Forums Latest Members
  1. wsfarrell Jan 18, 2017

bender.jpg

tapaptpat, ConElPueblo and Mad Dog like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 18, 2017

OK, but it's not always this tidy :D.

GarageForUB.JPG

3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jan 18, 2017

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 18, 2017

Gotta love this guy!
    Reminds me of Walter White's lab in "Breaking Bad" !

Tritium, lando and Jwit like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jan 19, 2017

tapaptpat and wsfarrell like this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2017

Tackle box :p:p ( aw ::facepalm2:: forgot you live down south ::bleh:: )

JimInOz likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 19, 2017

Ah yes.

I'd forgotten about the Up Top Fishin' Box :D.

74.jpg

ConElPueblo and STANDY like this.
  8. François Pépin Jan 19, 2017

Pretty sure it not only for watches - see the upper level...

9. ConElPueblo Jan 21, 2017

So, delving deeper into the mysterious world of watchmaking (ahem), I had a bit of a bad surprise today. I had removed the dial of a cal. 551 Omega, and a broken part of the movement was stuck at the underside of the dial :(

I took the liberty of stealing the below photo from watchguy.co.uk to show the part - am I correct in saying that it's the check spring? Looking in my old "Practical Watch Repairing" seems to suggest that.

bollocks.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 21, 2017

What the name is depends a bit on where you trained in the world, what brands you work on, and how old you are. It could be called a number of things, such as a set spring, set bridge, setting lever spring...modern ETA movements it's called a setting lever jumper.

Omega calls this a setting lever spring, part 550-1110. Not an inexpensive part...

Cheers, Al

Mad Dog, ConElPueblo and STANDY like this.
  11. ConElPueblo Jan 21, 2017

Cool, thanks for the explanation :)

I did a search and it would seem it's about £/$45...

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 21, 2017

Was expecting more gouging...I serviced a watch last year where someone didn't want to buy a new one, so they made one...proper Omega part on the left (not that I really would have to point that out):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didn't fit quite right, so the post that holds the setting wheel was chewed up badly by the burrs left on this part. Making parts is a great skill to have, but when you do it, make sure it doesn't cause other damage in the process! ::facepalm1::

BTW it was also too soft so didn't have any spring to it really. If someone is contemplating making one, I have heard that old hacksaw blades work well...

Mad Dog, Jwit, STANDY and 1 other person like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Jan 21, 2017

Haha!

That's fantastic :D

14. ConElPueblo Jan 23, 2017

Well, with great curiosity comes, eh, interesting results.

I recently bought a Constellation in so-so condition (the broken setting lever spring was in this!) that I've intended to being a testing ground for some mucking about. The dial was pretty spotted and not too attractive, so I thought - what the hell, let's try to clean it.

Before:

[​IMG]

Now:

DSC_0424[1].JPG

The Constellation dial seems rather solidly "built", which was one of the reasons I dared do this. I wouldn't try it with an older variety!

One of the biggest improvements came from removing the unsigthly rust from the seconds hand, I used wet sanding paper (grit 2500) and took care to avoid applying to much pressure and bending it out of shape.

By dismantling it and fooling around (responsibly, IMO!) I have learned that the setting lever spring was broken and the glass a size too small in diameter (it nearly fell out by itself!), which may have something to do with why there was some signs of moisture ingress on the dial/hands. The movement doesn't seem too bad, even though it has obviously been fondled by someone who couldn't make his pay stretch to finger cots. Or a decent case opener ::facepalm2::

pitpro likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 23, 2017

Did you remove the hands to sand them.?

16. ConElPueblo Jan 23, 2017

Yep. I only sanded the seconds hand, but as I had the dial removed to clean it in the first place, they were off to begin with. Used a pair of hands levers with a protective plastic sheet over the dial.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 23, 2017

Well..... you have moved along young grasshopper. ;)

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 23, 2017

Holy crap!

Watch out Al, competition is looming on the horizon ;).

And to Troels, good work with your hand removal technique, that wouldn't be guidance from our mentor would it?

Keep it up mate, it's a thoroughly relaxing pastime (until you ping a screw off into the wilderness!).

19. ConElPueblo Jan 23, 2017

Eh... I don't think anyone should be afraid of me moving in on the watchmaking territory. It really is fun, but I could easily see it being extremely expensive. I would love to be able to give my time-only watches a reasonable service, but that is as far as my dreams go. I do a bit of research before diving into the various subjecs and when I looked at different hand removal tools, I remembered a thread on here where Al recommended levers. They work perfectly, I must say, and I like the control of the proces they give and the nice level of feedback.

François Pépin likes this.
  20. François Pépin Jan 23, 2017

I like levers too! I would not go back to the other removing tools I used to use before.

I have seen watchmakers that also use them for hairspring removal from the balance. I have tried and I do not feel comfortable with that way. For the moment I prefer to use little and sharp screwdrivers - but maybe it is because I have levers too big for that operation.

Al, can I ask you what tool you use to remove hairsprings from the balance?