Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 21, 2015

I bought a sapphire sandwich, didn't love it... So I sold it immediately. I missed the versatility of it, missed its unique character as well as its history.

I bought another one. But soon after there was something that just didn't sit right with me when I put it on and looked at it at certain light and angles. I still didn't love it, it looked small in my wrist and just wasn't right... So I sold that one too.

I started missing it again, it's versatility, it's charm. But this time I started to notice the original Moonwatch for all its really worth. I noticed its curves, it's seemless angles and its dial as the light bounced off its crystal.
    Difference between the two... Hesalite!
    I struggled with the idea of buying a 3k+ watch with a plastic crystal. I mean it's 2015, shouldn't I have the best my money can buy? Plus my family man on the go lifestyle seemed to fit the idea of a scratch proof material.
    Well, after a few visits to the boutique and full side by side comparison I realized the problem I was having all along. The reason for my lack of love for the speedy was actually the sapphire. Visually, the hesalite just made me happy to look at. It changed in the light and gave the top of the watch dimensions. It also made the dial look slightly bigger with the blending of it's black into the bezel. No more white ring around the dial from sapphire. Simply glorious design and truly a classic timepiece way beyond its years when first created.
    I'm still worried about scratching up my crystal, but at least I love my new watch!
    I hope this helps some soon to be owners in making a decision. If your anything like me though, it will probably make it harder to decide :)
    Happy Speedy Tuesday everyone.

Here are some sapphire and hesalite comparisons followed by some shots of my new Speedy and its domed hesalite crystal.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Apr 21, 2015
    Sterling, splee, Jones in LA and 8 others like this.
  2. shoota70 Apr 21, 2015

It is as if I wrote that myself.

100% agree.

3. shoota70 Apr 21, 2015

now if i could only get a 3576.50 with hesalite - that would be a dream come true.

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 21, 2015

Healite is easy to take care of. Polywatch and a 3" rifle cleaning patch does it for me.

Tom

Frunkinator likes this.
  5. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 21, 2015

Most people seem to use old cotton tShirt sleeves, but gun cleaning patches are a good idea.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 21, 2015

I already had them for, er, cleaning guns, and it worked out well!

Tom

Dombo63, noelekal and Frunkinator like this.
  7. gophishin Apr 21, 2015

Congrats on finally finding some peace with the speedy. I shared a lot of the same thoughts on the sapphire vs hesalite both on the practicality and ultimately what I felt looked best. I wish they would use the Hesalite on the FOIS.

travisrock and Frunkinator like this.
  8. imexian Apr 21, 2015

Yep, there is something about the hesalite that is a little different ...warmer? Looks ?? I don't know? Just different!

yande and Frunkinator like this.
  9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 21, 2015

You can it would be a 345.0809 and add on a sapphire caseback

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 21, 2015

now we're cookin' with peanut oil!

great choice. I agree (as do many who love the vintage speedies) that hesalite..there's just something about it.

11. Papa Legba Apr 21, 2015

good side-by-side comparison. never really noticed the 'white ring' before

12. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 21, 2015

Never thought it would actually be a deal breaker for me.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2015

The 3572.50 is really the watch they should have kept making, it was the predecessor to the 3573.50 and had hesalite front, sapphire back, with the decorated version of the movement Cal 1863.

14. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 21, 2015

They'll make a limited edition and charge a few hundred more!

15. trama Apr 21, 2015

Great post, and the side by side pics are really illustrative. I prefer the hesalite myself, but not by a big margin. Different properties of the materials make one more appropriate over the other, depending on the end user. It's the bracelets that are a little off for me. I am splitting hairs here, but I prefer the look of the old 1450 over the more recent offerings. That said, newer bracelets are much more robust than they used to be, the clasps are no longer rattly stamped sheetmetal! Enjoy.

P.S., one of those watches is off the better part of an hour :taunt:

Frunkinator likes this.
  16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 21, 2015

I'm not the biggest fan of the current Speedy bracelet either, I mean it's not bad... but not amazing either.
    With the money I saved on the hesalite, might as well go with a bad ass OEM deployment :)

Oh and a big thank you to Alam for the tip on Continental Jewelers in DC for the strap and deployment!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Apr 21, 2015
    Alex_TA and Sterling like this.
  17. shoota70 Apr 22, 2015

not cheap tho, george..

do you ever see em anymore, near minty?

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 22, 2015

Frunkinator likes this.
  19. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Apr 22, 2015

Hesalit! You`re dam right! ::psy::

zP6020031.jpg

my daily rocker ... :cool:

yande and Frunkinator like this.
  20. ikeo1 Apr 22, 2015

big fan of the 3752.50 too! Best of both worlds...