Forums Latest Members

Engraved Benrus gold watch given to my grandfather 50 years ago today

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 12, 2015

My father's parents were married 100 years ago today, December 12, 1915. Fifty years later, in 1965, at the age of 10, I attended their golden wedding anniversary party to mark their 50 years together.

On this occasion my grandfather Sam, known as Papa to all of us, was presented with this watch. Although I don't remember chipping in for it, it was given to him from his 6 grandchildren. Unfortunately today, there are only grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren left so I am the custodian of this fine watch, a 32mm, 14K, hand wound, Benrus.

Over the years the strap had been changed and the original buckle was lost long ago. eBay can be a wonderful source. Today a package arrived with a, perfect fit, 14k Benrus buckle. It felt good to jazz up Papa's watch and remember back 50 years ago.

Another interesting tidbit of information is that today is also the 100th anniversary of the birth of Frank Sinatra. Small world. The wedding and his birth were probably about 10 miles apart.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

watchknut, khmt2, arkstfan and 8 others like this.
  2. Hijak Dec 12, 2015

What a nice piece of family history! And great dial on that too.:thumbsup:

gemini4 likes this.
  3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 12, 2015

What a wonderful memory. I'm sure it will pass down to your son. God willing, several decades from now.

gemini4 likes this.
  4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 12, 2015

This post sure lifts the spirits, many thanks for sharing.

gemini4 likes this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 12, 2015

This kind of heritage is one of the best things about watches!

I have my grandfather's Masonic watch. It's my favorite heirloom.

Enjoy yours!

gemini4 likes this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 12, 2015

I recently restored my father's Glycine Airman SST that he bought when he returned from Viet Nam, in 1968. I presented it to him for Father's Day, this year. Stories like this really bring home how valuable a watch can be to a family, regardless of its monetary value.

watchknut and gemini4 like this.