Forums Latest Members

I want to know the authenticity of this quartz watch, it belonged to my grandfather

1. Mandolin Apr 5, 2020

Hello people, I write this post because I have a "problem". I got this watch through my grandfather. My mom and my grandmother bought it as a present from a jeweler of the family, a well known man in my town who always made custom jewels to my family and I believe he already passed away.

We are not sure but my mom says it was bought in 1989. It was in the store side by side with a similar one, squared case, but the jeweler said this was more iconic. The more I know about watches I am not so sure about how iconic this is.

I have checked the Omega web with no results. Then I checked the Omega reddit, where somebody pointed me it might be fake as the logo in the back of the case is supposed to be inside the case and not outside. Then I reach out to you. The information in the back of the case says "18k 0750 QUARTZ".

I am positive about the quality and authenticity of the gold. This led me to think, why would someone fake a case of a quartz watch and strap it in 18k gold? I don't have the tools to open it and it is impossible to me with the COVID scenario. I am not planning to sell it, I just want to know more about this.

Any information about this would be appreciated. As you can see it was very worn, so I guess it made my granpa happy afterall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 5, 2020

The easiest way to tell is remove the back cover. The movement should be omega branded.

the gold hallmark on the stainless back cover does not bode well.

if it’s real the value would be gold scrap value. These are not valued by collectors. Looks like an 80’s quartz piece, which carries little to no value regardless of the maker.

3. OMEGuy Apr 5, 2020

I think this watch is fake or something I haven't seen before.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 5, 2020

I’m leaning that way too. But the dial looks to good. The integrated(?) bracelet looks fake as well and appears plated to me.

it could be a re case....

5. OMEGuy Apr 5, 2020

No "SWISS MADE" on the dial?

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 5, 2020

What country was it originally purchased in?

7. Mandolin Apr 5, 2020

Spain

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 5, 2020

I think it was probably cased locally and is likely 18K as marked.

9. Mandolin Apr 5, 2020

That posibility makes total sense to me, I mean my grandmother didn't know anything about watches but she was extra careful with gold and very picky with the jeweler. I might end up selling the gold and buying a watch myself.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 5, 2020

My thoughts as well.. But I still want to see the inside.

11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 5, 2020

Disagree. Not unusual for that era. Sure, need to see more, but it's not obviously wrong.

Tom

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 6, 2020

A gold hallmark on a steel cover makes no sense and would be 100% fake, but maybe the cover isn’t steel, it might just be the picture.

Foo2rama likes this.