Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee Eight-Day Travel Clock LE

1. TechFounder Jul 26, 2020

You mean like the same reason that in the history of Rolex, there are no display backs, and there never will be? I'll let you think about that...

2. bnabod Jul 26, 2020

Of course how could we forget the 12k hourglass a beautiful hand blown or is it mouth blown, either way spectacular craftsmanship for the one that has it all.

Honestly that website is a joke , try to put a negative comment on one of the watches they “objectively “ review see how that goes for you .
    Some articles are well written but sadly as soon as you write and sell under the same roof then bias is involved.

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 26, 2020

jaegodylan, Kmart, mr_smith and 6 others like this.
  4. pongster Jul 26, 2020

I dont like the travel clock as well. Would rather get the vintage.

but in fairness to hodinkee, the only time I bought from their website (zodiac sea wolf gmt), it arrived fast and they paid for customs duties and taxes. only seller that has done so for me (halfway around the world).

well, on one hand, maybe it means, i overpaid to begin with. Hehe.

5. Hnansen Jul 26, 2020

Probably.. :whistling:

Edited Jul 26, 2020
  6. JwRosenthal Jul 26, 2020

About as relevant as this:
    E4A7A96C-E96B-4167-9823-4BB9A40338C3.jpeg
    Hey, I still use one (or three), but not paying $6k for it.

loniscup and OmegaP99 like this.
  7. dsacks30 Jul 26, 2020

I’d be shocked if any media outlet dedicated to watches covered this story. The Worn and Wound write up on the travel clock has aged well:

“In what on the surface seems like a surprising move (but after a little reflection, is actually a great fit) our friends at Hodinkee have released a very limited, very cool, retro inspired mechanical clock as their latest limited edition. It’s a really nice looking product, and completely unlike anything else on the market right now...While the clock is great to look at, you could argue that it is what’s inside that makes it special. Each clock is powered by a vintage movement originally made by Pontifa, a small family owned Swiss manufacture.”

The horological media landscape is completely interlinked - they write glowing reviews of each others’ limited editions, go on each others’ podcasts, etc. Doubt anyone will put their relationship with Hodinkee on the line to objectively cover this story.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    kkt, nzshadow, kanye_mouse and 12 others like this.
  8. WatchCor Jul 26, 2020

kkt and wristpirate like this.
  9. scv55 Jul 26, 2020

Anyone know how much those Audemars clocks go for?

10. TechFounder Jul 26, 2020

according to Perezcope $4k retail, originally.

scv55 likes this.
  11. rbob99 Jul 26, 2020

It's purely a matter of personal taste. Obviously others disagree as these companies sell plenty of watches.

12. Traveler Jul 26, 2020

I think they were boutique gifts - so zero - but reportedly changed hands on the secondary market for up to $4k

OmegaP99 likes this.
  13. kelsey Jul 26, 2020

Though I’m not sure which is more pathetic the product or this thread.......anyways first world problems ;)

14. sdre Jul 26, 2020

it certainly reminds me of how the whole horological world is just one big syndicate... to dominate and to use mass media to keep pumping up prices / push their products/certain models (Hodinkee bring a loupe / certain prominent IG/Dealers keep having their watches promoted)

I really liked the older version of Worn and Wound, where they used to cover older vintage Seikos and other start buys on Ebay which could be had for cheap.... and they talked about how fun and enjoyable these "cheaper" watches are under the radar and undervalued... now its all about microbrands and watches with rehashed LE X Collabs which is kinda boring.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    zrleopold likes this.
  15. OmegaP99 Jul 26, 2020

The product, by a long shot. The whole reason I live in the First World is to have First World problems. :thumbsup:

Sherbie, abrod520, rcs914 and 6 others like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Jul 26, 2020

Contribute to and follow the eBay deals thread- that is my fun now. I don’t bother with online watch mags- this place has everything I need in one place- and pictures of cats!

nzshadow, Dsloan and OmegaP99 like this.
  17. dsacks30 Jul 26, 2020

It is totally a syndicate. You brought up Bring a Loupe, and one thing I noticed which I think runs counter to all journalism rules is that the author of that column frequently writes blog posts for Craft and Tailored - which I assume he is paid to write - and then features Craft and Tailored watches on Bring a Loupe without any disclosure in the article. Here is a recent example: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-vintage-watches-5-15-2020. That is equivalent to a tech reporter at the New York Times reviewing an iPhone while being paid by Apple.

The list goes on...

Woops, OmegaP99, abrod520 and 4 others like this.
  18. w154 Jul 27, 2020

Yes google says 13 craft and tailored watches in the last two years.

Stripey likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 27, 2020

But a New York Times journalist has always been payed by the people that advertised like Apple as no newspaper has made enough from sales of newspapers alone for over 30-40 years ;)

20. Traveler Jul 27, 2020

That column has become one of the most flagrant examples. I’ve also lost count of the amount of times the writer has been called out on bad / Franken / redials etc. I gave up when he called a $130k speedy a ‘rock solid investment piece’ or some nonsense. The ethos is a world away from the original concept, when it was written by Eric Wind.