How Many Leica Guys Do We Have?

HoleeJeezuz, if I had all the money I spent on Leicas over the years, I would be much more solvent. Retired newspaper photographer (1975-2014). For slam bang news photography, nothing beats the Leica, and the glass is THE BEST. The problem is that every paper for whom I worked furnished Nikon gear. All the controls are 180 degrees backwards from Leica's, and that can cost a photo in reaction time. Sports is a major segment of news photographers' time ,and that means long lenses, leaving Leica sucking wind. That, and the Leitz gear was mine, and not covered by paper's insurance..... and the shift to digital was not Leitz's finest hour. That taken into consideration, if I'm going to make a pic now, it is with a Leica "wannabe" Fuji X100. That leaves me with a few $$ to acquire Seamaster variants......

Ok... What else is there here to make me suffer? Connie thread, Baking thread, Pocket Watch thread.. and now I'm discovering this :-(

It’s the Leica M10 with Zeiss 15mm and optical finder- lens is totally rectilinear.
Yeah, and pigs fly out of my butt!

Ok... What else is there here to make me suffer? Connie thread, Baking thread, Pocket Watch thread.. and now I'm discovering this :-(
There's a baking thread?

It’s the Leica M10 with Zeiss 15mm and optical finder- lens is totally rectilinear.

The Voigtlander 15mm rectilinear is a great lens also imho.

The Voigtlander 15mm rectilinear is a great lens also imho.
I have one on a Leica MDa for a super wide point and shoot haha.

They got it right at the beginning, all down hill from there... 😉

I like Leica for the simplicity of operation. I accept that many other brands can produce pictures of equal quality, but I like using Leica. Q2 is an excellent camera - most of what you get with a M series but without the temptation to plough vast amounts of money in lenses . I love mine, even though I still get tempted by a M10-R plus 50mm APO...

Here there is another Leica fan. I learnt photography at 14 yo with a Robot rangefinder camera. Using B/W and revealing by myself. I moved to Canon reflex and Nikon when I had more money, but starting at this time the AF and some automatic controls. I felt that I were losing some control of the parameters I only need to make a photo: Aperture, speed, focus and framing, so I almost stopped and sell my Reflex gear. I bought few years ago a 2nd hand M6 and after M9, M240 and M10 (that I still own except M9), with several M and R lenses I use.

Below some of the configuration I use to "street" and some photos.

Now this is a fantastic thread! @Scarecrow Boat thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Here are a few shots w my DS M3 from 55 paired with my faithful Summicron 50 from 56. Shots are from Vancouver BC and Montreal QC - cheers!

DS M3’s are the bees knee.
Mine is paired with a Canon 50/1.2for low light occasions.

So with dial prices hiking up evermore, internal completion about film with my daughter 😀, I broke down and bought a digital M.
Had to save a bit but I now can use all my Leica M, LTM and Zeiss (pre, postwar and modern)again.
It took some time for all the settings to comprehend, more like what do I need And what not, but now it kind of works. The light metering is still a bit of a challenge as my ZI did such a great job.

So with dial prices hiking up evermore, internal completion about film with my daughter 😀, I broke down and bought a digital M.
Had to save a bit but I now can use all my Leica M, LTM and Zeiss (pre, postwar and modern)again.
It took some time for all the settings to comprehend, more like what do I need And what not, but now it kind of works. The light metering is still a bit of a challenge as my ZI did such a great job.
Congrats and welcome! I find the Leica UI to be among the best out there (Hassy is the best) but it takes a little bit for your brain to decompress from the multi-layered stack of useless shit Nikon and Sony have to the fairly streamlined menus on Leica.
As for exposure, I leave it on manual and expose for highlights- shadow retrieval is excellent in the newer M’s (M10-R and M11), and if shooting aperture priority, I do EV -1/3 in bright daylight and that tends to keep the highlights in check.

Congrats and welcome! I find the Leica UI to be among the best out there (Hassy is the best) but it takes a little bit for your brain to decompress from the multi-layered stack of useless shit Nikon and Sony have to the fairly streamlined menus on Leica.
As for exposure, I leave it on manual and expose for highlights- shadow retrieval is excellent in the newer M’s (M10-R and M11), and if shooting aperture priority, I do EV -1/3 in bright daylight and that tends to keep the highlights in check.

Thanks for the tips.
I like spot metering/or very center heavy metering. So it is a question of which parts of the image to measure and hold that metering. For sure this way any mistake is mine 😁