Forums Latest Members
  1. yinzerniner May 26, 2015

Thanks again for clarifying Al.

2. rollee Jun 1, 2015

Wise choice, took me a while as well. Hesalite adds character :)
    My recent 3570 says hello.

photo.JPG
  3. Maximus84 Jun 1, 2015

I was recently surprised to see a colleague at work sporting a Speedy (most guys go for Breitling Aerospace - Mil Aircrew). His is a hesalite on leather, mine a Sapphire currently on OEM NATO. We chatted and compared and he was surprised at how different the sapphire looks compared to the Speedy. He did lament the fact that it's always picking up scratches though. I concede that the hesalite does look better, however the carefree nature of the sapphire, plus the ability to see the 1863 won out for me, as a daily wearer. Maybe if I go for a vintage/LE in the future...

4. jaymyms Jun 1, 2015

Ive dealt my Hesalite Speedy some crushing blows. It's pretty awesome to just be able to polish it out like it never happened. To me, it's almost more worry free that way. Plus it looks awesome.

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 1, 2015

Plus 1+ on hesalite and rubbing out the scratches. The reality is I don't find myself needing to do this very often.

One other consideration is the cost. If you have to replace a Sapphire Crystal vs Hesalite. I was quoted $698 for a sapphire crystal on my ploprof, while I cant imaging the speedy sapphire is that price, it might be close.

6. Aussie Jim Jun 1, 2015

So I have a 2010 Chocolate Sandwich (311.30.42.30.13.001) which was my very first Speedy and I loved it. I have just taken delivery of a 145.022. The difference is extraordinary in look and not just the patina. I now think the Sapphire takes away from the look of the dial and the whole face. It is one of those mildly disappointing things where something that I loved is now put in the shade by a new acquisition.

I am sure I will get over it, and the younger watch makes a much better daily wear. It is fascinating how such an ostensibly small thing can make a real difference

7. yinzerniner Jun 1, 2015

I think Al Archer once quoted that the replacement sapphire crystal for the Speedy goes for something like $1k, and that's ordering direct from Omega to his shop, as he had to order one to fix a piece runover by a car. So in case they do shatter in the event you're fighting the Avengers then the fix will be costly.