Forums Latest Members
  1. cassius66 May 21, 2020

Hi, newbie looking for advice and opinions (again). I’ve seen this and it’s a local seller. I’m usually put off when there’s no movement pics though, but the seller seems to have good feedback and are open to offers.
    As always thanks in advance for taking time to look and comment. I’ve seen others but don’t want to flood the board with ‘what do you think?’ posts!

BE514A10-F53F-455E-AE72-77FA889F69BC.jpeg 291508D6-FE98-443D-9036-C0BBDA485E29.jpeg
    Edited May 21, 2020
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 21, 2020

If I can suggest, the best way to learn this hobby is to let us know your thoughts on the watch first - condition, price, originality etc. You’ll also get more replies this way. People like to help other people, instead of feeling like they are doing all of someone’s work for them.

Pro Tip: crop your photos so there is no wasted white space taking up our screens :thumbsup:

WatchCor, Awetaylor, efauser and 2 others like this.
  3. cassius66 May 21, 2020

Thanks DaveK.
    They’re asking £575, I know that’s not big money in Watch terms but I don’t want to throw away it on something that’s not original. I like the look of the watch, my thoughts are it’s maybe early ‘70s which is a bit later than I was looking for but I like the condition of it, if not been ‘tickled up’ at some point. I think I’m just wary of picking up a fake or frankenwatch and it’s putting me off making the leap!
    I’ll see what I can do about the pics. It’s a bit of learning curve even knowing the right way to ask something, but honestly appreciate the feedback

Edited May 21, 2020
    DaveK likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 21, 2020

£575 sounds like real money to me, lots of folks with different budgets here, all are legit. I would guess it is a mid ‘60s model, but don’t know the reference so others will need to chime in. More photos, including the movement will be needed.

WYO_Watch and cassius66 like this.
  5. cassius66 May 21, 2020

It’s real money to me too,but looking around the forum it doesn’t seem high number I’ve been lurking on eBay and seeing what watches are selling in my budget range. I usually skip past them if there’s no movement pic but this one drew me in.
    I’ve been avoiding international sellers too as I’m not sure of the customs situation. Having said that I procrastinated about one on the private sales on the forum but it’s gone now!
    Again thanks for taking time to look and reply.

6. Vitezi May 21, 2020

Hi @cassius66 and welcome to the forum! It's a little hard to tell based on your one picture of the dial, but I think the watch dial has been repainted (redialed). For a vintage watch collector, that's a reason to avoid this watch at any price. But a redialed watch might be OK for you if you're just looking for one cool piece that looks nice - lots of vintage watches have been repainted over the years by their original owners, as well as sellers who are trying to spruce up the looks of a tired watch.

As a general rule, vintage watch collectors prize originality over (just about) everything else. Some of us love the look of a well-aged watch while others hunt for original pieces that look like they just left the factory. If you're here to learn about vintage watches or you think collecting them might be a fun hobby, I'd recommend putting your cash back in your pocket, and spending some time reading the (free) threads on this forum. There is a lot of information on how to spot redialed watches as well as advice on how to find a crisp, unpolished case without potential problems with the mechanical movement inside. Here are a few threads to get you started:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/horology-101-understanding-your-watch.76731/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

This thread will show you what other vintage collectors like to wear: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/

Take some time to browse through other threads on this forum - there are many threads that analyze redialled watches from Omega and other brands. By this time you finish your eyes will be bleary but you'll have a good understanding of what to look for in a vintage watch. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Have fun!

Edward53, cassius66, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 21, 2020

Every new member should get @Vitezi ’s note sent to them :thumbsup:

8. Dan S May 21, 2020

I agree on the re-dial, although a straight on photo would be better. As @Vitezi mentioned, most collectors would avoid a re-dial unless the watch were very rare and special in some way, so that it would be extremely difficult to find one in original condition. But for a relatively common reference, you're better off being patient and finding one in better condition. Someone will probably get angry with me for saying that, but it's how I feel.

Of course, the asking price is ridiculous in this case, due both to the repainted dial and the gold-plated case.

cassius66 likes this.
  9. Charlemagne1333 May 21, 2020

Looking at the pictures, there are some red flags showing up. It’s the hour indices and seconds markers that stand out to me. The 4 o’clock indice isn’t centred between the 19 & 21 second markers - it’s quite noticeable. There’s also a noticeable variation of distance of the markers as you go around the dial’s outer edge - most noticeable in the dials upper right hand quadrant compared to the markers between 6 & 12. It could be distortion due to the angle of the crystal, but I get the feeling it isn’t. It wouldn’t be for me. You have a decent, useable budget so something better will come along soon

Have a good one

Have a good one

cassius66 likes this.
  10. Charlemagne1333 May 21, 2020

Don’t know why it posted ‘have a good one’ twice?!

Anyway, have two good ones :)

cassius66 likes this.
  11. DON May 21, 2020

cassius66 likes this.
  12. cassius66 May 22, 2020

Thanks Vitezi, I have combed over some threads on the forum but your links are a lot more focussed and very helpful

13. cassius66 May 22, 2020

Thanks for drawing my attention to that, it looks obvious now and will help me in future searches
    I tried to have a good good one rather two separate good ones

Charlemagne1333 likes this.