Help…bought a new but malfunction Moonwatch

It's the combination of being out thousands of dollars, and not having a watch to show for it for months that irks people.

How are you “out” thousandth of dollars? Isn’t this money you spent willingly?

Having it fixed the next day wasn’t ever possible, even when there were plenty of watchmakers, no supply chain issues, etc.

This is the way things are, and not just with Omega. For better or worse this is the nature of the beast...

It’s just today precious society. I just got this from my investment property with 2 guys (brothers) in their late 20s rent…

2BFC5F28-CC78-47FF-A226-6793516427ED.jpeg

FFS 🤦

Will put their rent up $20 a week next time so this has just cost them $960 😉

If there were some sort of priority system, where a person with an issue within a week had it fixed same day (like a car), I think most people would not have an issue with the repair.

(I say this as a guy who bought a new car, and heard a squeaky rear deck lid as I was driving it home from the dealer. It was fixed the next day, and I was fine with that).

Yes I think that would be a great idea, a week or so is not big deal. Several months without a new piece is crazy.

I wonder though if there is a fine balance between swift service and perceived "Swiss craftsmanship". Too fast and "it was just bodged" and less prestige vs a prolonged service perceived to be done to the best standards by master watchmakers.
Edited:

I purchased a Moonwatch Professional on Jan 17th 2023 in Taipei, Taiwan. In less than 1 week on Jan 22nd, the start/stop button of the chronograph is malfunction. I can press it but there is no click and nothing happen. It just doesn't start. I owned several other high-end watches and I don't believe it's because of my operational error.

I took it back to the store on Feb 1st 2023. The sales confirmed the malfunction. I asked it to be replaced by a new watch but the sales insisted that it has to be sent back for repair.

This is unacceptable for me. I spent over USD 7,000 on a Moonwatch, which its brand certainly doesn't suggest such quality and services. If I sent it back for repair, that means I won't be able to wear my new watch in the next few weeks/months. And, this new watch will be a repaired watch which I have lost faith in its condition. This is a really really bad customer experience.

Does anyone have similar experience or just me being in Taiwan, dealing with local direct retail store…

any advise for me? Thanks!

I just had the same type of chrono problem with my Speedy 321 Ed White and that watch cost me grey pricing. My OB told me 8-12 months to repair as it has to go to Bienne only. I was really bummed, mostly because I fell in love with the finish on that caliber 321.

It’s just today precious society. I just got this from my investment property with 2 guys (brothers) in their late 20s rent…

FFS 🤦

You're a bigger man than me. I'd be tempted to take the whole fence down. Problem solved.

FFS is right.

FFS 🤦

I'd be telling them to cut the f'kin grass so they can get to the fence and bang a nail or two into it.

How are you “out” thousandth of dollars? Isn’t this money you spent willingly?

I mean for a few months, you have neither the money nor the watch. So you are "out" in the sense of nothing to show for it, for a while.

This is the way things are, and not just with Omega. For better or worse this is the nature of the beast...

Agreed, and most people feel it is "worse". 😀

I mean for a few months, you have neither the money nor the watch. So you are "out" in the sense of nothing to show for it, for a while.

Agreed, and most people feel it is "worse". 😀

It's unfortunate that people have little patience. Like I've said, I understand it's disappointing, but these aren't lifesaving drugs...it's man jewelry...

I'd be telling them to cut the f'kin grass so they can get to the fence and bang a nail or two into it.

Digressing a bit, I saw this video last week on the origins of Hank Hill's voice on King of the Hill. At 2 minutes he talks about being told he is using the wrong nails for a fence. So just maybe the renters know that they don't know...which is something!

FFS 🤦

My tenants called me in a panic because a cold front was arriving and the furnace wasn't blowing warm air. Of course, they had never changed the filter, even though I gave them a stack of filters, showed them how to change it, and reminded them every two months. They are graduate students in aerospace engineering. 🤦

So I went over, changed the filter, and the furnace ignited immediately. "Wow, who would have thought that a filter would make such a difference?"
Edited:

I just had the same type of chrono problem with my Speedy 321 Ed White and that watch cost me grey pricing. My OB told me 8-12 months to repair as it has to go to Bienne only. I was really bummed, mostly because I fell in love with the finish on that caliber 321.
I can't remember any other new 321 Ed Whites having issues, they have been very reliable. It seems like you just got a bum one right off the bat. Return it and try again, you will have better luck next time. It's a watch worth owning and enjoying.
Edited:

A MacBook might cost much at retail but the cost to produce it is only a couple of hundreds $. They are produced in the millions and are very disposable.
That is wrong by a large factor (3-5), if you look at an actual cost breakdown. For the top models, $200 wouldn't even cover the e.g., M1 Max/Ultra chip, let alone the rest of the hardware.

My tenants called me in a panic because a cold front was arriving and the furnace wasn't blowing warm air. Of course, they had never changed the filter, even though I gave them a stack of filters, showed them how to change it, and reminded them every two months. They are graduate students in aerospace engineering. 🤦

So I went over, changed the filter, and the furnace ignited immediately. "Wow, who would have thought that a filter would make such a difference?"

Made a fair bit of a difference on Apollo 13 😗

C9425595-8968-43DB-B673-AE88C33C2F57.png

If this was the UK (which it's obviously not) then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would govern. Broadly speaking it gives the consumer the right to return defective/faulty goods within 30 days for a refund (not, as far as I can see, a like for like replacement). Thereafter you are into repair/refurbish territory. The OP should check consumer rights law in his jurisdiction.

Agreed - in the UK I’d ask for a new watch, if they didn’t want to do that, then I’d insist on a refund under the CRA and then go buy a new watch from the next shop. Perhaps another reason not to buy new…

If this seems mercernary, well just bear in mind that Omega, is part of a big corporation, and like most corporations don’t actually care about you as an individual - you are just a sales transaction. All the heritage/ emotion stuff is just a trick of marketing and brand consultants. It’s difficult and messy for them to process a replacement (the repair, resale and accounting), so it’s easier for them to repair it. So as the post says above - start with the consumer rights laws in your jurisdiction, decide what YOU want to do, and go from there.

And OP - there really are some awesome vintage Speedies in the FS section - buy one of those for a lot less than $7k and I guarantee you’ll have a happier, more fulfilling life…
Edited:

And OP - there really are some awesome vintage Speedies in the FS section - buy one of those for a lot less than $7k and I guarantee you’ll have a happier, more fulfilling life…

Cheaper yes.

Not sure about that guarantee to be happier. Forum transactions don't come with a 5-year warranty lol.

Are issues with the chrono relatively common? I joined this forum around a month ago and got a new Moonwatch a fortnight ago and have loved it. Took it into the AD today to get bracelet adjusted and when I got home it was half an hour slow. The chrono works 19 times out of 20 but seems to get stuck every now and then, and this causes it the second hand to stop at same time. Will take it to AD and see how they respond - been great so far :-(

Not sure about your timing issue, but the chrono pushers can be stiff in a new watch. The cam and pusher system become a bit smoother as you use them more.

Are issues with the chrono relatively common? I joined this forum around a month ago and got a new Moonwatch a fortnight ago and have loved it. Took it into the AD today to get bracelet adjusted and when I got home it was half an hour slow. The chrono works 19 times out of 20 but seems to get stuck every now and then, and this causes it the second hand to stop at same time. Will take it to AD and see how they respond - been great so far :-(

Are you fully winding it every day? If not, that would be the place to start.

Are you fully winding it every day? If not, that would be the place to start.
Yes, have been fully winding it each morning but no more than that. When chrono malfunctions it jumps about half a second the just sticks, but causes watch to stop too (ie not just the chrono)