Forums Latest Members

Some weird hands on this universal geneve, what do you guys think?

1. T. de Bakker Nov 18, 2022

So I was about to buy this watch when I noticed the hands on this guy which look a little to broad for this model.
    Other cal42's usually have these extremely slim hands.
    When I asked the seller about it he said that this specific model, with a sunburst dial as he called it, came with these broader hands.
    I'm still not convinced since I haven't found any other examples of these hands being used anywhere.
    So I decided to take it to the forums to find an answer once and for all.

SO, Are these hands original or not?
    Thanks

UG Cal 42 with weird hands.PNG
  2. Mazoue Nov 18, 2022

I couldn't say for sure as I'm not that familiar with these later references (is it an 842101/06?) but the fact that the hands are significantly thicker than the hour markers just doesn't look right to my eye. That combined with the fact that all other examples seem to have the narrow hands makes me fairly dubious.

Universal+Geneve+advertisement+featuring+ref+842101-06+.jpeg

YYTIN and Mark020 like this.
  3. T. de Bakker Nov 18, 2022

It is. The seller later sent me a listing from anither seller with another watch with these wider hands.

4. T. de Bakker Nov 18, 2022

5. WhereMadnessLies Nov 18, 2022

I'm pretty confident in saying that those hands are not correct. Also, the hands on that second watch are not the same as the ones on the first watch (lengths are different) and even then, it breaks the dealers own rule of "this specific model, with a sunburst dial".

All 842101 refs I have seen come narrow stick hands, as per the advert @Mazoue supplied, if batons or Roman numerals are on the dial. Arabic numerals & "kanji" dials usually have leaf style hands.

blue+dial+Universal+Genève+reference+842101 06.jpg

Edited Nov 18, 2022
    X350 XJR likes this.