Forums Latest Members
  1. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Hi all,

I've done a quick search but cant find anything that jumps out at me on this subject.

I'm looking to purchase a safe for my watches and other bits and pieces.

Has anyone any recommendations; what to look for, what to avoid etc?

I'm based in the UK, unsure if that makes a difference as can imagine postage etc on these and local laws may impact decisions!

Thanks as ever!

2. Vitezi Nov 12, 2019

3. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Many thanks, my bad, not sure how I didn't find them on my previous searches!
    Had a look through those threads but not many suggestions.
    No worries, I'll keep trawling and google is my friend in these situations... just wondered if there was a popular brand or service members here used regularly.

Thanks again!

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

Golden rule with home safes if it can be carried by less than three people it’s too small. ;)

larryganz, warrydog, marco and 2 others like this.
  5. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Thanks, does that mean the small home safe jobs that are bolted to walls etc are not so "safe" after all?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

2 minute job
    584700B2-B169-4615-BC7D-2DEB50F6AC51.jpeg

The best thing with those is you fill them up with a few books and a handful of nuts and bolts and hide your watches and valuables somewhere else, the thieves will always take the safe.

Njnjcfp88, gemini4, chronos and 8 others like this.
  7. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Ha yep, good point!

8. Evitzee Nov 12, 2019

And if crooks know you have a nice home safe they will just knock on your door and force you to open it with a gun to your head. Home invasions happen these days.

Sidnos likes this.
  9. Canuck Nov 12, 2019

Maybe your insurance company can provide you with information. Deciding on a safe should take into account the risks you feel are the greatest. Some safes are rated for fire resistance which can make a difference in the safe you would choose. One good rule of thumb has been mentioned. Most safes that would require three people or more to move, might be a good choice. Police will tell you that the average crook wants to be in and out as fast as possible, which means any good sized safe is better than no safe!

marco, Larry S and Sidnos like this.
  10. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Living in central London means theft/burglary is a significant concern, sadly.
    Mrs is going to love it when I have a huge safe delivered for half a dozen watches, passports and some mediocre jewellery that will take up lots of potential shoe storage space
    I’ll have a word with my insurance co and see what their thoughts are or alternatively my work has safety deposit facilities so may look into that.
    Gotta keep the shoe space free as much as possible after all!

Lonestar, DaveK, Wivac and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Thanks for your input chaps, always appreciated ;)

12. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 12, 2019

[​IMG]
    a safe or one of these. I forgot, the above is outlawed in GB.
    you'll have to settle for one of these.
    [​IMG]

Duracuir1, Noddyman, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  13. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

My dog did used to at least “look the part”, truth was she was incredibly soft and very much a lover and not a fighter!
    Never judge a book as they say....
    Sadly she’s no longer with us :(
    9250C763-7892-48B1-9D56-F8C77CAD4CBA.jpeg

DaveK, rbob99, Sgt_Bilko and 4 others like this.
  14. Wivac Terribly special Nov 12, 2019

My insurance Co (UK based, just outside of London) would only insure watches / items IF:
    a) They were always placed in the safe overnight.
    and
    b) That safe was insurance rated to 'X' amount ( I forget how much) and secured to 1 metric ton of granite 100ft up a greased pole ( effectively).

I went down the creative route detailed a little above here....

Sidnos likes this.
  15. Sidnos Nov 12, 2019

Ha Tbh sounds like most insurance contracts.
    Probably more effective and certainly more fun to get another hound methinks...
    I’m sold!!

16. 10thSquare Nov 12, 2019

I'm in London. My insurer (Legal & General) allows me to keep my watch collection (valued at just shy of £40k) in a a £4k cash rated safe. As Standy says above, I'm sure it would be relatively to remove from the wall to which it's bolted, but my interest is to ensure that I'd be financially covered for any theft.

The safe I got was a Rottner 4847 via Amazon. It cost less than £250 which in terms of insuring my watches seemed a decent deal.

Good luck!

Sidnos likes this.
  17. simonsays Nov 12, 2019

If your in London I would consider Metro Bank. £250 per year for a safety deposit box that will hold all the watches your not wearing. 7 days a week access, and its open late.

levkov, chronos and Sidnos like this.
  18. 10thSquare Nov 12, 2019

There was a piece in the NY Times (or Post) about how safety deposit boxes aren't actually insured. So if someone does get into yours, you won't be covered. Admittedly that was in the US - does Metro Bank insure all contents for a flat £250 p/a?

19. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 12, 2019

So how does it work - with this tool, they pry the safe away from the wall simply with leverage and ripping the self-expanding dowels (sorry, had to look up the translation to english, basically those plastic inserts that you fit the hole so the bolt threads into something)?

Just educating myself for a future possible carreer reconversion here :D

noelekal likes this.
  20. simonsays Nov 12, 2019

Insurance is not included, but for me its safe enough in a locked room in a locked box in a Bank. Insurance has its own problems, valuations, receipts etc.

Evitzee and Sidnos like this.