Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee Eight-Day Travel Clock LE

1. smitty190373 Jul 25, 2020

The perfect customer right there.

tyrantlizardrex, rbob99, sdre and 2 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2020

A unique movement ;)

CE7FF2CC-69FA-4D81-A8DF-C1E0A245131F.jpeg

3. lillatroll Jul 25, 2020

If this is the direction they are going in then fine, (ripping off newbies with crap, and it is crap), but they should not try to pretend to be anything else. This product reminds me of those lifestyle magazines that have ads in them for plain cotton t shirts with an asking price of many hundreds of pounds. Yes there are people who will pay it, and they know there are people who like the fact that the simplest of t shirts costs so much money, but playing on people’s stupidity and vanity does not make it right to do so.

kov likes this.
  4. scv55 Jul 25, 2020

STANDY likes this.
  5. TechFounder Jul 25, 2020

A true test of Hondikee is whether or not they will write something about this experience since this is considered news in the horology world. Let's see if any of the other watch sites/blogs write about it since they all tend to collude and not say bad things about each other.

OmegaP99, 89-0 and Davidt like this.
  6. Badwolf Jul 25, 2020

Why would a wannabe watch collector buy a travel clock?

7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 25, 2020

i think they will fail that test then

8. harrymai86 Jul 25, 2020

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 25, 2020

Dave Portnoy?

"The resale value can only go UP!"

MMMD and shishy like this.
  10. S.H. Jul 25, 2020

JLC movements in those old clocks aren't really prettier btw. I'd rather have an Angelus.

11. Engee Jul 25, 2020

It's a luxury brand at that price, and luxury brands don't just appear - they become synonymous with high quality over several years, during which a reputation for luxury builds and grows.

As I understand it, Hodinkee is a dealer in other manufacturers' luxury items, not a maker of luxury items. The Hodinkee brand itself does not represent high quality and luxury, it represents an organisation that sells high quality luxury items. I don't know that Hodinkee itself has a reputation for high quality sales service, and even if it did, that wouldn't automatically translate into high quality products when they diversify into manufacturing as, it appears, this is an attempt at.

By purporting to be a brand that can command a luxury position in the market when they have no track record shows either supreme levels of hubris or a misunderstanding of how the economics of luxury goods work.

On the other hand, they may well have calculated that enough of their customer base do associate them with quality and luxury, and they will sell these clocks at $6k a pop without difficulty.

I'm often reading here how rarified this bubble is. The conversations that take place here are between experts who know better than most people who spend a lot on watches. We should probably remember that it's not serious collectors of watches who put food on the tables of luxury watch brands, it's hot-shot high earners who want you to see what's on their wrist. Perhaps there are enough of those people out there who believe Hodinkee is a luxury brand such that having an alarm clock will impress them, and, they believe, others?

12. leetse2 Jul 25, 2020

I will be curious to see if this is discussed on the next podcast. They have always indicated that their retail side was separate from their editorial side. They openly discussed the blunder that was the Code 11.59 release. I wonder if they will be as open and honest with themselves.

13. Traveler Jul 25, 2020

It’s taken on a life of its own and now has its own insta posts ....

EEB0BBA9-548E-4D06-B0F4-EA25C3ADC597.jpeg

14. scv55 Jul 25, 2020

Travel is an essential piece to the lifestyle they market

kkt likes this.
  15. pete91m Jul 25, 2020

Issue is, if they come out and say ‘sorry, we got this totally wrong, it’s a piece of crap barely worth $60 never mind $6000’ what message does that send to the people who actually spunked their cash on it..

16. OmegaP99 Jul 25, 2020

I would imagine it would be closer to a, "Apparently the general watch market didn't understand this piece, it is for true collectors with sophisticated tastes only." Gaslight and move on, stroke the egos of those who did buy, and ignore those of us who were never in the market for this to begin with. All my opinion of course.

pete91m likes this.
  17. ReturnOfUltraman Jul 25, 2020

Imagine the absolute pandemonium if they actually came out and said something along those lines. I would be equally impressed, yet scared for Ben’s personal safety.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  18. Badwolf Jul 25, 2020

I’m sure they do. I just don’t think watch collectors would give this a second glance, especially at that price. I’ve not seen any collector here complaining that they missed out.

OmegaP99 and Archer like this.
  19. jhross98 Jul 25, 2020

i have purchased a hodinkee watch before. the skipererra re-issue. i bought it for my wife who loves it

so maybe i'm "one of those people"

but there is no f-ing way i would ever consider buying this clock. stupidest release i have ever seen bar none and that includes AP putting their name on the code 11.59

sdre and JacksonPollock like this.
  20. scv55 Jul 25, 2020

Oh I think they have done plenty right with their limited editions in the past, I genuinely do. Im just trying to figure out who would actually buy one of these clock things like everyone else on here.