Forums Latest Members

Which app for watch collection?

1. Mauzer Jan 28, 2019

Hello OF,

Last year I’ve been using “Watchbox” to have save my collection. However, it only works with internet and the user interface is limited.

An alternative is the “my collection” part of Chrono24, but more or less the same....

I do save some data in excel, but would be nice to have an app to see pictures and some background.

Are there other apps that you might think of?

2. Muddlerminnow Jan 28, 2019

Pencil and paper? Probably not good for the pics, but keeping handwritten notes on your watch collection is nice--get some good quality paper, like Fabriano hot press water colour paper, 180gsm, cut it into cards a size you like (I like 5 x 7), and just write and add notes over the years, and paper clip little additions to the cards, and this way you can create an archive the old-fashioned way--manually.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. Flatfoot Jan 28, 2019

I can't help with an app reccomendation.

Spreadsheets and a simple file on each watch, and correctly backed up works well for me.

I would be most reluctant to have a web- based app (Chrono 24 or others) keep a record of my collection. In who else's hands that information ends up- besides yours- is not at all clear to me.

4. Evitzee Jan 28, 2019

I use an Excel file which I first started as a Lotus 1-2-3 file back in 1987 which was later converted. But I know the cost of every watch I have ever bought and it's sale price or current market value, internal rates of return for each watch and in total, serial numbers, movement calibre, strap dimensions, how many made, year made, repairs or overhauls, etc, basically every detail about each watch that is available to me. It takes about 30 minutes each time I buy or sell a watch to update it, no big deal and I get satisfaction in reviewing the 60 or so watches I have and updating current estimated value of each. It's part of the hobby for me.

Franzlad, TimeODanaos, DaveK and 6 others like this.
  5. BenBagbag Jan 28, 2019

I wouldn't consider using an app unless I understood the privacy policy and what the developers were able to see. Even then I wouldn't go for it. I made a Excel/Google spreadsheet and it's just fine.

Larry S, DaveK and D.D. like this.
  6. verithingeoff Jan 28, 2019

Same here, works fine and easy to maintain

7. Au79 Aluminium Jan 28, 2019

I don't know how many watches you have but if you don't have hundreds of watches, I am with the rest of the posts here. Excel is the best. You can save the Excel file to a cloud like Google drive and download a copy of it to your phone, pc, or tablet to use offline. Whenever you make an entry, just upload to the cloud to update.

Now if you do have a super large collection or trying to run this as a business, I would suggest a database program. There are some free and open source database software out there but they do have a steep learning curb for you to get proficient at. Again, unless you have a stupid large number of entries or trying to do this as a business, the effort is not worth the reward IMO.

8. Mauzer Jan 29, 2019

Ok, that’s all very clear!

I do use excel for database of my watches, but adding pictures is quite difficult.
    I’m also not a fan of a web based app where a company like Chrono24 has your information.

But I would like to have a virtual watch box, where you could see pictures of your watches.

Looks like there isn’t a solution for this yet, surprisingly though.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments!

9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 29, 2019

:whistling:

Walrus, oddboy, TimeODanaos and 4 others like this.
  10. queriver Jan 29, 2019

Excel for me too, plus watch images and softcopies of receipts, Extracts, etc. Backed up, including offsite, and hardcopies of important docs.

11. ascanio Jan 29, 2019

Have a look to airtable.com, I guess any/most collections can be handled with their free plan. In its basic usage it can be seen like excel with pictures. If you are a bit more techie, more advanced solutions can be achieved as it is an user friendly database. It's a cloud solution - which means your data are stored offshore - accessible by browser and apps - so you have to like that.
    Cheers
    Ascanio

yako54 likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2019

I use MS Access with fields for each bit of data (Maker/caliber/serial etc) Gives good functionality for sorting/filtering/list and reports etc.

Could embed pics against each entry, but an MS Powerpoint presentation linked to the database is what I'm working on now.
    Not so much for me, but for my executor so they don't flip the collection to the local dealer for pennies.
    There's one field for "Amount Paid" and another one for "Sell Price".
    The values only keep increasing. ;)

DaveK and Mauzer like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2019

Sock draw, and phone a friend.

With instructions to Mrs Standy to log on as a newbie when I am gone and get you guys to do the work :thumbsup:

oddboy, DaveK, khmt2 and 4 others like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2019

Don't worry, I'll fly up and guide her through the process :D.

oddboy and citizenrich like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2019

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 29, 2019

Yep, I'll just keep a lookout for these floating about the place :D.

1600O.jpg

citizenrich and STANDY like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2019

Don’t laugh guys

Yep, went to colour Organization after taking 40 vintage watches instead of a camera fishing one day 76096908-7959-46E5-A22B-8FCEAED44D05.gif

18. LanceSaintPaul Jan 29, 2019

Amen to that. Regular stories of data breeches keep me from using anything like that - I don't even use any cloud based service. The only storage cloud I use is local, i.e. in my own house with a wired connection.

And where would I feel safe putting all the details of potentially valuable to priceless assets anywhere on line. There's no question mark at the end of that sentence - it's a rhetorical question. I could never. To my mind it's just realism.

19. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 29, 2019

20. Waltesefalcon Jan 29, 2019

I too make notes on cards. I just use regular 3x5 index cards though.