Insane rusty 861 envy.

I thought I might have a chance on a rusty 861 movement. Perhaps even the caseback. Dial though is toast.

Screen Shot 2024-07-13 at 9.16.56 AM.png

Had the high bid early in the week. Figured it would shoot up. My worse fears were founded. Not sure at all why that back went for so much. (would be closer to correct for my speedy which has the wrong back on it.) Still frustrates me I misplaced the engraved (initials) back what also came with the watch. Not fun that I lost like close to 1000 bucks. Back was first part in this current auction to go into the stratosphere.

The rusty movement stayed low until the last few minutes. I had my hand ready to up the bid when it doubled in the last few seconds.

I have no problem getting rusty 5xx and 3xx automatics and bumpers. Does not seem fair that I can not get a practice 861. I would expect this from a 321.

I so envy those who can play at this level. At least I can express my jealousy here. There is no real reason to feel so. I have like 20 Landeron movements. I do have an 861 speedy and a Tissot T12, not to mention a Lemania 1280. Not sure how many Venus 170s I have. So there is no logical reason for feeling this way.

Do have consolation in that some Val-23 plates are out for shipping today. So no need to run up a bid on something else. I actually bought those first then saw the rusty one. Guess the Omega market is well above bottom. The other consolation is I have a place like this to share my insanity with. And I still have the Heuer dial Val72, which I got out last night to sort through the parts again.

I find it interesting that I have no qualms tearing into a 565 or even a 505. Still a bit hesitant to work on the 561s. I even got a complete 550 which I have yet to dismember. So it is about the basket cases. The incomplete non runners what I really want to make tick. I'd post a WTB, here but I so like lowballing the offers. So it would be insulting to want what a lot of other folk here want as well.

There was no reason for wanting this other than some FOMO. I hope whomever did get this likes rust buckets as much as I. Not some flipper who does a quick and dirty or sends it on to someone else who is a production shop and has more work than they can handle.