Forums Latest Members
  1. Mothra Apr 22, 2015

ok, I'm confused. Why is sapphire better than hesalite for a caseback? Surely that's the side that really wont take a beating?

2. yinzerniner Apr 22, 2015

I don't think anyone was saying it was better, it's just a shame that Omega doesn't make the the Hesalite front, sapphire display caseback model anymore.
    @Frunkinator
    I agree that the modern Speedy Pro bracelets are a bit too chunky - the 1498/1499 is a nice compromise between modern link build quality with traditional taper.

Mothra and Frunkinator like this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 22, 2015

Interesting. I upgraded my bracelet because I thought the 20/18 was much better and more attractive than the 20/16 it came with.

Tom

4. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 22, 2015

I'm ok with chunky to be honest. I actually like the SMPc bond bracelets. But in regard to the Speedmaster I'm just not a huge fan of the polished mid links blended into the brushed ones. Just my opinion. I'll still rock it, but this was the first watch that I ever bought straps for it immediately and was excited to use.

Phxrx and BrianMcKay like this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 22, 2015

As long as you're happy, that's all that matters!

Tom

Frunkinator likes this.
  6. yinzerniner Apr 24, 2015

Well I guess we just differ in our aesthetic preferences since I really like the contrasting polished and brushed elements since the case of the Speedy alternates between polished and brushed. But one great thing about the Speedy is how almost any strap, regardless of color, material, or pattern, looks fantastic.

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 24, 2015

hesalite vs sapphire..... it like vinyl vs CD, some like one, some like the other.

but there is something about vinyl!!!!

Mad Dog and Frunkinator like this.
  8. yande Apr 25, 2015

Sure is Friitz...

Omega Speedmaster 3570.50_IMG_5166.JPG

Omega Speedmaste rCropped 3570.50_IMG_4965.jpg

Baz9614, Mad Dog, Fritz and 1 other person like this.
  9. Raffles Apr 25, 2015

Hi all. Off shopping tomorrow to buy my first speedy. Which model would you buy? Should I go for sapphire glass?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 25, 2015

I merged your thread into this one as it covers the same topic and was only a few days old, you'll get a lot of good answers here

11. Raffles Apr 25, 2015

That's where it went. Posted again as not just the sapphire debate- too many choices

12. postman10mm Apr 28, 2015

I just went through the first half of this journey. Twelve years ago, I was torn between a Seamaster GMT and a Speedmaster. The GMT won and has been worn daily ever since.

Last week I pulled the trigger on a spectacular 3573.50 sapphire sandwich. I struggled with it for two days but just couldn't warm to the sapphire crystal. Now its sold and my search for a 3572.50 or 3570.50 has begun.

1.JPG
  13. Senorx May 21, 2015

I concur. I just took possession of my first Omega Speedy 3570.50. Purchased from Kringkily. I LOVE the Hesalite. Great post!

Puma Cat likes this.
  14. krackpot May 21, 2015

I went through the same decision making process. Initially tried on the sapphire version as I thought I wanted to see the movement and have a more durable front (I'm quite rough with my belongings). It was only after I went into a boutique to try both on that there was no decision to be made anymore. I put the sapphire version down and never considered it again; the hesalite won me in an instant. I have not regretted it since.

15. eharriett May 23, 2015

So, I'm a little confused about the hesalite/sapphire history on the Speedmaster pros. I don't own a Speedy, but I'm back on the forums now because I'm about to be in a position where I can get the ones I want. When I looked at the histories, they were hesalite. But when I see some Chrono24 and ebay pics of some of the older, pre-moon Speedies, they have that whiteish edge, indicating sapphire. Did Omega use both?

This seemed like a good place to ask from an Omega virgin trying to learn how to detect frauds.

16. yinzerniner May 25, 2015

That "white-ish" edge you see might just be an artifact from the picture, as the Sapphire Sandwich wasn't produced until 2002-2003 or so. Also the bezel for the Hesalite and Sapphire crystal models are different, so it's not a simple drop in replacement from one material to the other so substituting Hesalite for Sapphire on non-Sapphire Sandwich models would require two parts, not one.
    Even more confusingly the crystal on the Sapphire Sandwich Speedy doesn't always have the super white milky ring, but rather it's a little less pronounced and barely perceptible.
    If you're on the lookout for frauds then just know that the Speedy Sandwich has only been around the last 13 years or so.

17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 25, 2015

I like the hesalite much better. My main issue with the sapphire is that it seems to pick up finger prints and I simply dont care for the AR coating. If I could switch the Speediorite to hesalite I would.

On th AR coating, I have been rubbing it off my PO for last 30 minutes. My finger is sore, but its starting to look nice so much better. The tiny scratches in the AR have been driving me cra-cra.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2015

This is incorrect - both the 35705000 and 35735000 use the exact same bezel.

Cheers, Al

19. yinzerniner May 26, 2015

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant that the bezel crystal installation is different. I forgot the exact process, but the method of which the Sapphire is held in the bezel is different than the Hesalite, so it's not just a simple swap out of the single item as you need to have the correct additional part for the swap.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2015

They can't be swapped...the crystals are different sizes mate:

063PW5139 - GLASS PLEXI BLACK RING D34.13 H5.1

062SL5005 - GLASS SAPPHIRE AG1S MET D34.2 H4.65 + 298EG5189 - CRYSTAL GASKET Ø35 T0.57 H0.85

This whole idea is a bust I'm afraid (barring some cobbled up hack work to make it fit...).

Cheers, Al