How did I do?

Hey all!

I’ve never really bothered getting to know the nuances of pre-moon speedmasters because I always assumed they would be outside my budget. Today, I stumbled upon a 105.012 on eBay with no bids starting at $5k. From a Quick round of googling, it seemed decent enough even though it clearly has service parts so I jumped.

what do you think? Did I get a franken or a good deal?

here’s the listing link

[edit] here is the description from the listing:
“249530XX serial number will date the watch to 1967 production date and fits nicely within serial number range for 105.012-67 reference

Watch was purchased in 2016 via Chrono24 from Boca Raton Luxury in Florida. Watch has never been serviced but probably due for one. Works nearly perfectly except the hour marker does not reset to 0 when the stop watch is reset. It's keeping great time and the chronograph works great as well minus the zero reset issue.

The first four photos are taken from the original Chrono24 listing in 2016 followed by more current photographs. I replaced the replacement bracelet in the first four photographs with an original band from the same era to better match the watch. I'll also include the out of era replacement band that the purchased watch came with. I'm happy to send more photos on request. Happy Bidding!”
Edited:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
On first glance, I'd be worried that some of the pictures in the listing were lifted off Chrono24, and there seem to be two different bracelets...

On first glance, I'd be worried that some of the pictures in the listing were lifted off Chrono24, and there seem to be two different bracelets...
The seller made note of that. He says he bought it off of chrono24 and then put it on the “period correct” bracelet, which is the one that doesn’t fit right.

And for my next trick, I'll learn to read the whole post before I shoot my mouth off...

There's a lot of replaced parts. Pushers, crown, insert. Dial itself is missing a lot of lume. Bracelet adds value, but unclear if it is for the reference. Plus a good servicing is not cheap these days either.

I don't like the watch. But if the flatlink bracelet is a 7912 with legit #6 endlinks, you may have done ok. Although they don't look 19mm wide, do they.

Like 1
Thanks everyone so far. After tax it came to $4800 for the watch. It sounds like it wasn’t a crazy deal. I’m still excited to get it. I do have an omega certified watchmaker who gives me a very friendly rate so servicing shouldn’t be an issue.

Now for a heretical question: how bad would it be to relume the dial since it’s missing so much?

Thanks everyone so far. After tax it came to $4800 for the watch. It sounds like it wasn’t a crazy deal. I’m still excited to get it. I do have an omega certified watchmaker who gives me a very friendly rate so servicing shouldn’t be an issue.

Now for a heretical question: how bad would it be to relume the dial since it’s missing so much?
If you're going to relume the dial, send it to THE guy: Home (alchemistrelumer.co.uk) Recommended by many on OF as the best of the best when it comes to reluming work.

The lume doesn’t look bad. If you try to “fix” everything on this watch you’re replacing hands, bezel, reluming, and finding proper pushers. With service all that will add up you’re better buying a better watch.
This watch looks wearable I would just wear and enjoy after service.

Like 1

Relume can be a great solution for the right watch. It can turn a boring or so-so watch into a beautiful thing that you look forward to waking up and putting in your wrist. The caveats are that it is done well and disclosed. I haven't personally had a reason to do it yet but would if I come across the right watch. Yours may not need it, as said above.

Not a fan of the serviced hands and original dial. But it was a good deal, IMO. I would relume the dial, but also do the hands to try to make them match.

Not a fan of the serviced hands and original dial. But it was a good deal, IMO. I would relume the dial, but also do the hands to try to make them match.
Agreed. Same thing that I would do. I think that will make a huge difference in the visual appeal of the watch.

As long as you enjoy the watch that’s the most important thing.