How Many Leica Guys Do We Have?

In 2015 I was moving to work with the US Embassy in Kuwait and had movers pack up all my things. After that move I was never able to locate my Leica camera and thought it was gone forever. I was able to locate all of my other photography equipment and fortunately I put the lens, Summilux 50 onto my Sony 7ii so it was safe and sound.

Well for the last couple of days I’m been cleaning out my garage in the hopes of building a home gym. Going through some of the boxes I’ve been lugging around for ages, I found a nice little surprise. Now I have some real decisions to make, do I keep the manual film M7 or sale it and go after the M9 that I’ve always had my eye on. 😕
I can help you answer this in 29 seconds. Do you still have the means to process your film/scan it?
Do you have a lab easily accessible that can process it/scan it for you?
Do you enjoy the process of analog versus the rapid product of digital.
If you answered yes to 1or 2 and 3, then keep the M7. If you say no, get the digital. But as a regular user of an M9, i can tell you it is very much like a film camera with a native ISO of 160 and same handling as a film Leica- I love it but I also loved shooting chromes in my M6- which is exactly what this feels like. The M9 isn’t doing hand held church interiors.

Also, the M10 is a lovely camera with the same handling but is a CMOS vs a CCD. You lose the “filmy” quality of the CCD going up to the M10 but you gain low light sensitivity and ultimately better perceived sharpness.
We had the first gen CCD monochrome at work and when the CMOS came out we were offered an upgrade, so we traded the CCD in. After getting the new one we realized how different it looked, not necessarily better or worse, just different. Plus the CCD did scale focusing like a film Leica whereas the CMOs you really has to use the rangefinder. We called the shop to which we traded and bought the CCD back, so we have both now. The M9 and M10 are very much the same situation- different, not better.
Edited:

If you want a rangefinder, get the recently released fuji x100s - well built with an excellent built in lens. At a fraction of the cost of leica.

I'm doing a bit of an archeological digging right now but I've seen these comments on every photography forum/page for years now. It's funny because Fuji does not currently produce a single rangefinder camera so it seems weird to me to recommend Fuji to anyone wanting to shoot with a rangefinder camera... Maybe someone needs to show me where the rangefinder is on the Fuji X100 series... (there is none).

I'm doing a bit of an archeological digging right now but I've seen these comments on every photography forum/page for years now. It's funny because Fuji does not currently produce a single rangefinder camera so it seems weird to me to recommend Fuji to anyone wanting to shoot with a rangefinder camera... Maybe someone needs to show me where the rangefinder is on the Fuji X100 series... (there is none).
Just skimming this, it looks like a digital rangefinder coupled to a viewfinder. Never handled one but I've known a few photographers who have used and loved these.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100.htm

Yep, that's what it is. As of this review, the only two brands to ever produce a digital camera with an integrated rangefinder were Epson and Leica.

Yep, that's what it is. As of this review, the only two brands to ever produce a digital camera with an integrated rangefinder were Epson and Leica.

The Epson being a Voigtlander rebranded... made by Cosina. (I had the film version.)

Here's some crossover for you: I sold this on eBay recently. It's a shoddy watch, but I got decent money for it, I think because some photographers bid on it for the name.

Mad scientist M3, 35mm Summicron, and meter. In the background M2, IIIF, and varying Summicron/Elmer lenses 😁

Just sold my Leica M7 and 50mm Summicron ver 3 today. Still have the M9 and a plethora of lenses to go with it. Wish I could find time to shoot.

I have a Leica DISTO™one rangefinder. Does that count? Seriously, I owned and M9 and a Leica Q and found them both to be overpriced and woefully inadequate at anything other than looking pretty.

You want photo jewelry? Leica is your brand. Are you serious about photography? ALL of the offerings from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, Sigma, Sony, Yashica (whom am I forgetting?) beat Leica. The "look" and "rendering" of the glass? Easily recreated with other vintage (read: old) glass.

Probably a controversial question, but is Leica really worth the jump?

I’ve been shooting Nikons and a few different Contax’s and have loved those. I’ve certainly been wanting the Leica experience but have never been able to fully understand why I want a Leica other than the hype that people have placed on them. But I know in most cases this hype is warranted! Can those in this thread that enjoy Leica’s help me out?

You pay extra for the familiar simplicity.[/QUOTE]

The premium paid for leica cameras or lenses for getting better quality images is not worth he jump. Zeiss glass was never second to any leitz lenses, a Planar 50mm 1,4 is not inferior to a Summilux 50mm 1,4 ( just to name one). probably Leica it's worth the jump only for an investment purpose, Leica is like Rolex , it always had a stronger revaluation over the years, more than any other cameras ever made. they a made some variations on their lenses with a limited production, that helped the value to skyrocket, like the old black Summicrons M mount, or Noctilux 50mm 1,2, etc. people started to create a cult on leica that got stronger from the late 80's up to now, so today we're witnessing a bull market of the Leitz brand, that does not justify the quality of the images.

Just received this

Looks unused. Came with all the original manuals and boxed accessories, which also appear to be unused.

The M2 is currently out for CLA with both 50mm’s and I took the M3 to the redwoods with me yesterday.

This one might be my favorite though.

Sent my wife’s 20 year old Leica binoculars in for service recently. The grease had separated and leaked out from the hinges. Leica cleaned, adjusted them and had them back within 6 weeks. Cost was $0. Did not even have to pay for return shipping. Customer service does not seem to be lost at Leica.

No papers but the box. The serial is written on the back side of the bottom box
you have a nice 8 elements 35mm summicron there, made in Germany , rarer than the Canadian one. good piece to have especially complete with box👍