Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

For some strange and unusual reason, in spite of being a computer systems engineer with a background in microelectronics, I'm strongly attracted to fine pieces of mechanical engineering. I like my watches mechanical, I like my cars with three pedals and a stick, and for some reason, I'm strongly attracted to the Leica M rangefinder system.

Now I should also mention, Trev is much the opposite, he's been telling me I'm crazy for wanting a stupidly expensive, manual focus, 1950s designed camera that's more of a curiosity than a piece of serious kit.

So I'm sitting on the fence a little bit here. For some intangible reason, I see a second hand Leica M9 with a 50mm Summilux Asph in my future, yet I'm not a professional photographer or even close to it, just a nerd that absolutely loves toys, and as boring as I found the process of taking images with a DSLR, the Leica rangefinder system just seems fascinating... and something I would really appreciate and enjoy.

Tough call is that it costs a mid range Rolex to find out if I'm an idiot or not :)

Carlos9626, CajunTiger and mikekchc like this.
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure Dennis will let you know the answer to that for a lot less than the cost of a Rollie ::bleh::

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

I'm thinking of adding the world Rollie to the forum's censoring software, it sounds like something you'd hear an old bloke saying at a Boca Raton pawn shop. :p

But this isn't about Rollie's, its about Leicas :)

Paulomega likes this.
  4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 22, 2013

I don't own one but I have toyed with the idea of getting one. Now I really want a Sony RX1 even though I am not a serious photographer. I just want to take better better pictures of the watches.

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

apsm100, davidswiss and cicindela like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

^ Ignore him :)

7. ulackfocus Jul 22, 2013

Love the matching fanboy caps. Now they just need logo windbreakers to complete the look. :p

Never met Ash so I'd be going on circumstantial evidence alone. Need eyewitness accounts and solid video evidence to make a strong case. :D

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

[​IMG]
    Boy you really know how to cut deep, I like that. :thumbsup:

isaac.owen.nz and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

littlesheep81 likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

I've known Leica nuts all my life, so I can give you a more reasoned argument. If you were born in 1940 your thinking would have been solid, but you can't go back in history. Sometimes I wish that I lived in the early 1900's, very romantic. You can read the books, but you can't jump in. Leica was/is fantastic stuff. I can see where it would have great appeal to someone who collects Golden Seamasters. But, you can only devote your energies to so many hobbies, and Leica at this point would be another hobby of "collectables" . Photography has far advanced from that moment in history. The varieties of quality films has greatly diminished. It does not lend itself well to enormous potential of Photoshop. The fancy cameras and inspiring lenses are only one facet, you also need the gamut of the darkroom, great enlargers, paper, chemicals, space to properly realize the product's pinnacle potential.
    No your not an idiot, though if I lived in Australia and was a guy with a tiger, I too would call you one.
    But there are always pulling forces in life and sometimes that path that leads to Shangri la is best left for dreaming. In another life you might have piloted a a P-51 mustang, but instead you have been thrust onto the cusp of electronic digital discovery. Develop your interest and abilities with your new Canon gear, you have barely scratched the surface there. Go out and use it, don't just sit home and take pictures of watches. Go north and shoot the wonders of the tropical jungles or go out on to the reef. Head out into the outback and try to see simple wondrous things that no one has ever seen before. Then come back and see if you really want an old Leica camera, they'll still be there.

byunjoe, apsm100, KingCrouchy and 7 others like this.
  11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 22, 2013

Clear and to the point argument......:thumbsup:. I will keep this reasoning if I've ever wanted oldies hobby again. For example I am tempted to build old style hifi audio system again... or vintage car. It is less cumbersome than roll-film camera but still more problematic hobby compare to vintage watch. I think I will stick with vintage watch for sometimes. Probably even only Omega vintage watch (with UG and Zenith here and there.......).

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

BTW I'm not actually talking about a film version, M9 is full frame digital ;)

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 22, 2013

Ah ... it is different animal then. My older brother has deep affection to Leica camera. He already had professional level DSLR Canon and Nikon, but still talking about Leica in awe. Is that only branding or a real product difference? I don't know. ::confused2:: I never bother to see his photo shoots difference.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

BTW a friend of mine just sold all of his Leica Digital gear, about 50k, and bought all new Nikon. He found the Leica too frustrating and limiting. Germans always a step behind in this field, now cars...;)

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

Both ;)

The lenses are amazing, but I don't understand the rangefinder appeal at all, especially in digital. Just slap the awesome glass on a D600/800 and be done with it :D

wsfarrell likes this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

You can also slap with some very fine Zeiss.

sxl2004 and wsfarrell like this.
  17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

That sounds dirty, and I'd be worried about damaging the lenses...

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

Just clean the front element off with a fine Bengal bristle brush.:D

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 22, 2013

If you want a rangefinder, get the recently released fuji x100s - well built with an excellent built in lens. At a fraction of the cost of leica.

Don Bocadillo and wsfarrell like this.
  20. woodwkr2 Jul 22, 2013

I second the fuji x100s. I own the first version, the x100. It's a phenomenal little piece of kit and the simple fact that you cannot change lenses really makes you think about composition rather than NLAD (New Lens Acquisition Disorder).