Forums Latest Members

How do you guys handle watch situations like this? (Unworn, nonworking pieces.)

1. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

I just found two watches I forgot I had. I don't collect pocket watches nor American brands but I remember the Elgin PW was $20, so I got it because I never see them with plain backs and in a clean state, but of course it doesn't work.
    IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    This Waltham I think I got for $1 in the cheap tray at a garage sale so picked it up because it's cool, love the red details, and the funky rotor setup I'm not familiar with, but alas it also doesn't work.
    IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    So I am quite sure I won't spend the money or take the time to have these repaired, can't even guess what that would cost for something like these, so here they sit, year after year being rediscovered randomly then put back in a box. That doesn't feel right. So can somebody reassure me that these can be repaired very cheaply, or maybe it's best to sell them on as non-functioning, value probably close to zero in such a case, so again, not worth the effort in that sense to me, but worth the effort to potentially give them a new home.

Am I being a dreamer thinking even if somebody got these they would spend the money to revive them?

2. SkunkPrince Aug 14, 2020

Here's the cynical view.

Elgin made a cubic crapload of pocket watches, and back in the day they needed servicing yearly. The chances of it being unmolested are low. It might be worth $200, and servicing would cost that at a minimum.

The Waltham has a cheap, nothing special movement. Probably can't get parts for them any more. Service around $200 and it might be worth a dollar. Fun maybe but no more than that.

Since you have nothing invested in them, it wouldn't hurt for you to sell them on here for $50 for the pair. Someone might buy.

3. Canuck Aug 14, 2020

The Waltham wrist watch has a Font 65-4 movement with a perimeter rotor. Don’t see many watch of any make with this unusual feature. Repair cheaply? How likely is that? If selling them is your aim, don’t fix them first. You won’t recover the cost of the repair. Sell them as is. Neither are collectable, in my view.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 14, 2020

Cheap ones like above I have given away several times ;)

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

I think your guidance has already helped, thanks guys. The Elgin I will probably hold onto and maybe repair down the road, just having it out has made me realize how long it took me to find one without guilloche back or engravings, so maybe $200 to fix (a speculative number I do realize) wouldn't be the worst thing I could do.

I think the Walthan needs a new home. Who wants it (in the US)? First person to "dibs" this one gets it in the mail. If you see that you claimed it first, PM me your info and I'll drop it in the mail on Monday. Shipping is on me.

Pazzo likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 14, 2020

Dibs for @JimInOz he will cover the couple of dollars more to send to Aussie Land.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  7. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

Done deal! Enjoy it dude!

(In the future if I have giveaway items is it more common to mention them here in open discussion, in the FS section at $0, or somewhere else?)

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 14, 2020

We did have a lucky number giveaway for a few watches Sort of like a pay it foreword a while back at the start of lockdowns.
    (Ended after about 5 watches !?)

9. OmegaP99 Aug 14, 2020

Oh cool, maybe something fun like that would be a better way to pass things along. Thanks!

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 14, 2020

Edited Aug 14, 2020
    OmegaP99 likes this.