Forums Latest Members

Does anyone else have a fist too big for their wrist??

1. McKinley Oct 9, 2019

Hello all. I have been a newbie member here for about 3 years now. I appreciate all the help I have been given over that time by the senior members here. My question may seem a bit off beat and foolish, but I am serious. I guess I have big hands and since losing 40 pounds and going from a 7.25 inch to 7 inch wrist size, I have had to have all my bracelets taken in, by removing a link, or moved down on the adjustment. One watch in particular is now nearly impossible to put on or take off and I have started to worry about damaging it as I struggle to get it over my hand both on and off each time. That watch is my Omega Speedmaster 145.022-69. Does anyone else have this problem and what if anything can be done to alleviate this problem? Not sure if it makes a difference, but the bracelet is correct for the watch, it is a 1039 and has 516 end links. I doubt anyone can recall the post I made when I made this barn find, but was told that even though the bracelet has been polished it is worth more than I paid for the whole watch. I hadn't even considered separating the two, as they have been together since 1971, per the serial number, but lately it has crossed my mind. What would you do? Is there a quick fix? Can I actually cause more and more stretch and possibly bring on a break if I continue to wear the watch, struggling to get it on and off each time? THank you for any help.

McK

2. Keldaar Oct 9, 2019

Its one of the reasons im not fond of bracelets. Best solution i have is put the bracelet away, and get something similar in a diving bracelet with divers extension. Thats the only way i can get one on.

McKinley likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 9, 2019

Why don't you just wear it on a leather strap?

DaveK likes this.
  4. McKinley Oct 9, 2019

I prefer the OEM bracelet look, but might have to go to that if there isn't a better remedy. I like my vintage watches as close to stock as possible, just like my stock, '65 Mustang. We all have a "thing", right?

5. Keldaar Oct 9, 2019

You can always cut off a couple fingers...

DaveK and McKinley like this.
  6. Mathlar Oct 9, 2019

Don’t worry.. you’re not a freak. In my view the 1039 has a ridiculously undersized clasp and I have to squeeze my hand to get it through (7” wrists with not especially large hands).

McKinley likes this.
  7. M'Bob Oct 9, 2019

I have a fist too big for my wife's...

mydeafcat, efauser, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  8. M'Bob Oct 9, 2019

...fanny pack. What's wrong with you people?

mydeafcat, efauser, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  9. rob#1 Oct 9, 2019

McKinley likes this.
  10. Wuza72 Oct 9, 2019

I share the same fate with you.

I didn´t loose any weight, maybe i should, but i´m sure it would not solve the problem.
    Today i received a new vintage watch with an BOR bracelet and once again i was happy to have another one to add some links. There are some type of watches which needs to be worn with a steel bracelet, but thats my opinion.

A friend of mine could wear my watches, hands are fitting his wrist but not the other way and he owns some realy expensive ones, that hurts some time :)

McKinley likes this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 9, 2019

Congrats on the weight loss :thumbsup:

McKinley and Gaz6263 like this.
  12. McKinley Oct 9, 2019

TY. I am pretty pleased myself.

mydeafcat likes this.
  13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 9, 2019

Turn the whole watch 180 degrees i.e. watch on the palm side.

allwoundup, simonsays and McKinley like this.
  14. McKinley Oct 9, 2019

OMG!! That works awesome!! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you!

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 10, 2019

Try the palm side.

16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 10, 2019

I have this issue too. Interestingly, if I put the watch on with the watch head on the palm side of my hand, it goes on more easily.

Tom

17. gostang9 Oct 10, 2019

I also struggle when putting on a Speedy with 1171 bracelet. As others have mentioned, putting it on with the watch at your palm is easier. Fist is more shaped like a “D” than an “O”, so the large straight side of the watch case back takes up extra circumference when going past the rounded shape by your fingers.

18. roman9662 Oct 10, 2019

Wow! Thanks for the hint. How did I not hear about
    Wow,! Thanks for the hint. I don't remember ever hearing about this before and I'm pushing 70.
    Thanks again