Forums Latest Members

As a vintage Omega collector how do you feel about Omega / Swatch Group?

1. kaplan Feb 12, 2023

I don't feel good myself. All my interactions were negative. Only AD in Ankara has bad reviews online indicating they disrespect customers so I didn't even bother to visit. One Archive Extract I ordered and another one I received with a purchase didn't detail the dial although all the previous extracts did. Parts aren't available. Every time I query something I get redirected to Swatch in Turkey/Istanbul that doesn't reply or reply late with a generic negative response.

After seeing this story from tomisla.av on Instagram, it all came back to me

Longines does it right! What a wholesome, human and free reply, while we pay to be ridiculed

Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 18.05.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 18.05.55.png

2. Zapatta Feb 12, 2023

Heeeeeey that's meeee ::psy::

DaveK, RevZMan123, joeshoup and 5 others like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 12, 2023

Just remember that Longines is also part of Swatch Group.

I think the issue here is that Omega as a company wants to be Rolex. Omega is doing a good job of imitating the attitude without the superior marketing strategies.
    gatorcpa

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2023

Hey, it could be worse - they could treat you like Rolex. They supply parts to independent watchmakers (for a lot of calibers anyway), they have a vintage database, and have both an extract and authentication service.

Rolex gives you zero information, no respect at all for vintage watches, and hey guess what we won't even bother fixing some things you own, that really aren't even very old!

Omega could be better, but also could be much worse...

DaveK, kkt, pkaye6 and 19 others like this.
  5. Dan S Feb 12, 2023

True, they are not as bad as Rolex.

However, the inconsistency of the Omega Extract situation is a fiasco IMO, and makes me very skeptical. This really became apparent during the whole Ultraman farce. And the way you have to jump through hoops in the US for the privilege of paying $150 is ridiculous.

I also don't like some of the games they have been playing in auctions, although they are hardly the only brand doing that. @gatorcpa is on target in saying that Omega is trying to position themselves as a higher end brand by imitating some of the less attractive strategies of Rolex, but they can't get out of their own way with their poor QC, plastic Speedmasters, etc.

Otherwise, I have had very few interactions with Swatch. When I used to own some modern watches, I sent one in for service, and it was fine. My wife's modern Speedmaster needed warranty repairs, and that went smoothly.

kaplan, Davidt and SpeedyPhill like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2023

I don't think they do really. They would love to have the brand recognition, sure, but from my perspective they are a very different company, and have a very different approach to doing business. On the surface it may seem like this is what they are doing, but it really isn't, IMO.

McKnife, felsby, Sluggo and 1 other person like this.
  7. bananapeanut Feb 12, 2023

All I know is that I feel really good when sending a Rolex to RSC. However, I'll think twice before sending a watch to Omega for service. You hear too many horror stories. I don't think Omega is doing a good job of imitating the quality of the service provided by Rolex. Of course, I'm talking about modern watches. Rolex couldn't care less about vintage.

Edited Feb 12, 2023
    blufinz52 likes this.
  8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 12, 2023

whole Ultraman farce.... and Apollo-Soyuz... :coffee:

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. kaplan Feb 12, 2023

As an outsider, I always assumed they got away with not being transparent about having no record outside of serial / model / delivery info, up to a point they got away with it, and now overcompensating by giving no detail, which makes it all unjust, and makes newly extracted watches seem unauthentic

It might as well become something else at this point, like "Registry Info" and become free, or cheaper, and being something else, it won't make watches look like less than what they are

10. gbesq Feb 12, 2023

Enjoy that feeling while it lasts because the time will come when Rolex will decline to service your watch because they will determine - in their sole discretion - that it is too old for them to bother with it. Your independent watchmaker won’t have the parts available to service it either because Rolex won’t supply them.

Edited Feb 13, 2023
    sheepdoll and watchyouwant like this.
  11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2023

What detail about the Dial was not mentioned? As you know, Omega goes by Mvmt. Numbers and the Archive, as every over 100 + years old Archive, has holes about certain references. Many references in the old Books did not mention many extra details at all..... And regarding your local AD: online reports are often not accurate, written by not fulfilled grand expectations. Phone in and make a 15 minute appointment, wear a nice old Omega and see for yourself. Good Luck ! And we all hope , your quake disaster will finally result in safer buildings and severe punishment for the cut corners builders.....

Timetron likes this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2023

I would not have paid one penny extra for a longer Orange Hand. Collectors started that Hype. Now a Company in Vietnam manufactures that orange hand to the exact specifications of the original. That's entrepreneurs in Capitalism for you. Demand? Cater for it....

cristos71, felsby and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. Sluggo Feb 12, 2023

Once you own a product, whether Omega or Rolex, how about focus on 'superior service strategies'? Marketing, per se, not my concern at that point.

Given the average Rolex premium, they should fly to your house, pick it up and deliver it back when done.

sheepdoll and watchyouwant like this.
  14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2023

Beeing Swiss, they might start a Rolex Postal Pigeon Service for that....

15. kaplan Feb 12, 2023

Thanks

I have 2 leader signed Omega's, from the delivery country/location, no doubt about it and they clearly see the signature in the photos, but they didn't detail like they did for the ones before. It's not like there's an AD in North Korea selling regular Omega's, they were all leader signed

For an Arabic one, I think this could've worked in my favor, but I still feel bad about the extract I got from the seller not detailing the signature

I have so many colourful dials too, I'd love to order 1-2 extracts every month and document each of them, not being able to chase this dream is my main issue

16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2023

What signature do you refer to?

Davidt and Archer like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2023

I’ve always had really good experiences through the local boutique and through the local AD (Hardy Brothers / Wallace Bishop) before there was a boutique here in Brisbane, its hard to know sometimes whether or not I get treated better intentionally but I’ve had a lot of friends also come away very satisfied so I think the Australian arm in general is just quite a well run organization.

The experience with Rolex has not been good, RSC have let me down numerous times including a 6-month repair on a modern Daytona which was estimated at three. When I was much newer to watches and had just gotten my first Submariner my dad went to the local Rolex AD to get me a birthday present and the owner of the shop lied to him about having this special super exclusive tie that only the best customers get and sold it to him for an insane amount of money. The same ties were all over eBay for $20 but dad didn’t think the man from Rolex would scam him so he paid it even though it was way more money than he could afford. When he told me that I was absolutely livid, but didn’t tell him how much he got ripped off. I’ll never buy from that AD though.

It’s an unpopular view regarding that Orange hand but its one I’ve always shared too.

watchyouwant likes this.
  18. kaplan Feb 12, 2023

The name of the leader on the dial in red

So sad to hear about that experience, it might be kind of a mental illness I think, maybe manifestation of inferiority syndrome in a specific way

19. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2023

The Name of the Leader on the dial in Red ???? Which Leader? Why in red ? Do you have a sample picture ? I have no idea, what you are talking about.....

McKnife and Archer like this.
  20. kaplan Feb 12, 2023