Forums Latest Members

If I had $300,000 to burn...

1. rcs914 Jun 19, 2020

I'm sure there have been more ludicrously overpriced watches on ebay than this, but I am having a difficult time remembering one. Regardless of it being iconic and one of the very first ones of this model as a non-numbered limited edition of 200, the watch itself is in poor shape compared to others of the same model out there. Someone mentioned money laundering above - I'm reasonably certain that a good percentage of ebay sales are that based on some of the stupid pricing I have seen in the past, but this really does take the cake.

2. Stripey Jun 19, 2020

I must say as someone from the UK, the lack of consumer protection in the US astonishes me.

imageWIS likes this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 19, 2020

As a US citizen/ lifelong resident I find that comment funny, as when I travel to other countries I see many conditions where there is no protection (primarily physical) that make me laugh and think "I guess they don't have liability lawsuits in this country" :D

Foo2rama and Stripey like this.
  4. Stripey Jun 19, 2020

I guess we've legislated more, whereas in the US, the courts step in.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 19, 2020

And that is the differences in our legal systems.

The US Civil law system evolved from the UK system as it was in the mid 18th Century. Less regulations and more common law. So if you think someone has injured you, take them to court.

The U.K. seems to be moving away from a civil law system and closer to statutory law like most of the EU. Although now that the U.K. is moving out of the EU, I wonder if that direction will change.
    gatorcpa

imageWIS and Stripey like this.
  6. Stripey Jun 19, 2020

If I may respectfully clarify something, a civil law system generally refers to a codified legal system such as those of France, Switzerland etc, ultimately going back to Roman law. English based systems generally are common law systems. As to whether the UK is moving away from a common law system, I don't think that is true, although I can see that it is a convincing illusion. Over the last forty years or so, judge made law has become ever more prevalent. We saw it just recently with the Supreme Court ruling on whether the decision to prorogue Parliament last autumn was legally effective. It may seem like we are legislating more than ever before, but I think that's true of all systems, and is a reflection of increasingly complex societies. And legislation tends to be about the stuff that affects people in daily life (because politicians are obviously interested to legislate in those areas).

I could talk about this all night, but I'm going to stop now before I get very dull :D

kkt likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 19, 2020

Absolutely agree! But such legislation also create more conflicts and confusion which of course lead to more lawsuits to attempt to figure it out.

I’m just waiting for all the suits related to COVID to hit. Some lawyers are going to get wealthy very quickly.
    gatorcpa

Stripey likes this.
  8. Walrus Jun 19, 2020

It will probably be a class action lawsuit where the lawyer makes 390,000,000 and those that suffered get a check for 15.37

imageWIS, Stripey and gatorcpa like this.
  9. Stripey Jun 20, 2020

Very true, both!

10. rkman11 Jun 24, 2020

11. Canuck Jun 24, 2020

They omitted shipped to Uruguay, Vanuatu, and Zaire. They can’t be too desperate to unload this turd in a can.

rkman11 likes this.
  12. kkt Jun 24, 2020

Wow, I'd forgotten about that until you reminded me! Thanks!

8100_RPM likes this.
  13. kkt Jun 24, 2020

The sad thing is how many companies have taken the wrong lesson from this. The lesson they take has not been "listen when you get repeated complaints about a dangerous product" but instead "get all your customers to sign a waiver so they can't go to court and instead have to go to an arbitrator who will rubberstamp what the company wants." British Airways is the most recent to do this.

Archer, imageWIS and Lucasssssss like this.
  14. rkman11 Jun 24, 2020

Looks like it got updated. Apparently realized they added many extra zeros!