Help…bought a new but malfunction Moonwatch

Am I the only one surprised at the $7k USD retail price for a standard moonwatch?

You might be...

have you seen the coin for a new car, house, pair of shoes, socks, undies, phone, TV, PC, set of tires, roof, candy bar, college, movie in a theater, fast food, bag o' chips, etc?

Old enough I'm still acclimating to having to pay for air for my tires at a gas station.

Let me clarify my original question: last time I bought a full retail Moonwatch directly from Omega it was around $5500 USD. So, when I saw $7000 USD in this case, that means they have either raised the MSRP of the standard Moonwatch, or, there was an unreasonable markup in this case. Which is it, was my intended question.
You can't directly compare an 1861 to a 3861 model, different movements and bracelets. You may want to believe they should cost the same but they don't, someone is going to pay for the upgrades and redesign, and luxury products aren't priced on their production costs. If you think the current price is too high the solution is simple, DON'T BUY ONE.

The bread was $6k? Folks, if you want to act like me (successful) you need to bring more logic. Crap product now. You guys are fanboys. Wake up.

What are you buying now ?

You can't directly compare an 1861 to a 3861 model, different movements and bracelets. You may want to believe they should cost the same but they don't, someone is going to pay for the upgrades and redesign, and luxury products aren't priced on their production costs. If you think the current price is too high the solution is simple, DON'T BUY ONE.

Ah, thank you for pointing out these differences, I didn't think of that. It did occur to me it may just be simple inflation, like most other things. No need to shout though.

No, you are not the only one.

You are buying the mythos and emotions.

There is no reason for the watch to be thousands of dollars when the Chinese make a tourbillon movement for 100 bucks.
What's the difference in labor costs?

Ah, thank you for pointing out these differences, I didn't think of that. It did occur to me it may just be simple inflation, like most other things. No need to shout though.

Still just a basic Moonwatch that has gone up from last year to this year. Same as the couple of hundred the same service just went up.
In Australia the same watch available last year just went up $500 and the service price went up $300

The bread was $6k? Folks, if you want to act like me (successful) you need to bring more logic. Crap product now. You guys are fanboys. Wake up.
Don’t act like him (banned).

Don’t act like him (banned).

Well he doesn’t own a Omega, kinda weird still being a member here 1F4C8AE6-5780-45D8-A1DA-6E77BEBF5717.gif

Well he doesn’t own a Omega, kinda weird still being a member here 1F4C8AE6-5780-45D8-A1DA-6E77BEBF5717.gif
I mean you can criticize the brand too, that’s not a problem. It’s when a dude is just being a rude troll to other members after only 9 posts, that’s a guy that belongs elsewhere.

Point taken, no need to shout. Sorry.

Point taken, no need to shout. Sorry.

I feel like we’ve all grown a lot in this thread, you guys. Some real healing has happened here today.

I mean you can criticize the brand too, that’s not a problem. It’s when a dude is just being a rude troll to other members after only 9 posts, that’s a guy that belongs elsewhere.
I hope he does'nt burn me on his YouTube channel

I wanted to ask him for a link to that video he apparently got 1k views on in an hour. Impressive numbers. I can imagine the staff felt very comfortable and acted totally normal while being filmed like they are on an episode of Cops. Definitely seems like a "successful" approach. 🙄 **Sarcasm alert**

Let me clarify my original question: last time I bought a full retail Moonwatch directly from Omega it was around $5500 USD. So, when I saw $7000 USD in this case, that means they have either raised the MSRP of the standard Moonwatch, or, there was an unreasonable markup in this case. Which is it, was my intended question.
The new movement is now a Master Chronometer, which requires way more testing than the old 1861. The old 1861 was only adjusted in 3 positions.
As someone already pointed out, there has also been a redesign for the case and bracelet.

HOWEVER, does it justify the huge price hike? Probably not.

Omega is definitely getting more expensive.

If this was the UK (which it's obviously not) then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would govern. Broadly speaking it gives the consumer the right to return defective/faulty goods within 30 days for a refund (not, as far as I can see, a like for like replacement). Thereafter you are into repair/refurbish territory. The OP should check consumer rights law in his jurisdiction.

Yet folks are getting in line, waiting for hours for the privilege of buying a $250? MoonSwatch, a non-repairable watch where not even the crystal can be replaced. You can replace the battery and strap, but if it goes wonky under warranty, Swatch has no other option than to replace, otherwise it's a disposable. Have watched (Swatched?) Them being bid well over $400 on ebay. Have watched this debacle for a while without understanding the hysteria over a cheap copy of a Speedy.

I'm not a big Moonswatch person, although I bought one for my son (at retail, no queue), and he loves it.

But if I were, the calculation might include the fact that if a Moonswatch lasts 3-5 years, then I can afford at least a decade's worth of fun new ones for around the cost of having my real one serviced once, with the new price hikes. And the fun of the new, and of variety, maybe trumps the value of the old n' steady.

That, at least, is the sort of calculation my son might make, as a kid who loved watches but finds it hard to understand the huge spread of prices relative to apparent value.

In this case, I get being annoyed by a defect in a brand-new watch. But I also think that having a fully-repaired and tested as-new watch in a reasonable time frame -- which I think Omega pay close attention to -- is fair compensation.

If this was the UK (which it's obviously not) then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 would govern. Broadly speaking it gives the consumer the right to return defective/faulty goods within 30 days for a refund (not, as far as I can see, a like for like replacement). Thereafter you are into repair/refurbish territory. The OP should check consumer rights law in his jurisdiction.

Similar laws regarding consumer goods purchased in Australia. A number of large multinationals have gotten into trouble here by trying to enforce their T&Cs of purchase. In Australia, local consumer law overrides anything a company prints / states etc regarding warranty of goods sold.

Super friendly consumer laws regarding ability to return merchandise if a flaw (any flaw?) is found in the first 30 days guarantees one thing.....overall higher prices in those markets, and quite possibly less selection. It may not be a lot but every rule and law affects the marketplace one way or the other.
Edited:

So let's run this through - in your ideal world it seems Omega will institute a policy to replace every watch that has a defect. So what do they do with those? Would you accept if they repair them, make them as new, and sell them as new? Just take the hit and shuffle them off to the grey market after they are repaired? Are you willing to take more price increases as a result of this policy change?

To me, the real issue is the length of time it would take to get it serviced.

It's the combination of being out thousands of dollars, and not having a watch to show for it for months that irks people. (Correct me if I am wrong on the time for repairs at an Omega service centre).

If there were some sort of priority system, where a person with an issue within a week had it fixed same day (like a car), I think most people would not have an issue with the repair.

(I say this as a guy who bought a new car, and heard a squeaky rear deck lid as I was driving it home from the dealer. It was fixed the next day, and I was fine with that).