Forums Latest Members

How do you keep tracks of your watch knowledge ?

1. YYTIN Jan 23, 2021

Hi,

When I see all the knowledge of some of you, I am wondering how do you keep track of all this knowledge about the watches you have, you've had or you search ?

So far, I've simply kept track of the different websites, blogs etc but I feel that I could start going through an old school path of gathering info and putting them in a notebook...

Is anyone doing so ?

IMG_0610.jpg

Just curious and looking for inspiration & methods :)

Walrus likes this.
  2. kaplan Jan 23, 2021

Not knowledge but I plan to document my inventory, incoming, outgoing items, information about the watches I have etc. - If I don't do it soon, it's going to seriously overwhelm me when I do so

I'll probably print them for long term storage, so those who find it later in time, won't start 100 posts on omegaforums2070.net :D

vintage hab and YYTIN like this.
  3. Vitezi Jan 23, 2021

4. YYTIN Jan 23, 2021

Hi @Vitezi

Thanks for both thread & book idea : I will use the ideas of this watch collector book :) and now that I have read all the concerns of the community on the different data policy related to apps/website : I will consider getting out of my own Chrono24 collection list...

I did enter the watches there to keep a track, did also use some kind of excel spreadsheet as well as some notes here on my laptop of the different sellers description... but I was effectively more in the mood of looking for and completing those with extra information, history (maybe digging some all advertising)... well putting somewhere all the nice stuff I read before actually choosing one model in the first place.

And I believe I will do so by hand writing... maybe using candle light :)

cvalue13 and Vitezi like this.
  5. ExpiredWatchdog Jan 25, 2021

I like to take imprints of the tracks with plaster of paris.

DaveK likes this.
  6. andrewlaeddis32 Jan 25, 2021

That's the same thing I have been wondering as a newbie. It's quite intimidating. I mean, there seems to be a lot to learn. Throughout the day we work with either a day job or self-employment. We have to eat and breathe, go number two and answer the other nature calls. Spend time with loved ones. Smell the coffee, do chores, E.T.C. I can go on like Bubba in Forrest Gump when he didn't run out of things to say about shrimp.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 25, 2021

Backed up lists of bookmarks and folders of saved info also backed up.

connieseamaster and YYTIN like this.
  8. JimJupiter Jan 26, 2021

I started my own webpage, so anyone else could alsp participate :D
    Well, just works for one brand without becoming to confusing for others.

Nico

Norfolk and YYTIN like this.
  9. levkov Jan 26, 2021

Funny i stumbled upon this thread first thing this morning, as I've spent all night last night uploading my personal collection on chrono24 :)
    However the price tracking tool is near to useless for a vintage enthusiast..
    Apart from that, I keep track of my watch knowledge by logging all of the important info in Excel (I work with excel all day long, so even my vision board is in Excel :) ) Than I keep going back to my Excel file, fast forward few years and you find that you go back to it less and less.
    Then you start thinking you know it all, until you stumble upon a teeny-weeny sub-area in the deep dark wood of vintage watches, and realize that you know nothing :D

connieseamaster and YYTIN like this.
  10. alefar Jan 26, 2021

I had the same thought two days ago. I am thinking of writing down information about the watches I have and have had on a notebook:thumbsup:

YYTIN likes this.
  11. YYTIN Jan 26, 2021

Hi... can you share with us your webpage ?

12. YYTIN Jan 26, 2021

I finally started : I went through all the different webpages (at least the ones I saved links) and started to collect and copy/paste all different info on a note file per watch... and then I do pick some info relevant to my own watch and do a kind of written descriptive summary.

What seems to be an endless task finally ended up in a One page for my first watch which is a connie pie pan...

So at the end I believe it will end up like this for me (I'm not expert enough to go deep into the technical part of the movement): 1 pager for each watch wrote down in a notebook.

(And I will keep those excel files of mine, the C24 watch collection, and my notes with extract from articles/blogs)

13. JimJupiter Jan 26, 2021

sure. it's Enicar101.com and as the title suggest, just keeps track of the knowledge to (my) Enicar watches.

Nico

levkov and DaveK like this.
  14. zoohannover Jan 26, 2021

levkov, YYTIN and JimJupiter like this.
  15. YYTIN Jan 26, 2021

Wahoo that's pretty cool thanks. I love Enicar ! Don't have one yet but some models have been in my mind/wish list for quite a while :)
    Congrats for the website :thumbsup:

JimJupiter likes this.
  16. vintage hab Jan 26, 2021

I keep photos of all my watches (including inside case) on my dropbox, and have a list with all pertinent information (reference, serial, purchase date, cost, last service, etc) in a spreadsheet. Of course all the paperwork says in the box.

17. Norfolk Jan 26, 2021

I have done the same thing but for all watches! Crazy ambitious but some like minded collectors are contributing. I am putting my watch collection and what I have researched on them up on Chronopedia. In time (read many years!) I hope it will become a valuable resource for others.
    https://chronopedia.club/Main_Page

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2021

I don't - I relearn it from scratch each morning....

19. YYTIN Jan 26, 2021

That's great ! Thanks : I see that you people are more ambitious than me :)

20. YYTIN Jan 26, 2021

Wise very wise :)
    Well I guess I do not believe either than a 1page will be it for ever (For sure, and even more considering where I start from, I'll have opportunity to learn more everyday of my life:))
    In this perspective the approach of @Norfolk & @JimJupiter is clearly a great (kind of wiki) one !!