Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee Eight-Day Travel Clock LE

1. scv55 Jul 25, 2020

Yeah I agree and that was kind of my point originally by joking the buyers of this clock are 'wannabe' watch collectors. Just being half serious.

2. Traveler Jul 25, 2020

In all honesty, this is the kind of thing I would usually blow money on - look at my Avatar name! If it had JLC or Hermes on the dial and was anything up to $1500, I probably would have shipped it in without even stopping to examine the quality (but I assume if those two put their name on it, it would actually be nice quality). Like many other watch nerds, I had been eagerly awaiting this launch after the mystery teaser posts etc.

As soon as I saw the name on the dial, it was an automatic pass, then I literally had to do a reload double take when I saw the price - what in the actual Fck ?! I don’t even buy their leather goods because they have HODINKEE stamped on them. It’s actually offensive that they think they themselves are automatically a luxury brand without putting any actual effort into that particular process. Creating a new luxury brand that can charge this kind of money is downright hard, but it can be done. Look at Metier leather goods. Somewhere I read Cara’s rebuttal of the criticism referring to the price of new versus vintage Cartier clocks, and it made me fume.

Although I still obviously look at the site, similar to @abrod520, being based (mainly now) in NYC I have had the opportunity to closely watch their growth and meet them all over the years, and sadly have been increasingly turned off by the attitude and arrogance in more recent times. Not that they need my sympathies, but I feel sorry for the two honest and decent chaps that are left there, James and Jason, being associated with this kind of branding farce. I also think it’s pretty funny how they have dug themselves into a deeper hole by the way they have handled their own process to the reaction. Reminds me of the Bremont-gate in house movement debacle.

kkt, Kmart, AveConscientia and 8 others like this.
  3. rbob99 Jul 25, 2020

I would not wear a watch branded Hodinkee, (or Montblanc, Hermes, Tiffany or Ralph Lauren for that matter, with a possible exception perhaps, maybe for certain co-branded vintage Tiffany watches, although probably not.) Maybe it's generational (baby boomer here) but the Hodinkee name on a watch or clock spells "douchebag" to me.

kkt, sdre, queriver and 2 others like this.
  4. TechFounder Jul 25, 2020

That’s exactly why they need to sell these clocks at those price points. They have a lot of mouths to feed.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  5. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Jul 25, 2020

I know what’s happened here! All of you have been complaining about Hodinkee but have secretly bought each and every clock available. You are very cunning! Personally I thought it was too expensive. Anyway... SOLD OUT! 51B032BB-132D-4CE3-9712-070D8C619B0F.jpeg

Dsloan and OmegaP99 like this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Jul 25, 2020

This might be the most cynical product it’s possible to release as Hodinkee.

They’ve ripped off a 1950s JLC design, stuck a $5 movement in it, spouted a load of fluff, put a $6k price tag on it, and they know, with absolute certainly that it’s shit, but it will also sell out.

It couldn’t be more on the nose if they called it the “we saw you coming travel clock”.

The wanna be Wolf of Wallstreet crowd have never been so seen.

rcs914, Dsloan and Dogmann like this.
  7. Traveler Jul 25, 2020

With the icing on the cake being releasing a travel clock during basically a travel ban!

Linzer, abrod520, orlis and 1 other person like this.
  8. queriver Jul 25, 2020

There are no winners.

The Pretentious Buyer --

buyer.jpg

The Pretentious Seller --

Buyer.jpg

Edited Jul 25, 2020
  9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 25, 2020

Why not? Excepting Hodinkee those other companies make fantastic watches. Hermes has a tourbillion and Ralph Lauren uses JLC in some of their models. Montblanc and Tiffanys are both moving towards in house movements.

10. funkright Jul 25, 2020

Blows my mind that these actually sold out ::confused2:: Too much money, too little grey matter... ::screwloose::

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 25, 2020

a little birdie told me to not believe everything I read on the internet...

kkt, 89-0 and pdxleaf like this.
  12. rob#1 Jul 25, 2020

Coming soon!

The H*dinkee Limited Edition Travel Clock Limited Edition Travel Case - so you can show off your travel clock, whilst travelling (NB Can also be used to show off your LV bag, etc., etc.). Priced accordingly :whistling:

BB0D65E2-E963-403F-8A45-67469BFEC896.jpeg

kkt, loniscup, queriver and 1 other person like this.
  13. mzinski Jul 25, 2020

What is Bremont-gate? Can you link to it?

14. tritto Jul 25, 2020

kkt likes this.
  15. Theluglife Jul 26, 2020

isn't also much much bigger than similar vontage travel alarm clocks? I got to head over to facebook to troll the comments section.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  16. YY77 Jul 26, 2020

mzinski likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2020

So you didn’t read the whole add from Hodinkee that said they only have a few made at the moment and are yet to finish the other 90 odd :whipped:

Of course they are Sold out as they only had three to sell. :whistling:

And because each HODINKEE Eight-Day Travel Clock is crafted by hand, it takes time to make them perfect. We've secured a number of clocks for immediate delivery today, and more will be coming in shortly.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  18. Renton Jul 26, 2020

kov, inchpincher, WatchCor and 2 others like this.
  19. llvhhui Jul 26, 2020

What’s the name of the clock?
    Is it Pretentious-Master?

kkt likes this.
  20. bnabod Jul 26, 2020

Yup they made 10 got land blasted for it and voilà SOLD OUT and will not make any more of this crap. The leather finishing is awful as show by some pics online the movement is horrid to look at but more power to them to sell x many at 6k. Some people will just eat it all up. Reminds me of the many second hand pieces they sold w embellished stories and mixed bag parts (covered already my many members before us ) yet they keep going strong ....go figure

WatchCor likes this.