a 15-year-old Breitling valjoux chrono that gets virtually no wear, a Rolex GMT BLNR, a Hulk Submariner, and a recently acquired Santos de Cartier. For reasons unknown to me, it dawned on me that I must add a Speedmaster to the herd. Here's where my decision tree gets a bit muddled and needs your sage input:

1. Although I can appreciate the purists' perspective that an iconic watch such as the Speedy doesn't need the extra clutter of a date window, I can't shake the wish to have a date window.
    2. I'd prefer not to have a manual wind movement. If I'm being really honest, I'm into the 9300 co-axial movement.
    3. Most importantly, I'm an ectomorphic guy with wiry arms and girly 6.5" Asian wrists, so it's unlikely I can go over 42mm. I'm not bound by too many dress code factors, as I am a health care professional in private practice and can wear anything from suits to jeans and sweaters to trousers and blazers depending on the day and clientele I'm seeing.

Given these factors, I'm inclined to look into getting the Speedy '57 with the faux patina on a bracelet. I have done numerous searches here and on Google regarding the issue of "Speedmaster 57 for small wrist," and I'm honestly on the fence about whether I can make it work. My concern is the long-ish, straight lugs that threaten to protrude beyond the wrist bone. Am I too worried about it? Or am I right to be trepidatious at this time?

If you guys think I won't be able to rock a '57, what's next on the list? I thought about what some have said about the DSOTM, but the 44mm case size threatens to be even more overwhelming, even if the murdered out finish is slimming. I then thought about foregoing the date window and the 9300 movement and getting the 1957 anniversary Speedmaster, which is a 38mm case size, but was afraid about having regrets due to compromising on my original parameters. I thought about the 38mm editions, but I don't like the placement of the date window within the 6:00 register.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. aesguerra Jul 30, 2018

Straight from a fellow Asian who's wrists are a hair below 6.5 inches, I would say that a 57 Speedy would be just fine. I have a Sturmankie at 42mm that looks well proportioned on me. :thumbsup: But if you want a little visual proof, I had posted a review of a >> 41mm Seamaster << with pictures showing how it fits on my tiny wrist. The lugs are nowhere near hanging past my wrists. In fact, I have room to spare.

That said, I also wouldn't entirely discount the DSOTM either. True, 44mm seems daunting, but how a watch looks on your wrist FROM A DISTANCE is way different than it looks up close. My biggest wristwatch is a 45mm Bulova Lunar Pilot, and while I used to cringe at how huge that sucker looked on my wrist, a few photos I saw of me wearing it taken at a distance revealed that it looked fine.

Still, there's no substitute for actually trying on any watch you're planning to get. I would highly recommend you drop by an AD or a Boutique and drape the watch of your choice (or a visually similar one) over your wrist and take a long gander at how it looks. Bonus if you can bring someone along to tell you what he or she thinks. :cool:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alex

TobiasFunkeMD39 likes this.
  3. Cad290 Jul 31, 2018

I’d recommend the 1957 trilogy Speedmaster. The ‘57 Speedy with the 9300 is very thick and did not sit that well on my wrist

TobiasFunkeMD39 likes this.
  4. Jantar Jul 31, 2018

I’ve got small wrists and here is my 60th on my wrist in the office this morning.

40A9064F-9E1C-47CA-A909-8277867ED7AC.jpeg

cfracing likes this.
  5. Steve Essex Jul 31, 2018

As usual, the only way is to try them on in the shop. I tried on a Speedmaster ‘57 every time I went near an Omega store over a period of about 6 months before I made the decision.

Edited Jul 31, 2018
  6. many Jul 31, 2018

I'd recommend trying them on at the shop and then looking at yourself in a mirror.

7. TobiasFunkeMD39 Jul 31, 2018

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and for replying so promptly to my post. It's heartening to see that a fellow Asian ectomorph can rock a 42mm watch as well as you do. I was always self conscious wearing a 42mm Breitling chrono, thinking it looked like I was wearing Andre the Giant's watch or something. Maybe confidence is key.

I will look to try on various Speedy models. The problem is there isn't a nearby AD here in Princeton, NJ, and I'm a bit reluctant to drive out to Philly with the wife, as she gets stressed when I go watch shopping after acquiring 2 Rolexes within a 6-month period.

Hoping to see more of your images in the near future.

Warm regards,
    J

aesguerra likes this.
  8. TobiasFunkeMD39 Jul 31, 2018

That was my concern. Thanks for letting me know!

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. TobiasFunkeMD39 Jul 31, 2018

Thank you for sharing. This is certainly moving up the ranks for me. Do folks have any recommendations for solid, reliable grey dealers? Is there an equivalent to DavidSW here in the Omega world?

10. kilofinal Jul 31, 2018

11. TobiasFunkeMD39 Jul 31, 2018

12. Meme-Dweller Jul 31, 2018

whose*

13. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 1, 2018

90E9A5F9-E397-400F-8121-E9151D882F78.jpeg

Photo from a skinny wristest Speedmaster owner
    Looks good to me

14. Green Omega Aug 1, 2018

Another vote for the Omega Speedmaster Trilogy 60th Anniversary. I sold my Moonwatch for this one.

15. TobiasFunkeMD39 Aug 2, 2018

You guys might be right about the Trilogy version. Where do I get 19mm width natos and leather straps? I’m assuming my 20mm straps for my rolexes won’t fit the Trilogy speedy.

16. Green Omega Aug 2, 2018

When you buy the Speedy Trilogy 60th anniversary, it will come with the original bracelet, an OEM NATO strap and an OEM leather corner stitch strap at the correct size.