Forums Latest Members

Watch safe recommendations

1. logan2z Jan 6, 2015

I'm currently looking at buying a safe for storing my watches and was hoping to get some recommendations from forum members. It needs to be relatively compact which eliminates gun safes. I did some online research and found some pretty cool safes from Brown Safe that are tailored to watch collectors. Needless to say they're pretty expensive (made in the USA) but they are supposed to be of high quality and look the part. I particularly like the 'Man Safe' (now that's some awesome marketing, eh?)

http://www.brownsafe.com/man-safe/index.html

Any other recommendations for high-quality, compact safes that work well for watches?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2015

Golden rule with safes if you and a mate can lift it its too small

Type safe into search, hit search titles only

This has been covered a few times lately :thumbsup:

citizenrich likes this.
  3. logan2z Jan 6, 2015

Hmm I searched before posting but didn't find much. I'll try again.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 6, 2015

Spot on. You're really just making it convenient for a thief to haul everything off at once.

Unless you buy it as a decoy and put the good stuff somewhere else.. :p

Benbradstock and STANDY like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 6, 2015

Ooooof, my lawyer would KILL me if he knew I was giving advice on this stuff. But, considering I've already broken the rule here a time or two ( I generally like the people who post here ), I will give you the best advice:

Purchase a used safe from a reputable dealer.

Pay cash.

Rent a pro hand truck from a tool rental shop.

Enlist the help of a trusted person (start with your brother or your son) to hump the safe to it's final location and install.

Try to a purchase a safe which requires only a single center bolt (always use epoxy).

Safes above ~500 lbs are generally free standing.

DO NOT TELL ANYONE THAT YOU HAVE A SERIOUS SAFE. DO NOT "BRAG" ABOUT ANYTHING, UNLESS U CONSIDER WATCHING SOME SAVAGE SHOVE THE BARREL OF A GUN IN YOUR WIFE OR CHILDS MOUTH A FUN NIGHT AT HOME.

KEEP A CHEAP DECOY SAFE IN YOUR BEDROOM CLOSET FILLED WITH LOOSE COINS.

Edited Jan 6, 2015
    Benbradstock and lando like this.
  6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 6, 2015

My above ^^^ post is a pro tip for people who want to keep a lot of jewelry and cash in their primary residence. For the "average" person, this number probably starts in the $100,000.00 range.

You are always better off keeping very expensive watches off premise @ a bank deposit box; at bank located next to or near a police station.

Edited Jan 7, 2015
    Benbradstock likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 6, 2015

Cool tip citizenrich. For those of us with more modest collections - well below $100,000, is there a middle ground?

All this talk of guns pointed at wives/kids makes me want to sell off everything valued at $1000 or more... :confused: