Forums Latest Members

The Hodinkee 8 day Travel Clock Arrivals Thread

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 26, 2022

Along a similar theme as today's High-end (aka WTF-are-they-smoking) watches, we also happen to have the very first Hodinkee 8 day Travel Clock arrival.

IMG_1318.PNG

Post your hands-on, necklace-shots and wrist-shots here!

And, DIIIIIIIBS ...

janice&fred likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Oct 26, 2022

By "important" does he mean "dog shit nonsense made for rich dickheads with more money than sense and no idea what the fuck they're buying, who genuinely believe watches are investments, because their equally fucking stupid friends have told them so"?

It's a shit 1970s alarm clock movement wrapped up in the shittest goat leather I have ever seen - to pay any money for this you have to be so monumentally fucking stupid that can't dress yourself without help, and need to wear a walkman that reminds you to breathe in and out.

The world is a shitter place because of this clock, and everyone who has anything to do with it should be banned from owning nice things, and forced to watch Paw Patrol until their retinas explode.

jjen, John7boy, Duracuir1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 26, 2022

upload_2022-10-26_14-59-34.gif

4. SC1 Oct 26, 2022

Someone took Spicy BLVD on their morning commute.

5. tyrantlizardrex Oct 26, 2022

People are entirely welcome to hold different views, however, let's be very very clear about this - the only people who like it or think it is any way good, are on the Hodinkee payroll, or have Ben's ring piece locked onto their lips.

$6000 for this isn't a joke, it's an insult.

wagudc, janice&fred and SC1 like this.
  6. NGO1 Oct 26, 2022

You collect clock, at least it has a functional purpose. The real-real collectors...we collect time. Just snatched this today. Last one too. #BLESSED

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 12.13.42 PM.png

7. tyrantlizardrex Oct 26, 2022

Mark020 likes this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 26, 2022

I believe the unboxing video says it all in terms of irony/humor/etc. No need to scratch open any scabs. This is meant to be an arrivals thread :cool:

janice&fred, NGO1 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  9. Evitzee Oct 26, 2022

At least this clock exists in real form, unlike NFTs and the invisible sculpture that doesn't really exist (Buddha in Contemplation) that was recently sold for $18,000. Too much money floating around produces this kind of nonsense.

Aroxx likes this.
  10. YY77 Oct 26, 2022

Yep, remember that time someone paid 120k for the banana duct taped to the wall.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 26, 2022

Nice to see you haven’t lost the magic Chris!

12. janice&fred Oct 26, 2022

Fo a little over twenty years I owned a gas station and repair garage on the shoreline of Connecticut. I suspect I mainly bought and ran it along with the touring drag racing team as payback to my parents for forcing that Ivy League education on me.

Anyways, one of our customers was a brilliant and highly respected federal judge who was assigned to the NYC district. Handled many high profile cases and knew his stuff. One day as he was dropping off his run-of-the-mill Lincoln for an oil change, he asked if we could add STP as well. He referred to it as "the racer's edge". We were amazed at how gullible someone of his stature could be.

I suspect his dynamics are similar to those well-heeled-but-seemingly-clueless that buy well-presented crap from Hodinkee, amongst other crafty marketers. These types are highly accomplished in their particular fields, but have no time or genuine interest in looking past the surface when it comes to stuff unrelated to their expertise, and developing taste. They depend on The New Yorker and other highbrow publications to show them what they are supposed to like.

13. Pip Oct 26, 2022

I really need to get back to some T4aP meets :)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  14. rob#1 Oct 28, 2022

This reminds me of a poser… Two objects perform the same task. One has thousands of moving parts, while the other has no moving parts. What are they?

If required, here’s a clue - one object could have been purchased from H**dwinked for an exorbitant fee, while the other couldn’t (well, not at the moment, but I’m confident they’ll make one available soon :confused:)

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 25, 2024

Now there's this BULOVA travel clock:
    BULOVA travelclock.jpg

Dsloan, duc and jjen like this.
  16. jjen Mar 1, 2024

I miss the time when I cared enough about Hodinkee that I could get as angry as you were in this post from 2 years ago

17. spacemission Mar 5, 2024

It's for marketing nuvolaris :D