Forums Latest Members

[Restoration Q] Longines Automatic Ultra Chron watch that belonged to my Grandfather.

1. cpok Jun 28, 2014

Howdy, I was sent over here from /r/watches.

This Longines watch belonged to my grandpa and I was looking for some info on how to go about restoring it. I have a couple of questions though.

1. How much would a restoration of a watch like this approximately run?
    2. How do I go about finding a credible person to perform the restoration? (I'm in Portland, OR if that matters)
    3. Is this watch worth anything?
    4. Anything else I should know about this watch?
    5. Also, I can't seem to find this same watch anywhere online. I dont know much about it (is it a lo108 ?), and my Grandpa has long passed away. Any info would be great.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 28, 2014

That's a very nice watch. Personally, I wouldn't touch the outside, just get it cleaned up a bit and maybe a new crystal. That will keep it in the same condition as last worn by your grandfather.

These were made from the late sixties into the mid seventies. There should be a serial number on the movement that can help date it, once you get it opened. The movement should be serviced (it's a Longines caliber 431 I believe), high-beat. I don't know anyone there, but I'm sure you have a competent watchmaker in a city that size. The movement service shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred, barring the need for any hard-to-find replacement parts. The watch will be worth more than that, but this isn't a high-value vintage piece, and the real value is as a family heirloom.

I don't believe that the watchband is original, but you can easily find a very nice leather strap to complement the watch. Kelaran on ebay makes some good ones.

Good luck with it & post some pics when you're done!

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  3. CdnWatchDoc Jun 29, 2014

Welcome to the OF!
    Fully agree with Darlinboy...a "clean and service" with a new strap will make this piece stand out. I am not sure what the availability of original crowns is like for this model...the experts will chime in soon!