Forums Latest Members

How do you guys get pictures of your watch movements

1. IanES Oct 22, 2019

All you guys who post pictures of their watch movements - do you all have special tools to open watches? Where do you get them? or how do you open them?

Thanks
    Ian

2. KingCrouchy Oct 22, 2019

Yes, I always use this great tool. No I bought proper tools at cousins.uk, I just wouldn't take the cheapest options as those often break and damage your Watch.
    I would just pay attention to not destroy any Watch while opening it. Knowing my skills I try to not do it too often. ::facepalm1::

61m7oML1wTL._SY355_.jpg
    kkt, IanES and trash_gordon like this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 22, 2019

I have a special x-ray camera.

4. Bakertime Oct 22, 2019

It depends on which watch you’re trying to open. There are snap backs that require a case knife, there are screw backs that require a special wrench. Maybe post a picture of the back side of the watch you’re trying to open for some more guidance.

5. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Speedmaster Moonwatch

6. Bakertime Oct 22, 2019

http://speedmaster101.com/pahawis-opener-the-only-one-to-have/

These are cool and fun but may be over kill. You can use a two or a three prong caseback wrench to open a speedmaster case back, three prong is a little safer. Consider placing a thin film of plastic in between the wrench and caseback to protect it.

Pahawi and SpeedyPhill like this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 22, 2019

When you do get the caseback off the watch be sure not to spill out any of the Omega Pixie Dust®

TwinPeaks and p4ul like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 22, 2019

or Helium.

p4ul likes this.
  9. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Years ago I bought a tool for opening Rolex. It came with 5 or 6 dies and a t-bar. One of the dies fitted real snug and I went for it. I guess I didn't have enough downforce because it slipped and made a real mess of the case back. Never tried to open a watch again.

AWBaker, thank you for the link. That tool kind of looks similar to the rolex one I had. (die and t-bar but no case holder. How do you make sure there's enough downforce? Wouldn't there need to be a case holder or something so you can put a lot of pressure downwards to make sure the die didn't jump out of the slot?

10. Davidt Oct 22, 2019

I use a generic three prong adjustable case back opener (much better than the two pronged ones). For snap in case backs I use a razor blade.

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 22, 2019

Speedmasters have helium! Oh crap!

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 22, 2019

Yes, most of us that take movement shots have special tools and (mostly) know how to use them properly.

For the beginner I would suggest letting someone qualified open your watch, you can take pics and they can close it correctly.

Given time and experience on clunkers, you will be able to do the same.

13. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Hey. When I moved into this house there was one of those tools in the workshop. I guess the guy who lived here before me was a watch maker. I'll give that a go. I guess I just need to clamp the case good and tight in the vice and give it a sideways whack with that thing. Happy days.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  14. trash_gordon Oct 22, 2019

I try it first with a squashball. No risk of damage.
    If it not works with a squashball i use doublesided powerstrips attached on the table and put the watchback on it and turn while pushing it down.

redpcar, KingCrouchy and IanES like this.
  15. IanES Oct 22, 2019

No. Mine doesn't. After 'opening' it with KingGrouchy's tool everything, pixie dust an all, went flying across the workshop and now I can't get it all back in the case.

Maybe it doesn't matter if I can't get it all back in the case. When I repaired the gas boiler this morning I had bits left over and it still works. I'm feeling a little sleepy. I'll have a nap now and look at the watch later.

Edited Oct 22, 2019
    Vitezi and DaveK like this.
  16. IanES Oct 22, 2019

Hey. I tried this but had the tape stuck to a piece if plastic and tried it pushing my hands together and the tape just scrunched up. Back didn't budge.

Your idea of sticking the tape on the table sounds better.

trash_gordon likes this.
  17. trash_gordon Oct 22, 2019

Even on table it can scrunch up the tape if the back is tighten to hard

18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 22, 2019

I’m going to go out on a limb and say I bet there’s a video or two on the inter webs on how to open the case back on a Speedmaster. :whistling:

DaveK likes this.
  19. IanES Oct 22, 2019

I'm sure there's video, pictures and advice "on the web" answering every question ever asked on this forum.

Hey. This site is also "On the Web". Why should advice from 'other' sites be any better than the advice from members of 'this' site?

Most people arrive here the first time after 'googling' for advice and finding this site top of the search results. If everyone clicked on the second result on google then nobody would arrive here at all and you'd have the place to yourselves.

blufinz52 likes this.
  20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 22, 2019

I assume that you know, but many seamasters are top loaders, requiring a special tool to remove the crystal to get at the movement.

Practice taking photos of shiny things at home, taking photos at a watchmaker’s can be frustrating with the indoor lighting (soft natural light is best). A good trick is to hold a smartphone a foot above the watch, then zoom in while keeping the one foot distance. For some reason, this often works. If your watchmaker is generous and has space for you to set up a light box, then there’s a nice afternoon of photography for you.

Edward53 likes this.