how do you "de-smell" old straps etc?

Looking for a bit of hive mind advice here, peeps

A while back, I bought a load of stuff in an auction;
Screenshot_20221213_121153.png

The first lot yielded a load of busted Seikos, some of which I've had fixed and kept, some of which I stripeed some parts from and got shot of the rest. This lot above cost a lot of money - over £1K in hand, about half of which I've recouped by selling off the bits I don't want. I've kept a couple of bracelets and other parts, and a few of the watches, but mostly junk that's not worth fixing. Hardly an astute purchase.

The second lot was even worse:
Screenshot_20221213_114645.png

I'd spotted some NSA bracelets in there and thought they might be worth a look, but in the end it's mostly Garbaj, quite a few broken movements etc, and pretty much everything was disposed of on eBay. Cost me over £400 and I probably got that back. Again, mostly a waste of time.

BUT, the (broken) black Citizen Cosmotron had a 19mm Tropic Star strap fitted, and I thought that would do the trick on another watch...
Screenshot_20221213_115358.png

As with a lot of stuff that's probably been in a musty old drawer for decades, it was pretty smelly - the kind of dusty, musty, old stuff smell that seems to never shift.

I might have run it through an ultrasonic cleaner, I can't recall. I took the strap and soaked it for a day or two in minty mouthwash. That did for (most?) of the musty smell but whoooa, now it stank of MINT to the point where it would be impossible to wear without being conscious of it. So next, I tried putting it in a Ziploc bag with some crushed coffee beans for a few days, and that took the edge of the minty smell and added a fairly pleasant coffee odour.

Thing is, it still smells quite strongly - I was wondering, what would anyone else do to neutralize it, given that the strap had maybe 3 or 4 decades to acquire the musty stink in the first place...

Oh, and here it is in situ now...
IMG_20221213_120548.jpg

IMG_20221213_114341.jpg

Like 3
White vinegar perhaps? Then maybe another ziplock and some fabric softener sheets. Looking forward to reading other suggestions also.

Like 1
Baking soda ziplock. If that doesn’t clear it after a few days, then white vinegar- sunlight- back into ziplock with baking soda.

I had this happen with new leather straps that were potent and I thought the smell was gone but as soon as my body temp warmed it up- smell was back. Sitting in the sun for a few days and baking soda were the only things that worked

Like 1
Thanks :) Baking soda & vinegar seems to be a universal cure-all for household tasks...

Like 2
The best solution is to toss it and just buy a new tropic strap. I had a leather strap that mildewed and I never could get the odor completely out. I guess it depends on how valuable a 50-year-old tropic strap is to you along with the sensitivity of your nose.

Like 3
The best solution is to toss it and just buy a new tropic strap. I had a leather strap that mildewed and I never could get the odor completely out. I guess it depends on how valuable a 50-year-old tropic strap is to you along with the sensitivity of your nose.
Well considering that strap is long NLA and there are no modern variants of it (of quality) I think it’s worth giving it a try.

I will take it off your hands if the smell bothers you. :thumbsup:

Like 3
I like to take the strap, rub tea tree oil on it, seal it in a ziplock bag, and throw it in the garbage...

Like 3
I don’t tend to re-use the straps, that’s a lot of someone else’s sweat, food, skin oils, cigarette ash… and then you know the bloke wearing it spent a few hundred hours with it while sitting on the can, dumping out. And if he wasn’t that good at wiping it might have even been smeared at some point. That’s why I bin them.

As for the rest of the filth on a watch… that’s a watchmaker’s problem, they build in hazard pay

Like 3
2 Denture tablets with 250ml water.
Or
2 teaspoons of Coffee descaling powder with same amount of water

(Believe me it works on funky fish guts smelling NATO straps)

Like 3
hen you know the bloke wearing it spent a few hundred hours with it while sitting on the can, dumping out. And if he wasn’t that good at wiping it might have even been smeared at some point.

Yeah, thanks for that image... ::puke::

This one looks barely used, and since it's rubber then I figure it's not going to be as imbued with someone else's sweat etc that a leather one might.

2 Denture tablets with 250ml water.
Or
2 teaspoons of Coffee descaling powder with same amount of water

(Believe me it works on funky fish guts smelling NATO straps)

That's a great idea - I've got a whole thing of Cafiza espresso machine cleaner that I might try...

Like 1
Go skiing for a week with one pair of socks, then seal them entwined in a ziplock for another week and Bobs your uncle…

Like 3
Go skiing for a week with one pair of socks, then seal them entwined in a ziplock for another week and Bobs your uncle…

And then in 5 years, the next owner will be on here asking, "I got this strap that smells like an old tramp's feet.. any idea how to get the stink away?"

Like 3
Cat urine and a flame thrower.

No good reason why just seems like a potent combo.

Like 3
Put it in the freezer...this works surprisingly well to rid straps of smell...

Like 4
sunlight

Back when I had the car shop I bought an old 912 from a customer. He stored it in his barn and generously sprinkled the entire interior, seats and floor carpeting with moth balls. Well it was so unbearable we took the whole thing apart-seats, carpets and door panels and scrubbed the hell out of them. Stuff still stunk to high heavens. My dad the chemist/engineer said "lay everything out in the sun for a few days, that'll fix it".
That worked. :thumbsup:

Like 2
there-are-very-few-personal-problems-that-cannot-be-solved-through-a-suitable-application-of-high-quote-1.jpg

Like 5
And if he wasn’t that good at wiping it might have even been smeared at some point.
I’m still ruminating on this one….

3031DA4E-9636-4CF6-9208-A6F6C11BD5E4.gif

Like 1