how do you "de-smell" old straps etc?

Back when I had the car shop I bought an old 912 from a customer. He stored it in his barn and generously sprinkled the entire interior, seats and floor carpeting with moth balls. Well it was so unbearable we took the whole thing apart-seats, carpets and door panels and scrubbed the hell out of them. Stuff still stunk to high heavens. My dad the chemist/engineer said "lay everything out in the sun for a few days, that'll fix it".
That worked. :thumbsup:

I might give that a go if other solutions aren't acceptable. Trouble is, it'll be about 5 months here before the sun is strong enough to do anything ;)

Like 2
I might give that a go if other solutions aren't acceptable. Trouble is, it'll be about 5 months here before the sun is strong enough to do anything ;)

Feel free to send it to us in Florida. We'll give it a few weeks of sunbath on both sides of the strap halves and send it back smelling like low tide :D

Like 1
I've had really good luck with coffee to remove odors. I'd seal it in a container with GROUND coffee. Perhaps use a coffee filter for separation and WAIT. Give it a few weeks.
Edited:

Like 1
+1. Coffee will do the trick

Oh yeah, one more thing. Avoid the temptation to brew the coffee when you are done.

Like 3
Utilizing Axe Apollo may or may not be worth the old college try regarding de-smelling old straps…I do it…and it works…but it has the capability of offending a few people…

FE5A4105-6C03-430A-BB55-3E2E6F96D1CD.jpeg

Like 5
Tropic is rubber. Dawn dish detergent and a brush. Scrub vigorously.

Like the guy didn't try soap and water already. Rubber, believe it or not, is capable of absorbing odors so it's not always a matter of cleaning the surface.

Utilizing Axe Apollo may or may not be worth the old college try regarding de-smelling old straps…I do it…and it works…but it has the capability of offending a few people…

FE5A4105-6C03-430A-BB55-3E2E6F96D1CD.jpeg
I will repeat my sentiment from earlier in this thread

69B67D4B-8EBE-4CC8-93A2-F2EE4DBDA1CA.gif

Like 1
Like the guy didn't try soap and water already. Rubber, believe it or not, is capable of absorbing odors so it's not always a matter of cleaning the surface.
For advice on odor management I would defer to SkunkPrince

Dawn is magic.

Like 1