Forums Latest Members

Help Needed!!! Potential purchase of Ed White 105.003-64

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2016

Generally, South America can be a little spotty. There are some real deals, but also a fair share of scammers. Just be careful.

I know some guys will try to get on the phone with a potential seller and say that's a good way to feel out whether the seller is sketchy or not.

2. Zuke Apr 6, 2016

Sorry that post was misleading. It sounded like I wanted to part it out, which I would never do. But I was thinking more along the lines of looking at the parts alone to come up with some sort of base / worst case price. Faulty logic I'm sure.

3. smitty190373 Apr 6, 2016

(54) 100% feedback... all as a buyer. Starting April 1st 2016.

Then sells an Ed White. Hmmmmmmmmm

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2016

Nothing wrong with valuing for parts to get to a price.. I was mainly just curious how you'd price each of those parts. I'm sometimes a bit optimistic when looking at a watch that way and might be disappointed with the outcome if I ever had to go that way on a piece to get my money out...

I say the parts would add up to maybe 3.5K or so all together.

Edit: maybe a bit more since it (allegedly) has a bracelet.. just as smitty says, the seller looks pretty suspect in this case..

smitty190373 likes this.
  5. x3no Apr 6, 2016

I'm with @oddboy on this one. Tread carefully. Lots of red flags popping up for me. Doesn't mean it won't be a legit transaction, but just be careful. Wouldn't want that fresh A3818 sale money to go to waste! :thumbsup: :whistling:

6. Zuke Apr 6, 2016

@x3no Yes I don't want to be the fool who is quickly parted from their money

Baz9614, LawBrk and smitty190373 like this.
  7. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Apr 6, 2016

Run away !!
    I wonder when these scammers will stop...

Zuke, nickw, KooKoo and 2 others like this.
  8. Davidt Apr 6, 2016

Tread very very carefully here. This is smelling very fishy indeed.

Even if the sale does turnout to be genuine, some of the figures suggested astound me. Id be thinking $4k for this. Perhaps $5k maximum, but I wouldn't be buying it at that price.

Then again, I'm probably still on Januarys prices!

Zuke, Dgercp, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  9. E-diddy Apr 6, 2016

i'd recommend passing on this one and waiting for an ed white with an original dial. buy the seller.

Zuke, KooKoo and oddboy like this.
  10. abrod520 Apr 6, 2016

Even if you were to find one like this that was legitimately for sale - DON bezels and 1039 bracelets are expensive, but can be sourced relatively easily. Pre-professional dials are very difficult to source, and even harder to find in good condition. I'd say it wouldn't be worth going after unless you already had a line on a dial.

Zuke likes this.
  11. KooKoo Apr 6, 2016

Be sure to get legit proof of life pics. And search the last 200 threads or so. There is something very not right with this seller. I wish you luck, but it smells real bad.

Zuke likes this.
  12. sky21 Apr 6, 2016

Buy the seller, the best advice on this thread I think! With so much money at stake for these watches now, a lot of people are being drawn into the selling market. Where are all of these 50 year old watches coming from? Does everyone of these guys have a grandfather who bought one brand new, wore it for a while, then stuffed it in a coffee can and forgot about it? I think it's worth it to pay more and try to get a quality piece from a reputable source, assuming of course that you want to keep it and wear it long term.

Zuke likes this.
  13. Dgercp Apr 6, 2016

Issues with seller seem very real, that plus service dial, wrong hand (s) and probably wrong pushers!
    Yikes, not sure I get the attraction at any price.

Zuke likes this.
  14. themattedial Apr 6, 2016

With a service dial, wrong hands, pushers, etc. this is going to be a money pit to get it where you'd want it to be. I'd pass for sure and don't look back. This is a total trade watch and wouldn't be surprised if the parts all came from different donors.

Zuke likes this.
  15. Zuke Apr 6, 2016

I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback, I really appreciate it.

I am definitely taking a pass on this one, too many concerns. Not to mention I still haven't received the pic of the watch set to my desired time. For those new to collecting I find this is a very good tool to use when buying from someone you don't know. You can even take it a step further and ask them to include a gov photo id in the pic.

16. g-boac Apr 6, 2016

Ed White with a service dial? That's sub-$4K. Especially if on a 1039 and end links other than 6.

Zuke likes this.
  17. Zuke Apr 6, 2016

Well I was excited as the agreement that we came to was $3,500 USD. But ultimately it's not worth the risk, and I know that I'd just end up selling it because it's not a good example

18. grizzlycanuck Apr 7, 2016

I think you made a really good decision. It's tempting, too good to be true, and will end up as a big headache as you try to get your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ibis888 Apr 7, 2016

FYI: there's a rather nice looking Ed White for sale over in the sales forum right now - although it's rather ambitiously priced.

Charles@UW likes this.
  20. mac_444 Apr 7, 2016

DONT BE FOOLED BY THIS LISTING
    THE MAN FROM EQUADOR IS A CONMAN
    HE ONLY WANTS BUYERS TO PAY INTO HIS PAYPAL ACCOUNT
    LOOK ONLY A MEMBER FOR 1 WEEK AND HAS 54 FEEDBACKS
    ALL AS A BUYER
    COME ON LOOK SHARP
    WILL NOT POST A PHOTO OF THE EXACT TIME ON THE WATCH
    HES OFFERING THIS ED WHITE A CHEAP PRICE JUST TO GET YOU TO SEND CASH

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !