Forums Latest Members

Have you worn your Speedmaster skiing?

1. haganaga Dec 21, 2019

Hi folks,

I’m curious if any of you guys wear your Speedy when skiing (snow, not water). It seems like it should be perfectly fine but I’m just thinking about the inevitable crashes and snow getting up the sleeve. Seems the watch would be wet for a considerably longer time than recommended. Mostly I’m just looking for an excuse to get another watch before the next time I go skiing. Hahaha.

Thanks!

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 21, 2019

Umm, so how long is the recommended time for being wet ?

3. haganaga Dec 21, 2019

Fair point.

STANDY likes this.
  4. RI Omega Fan Dec 21, 2019

Of course you can wear your Speedmaster skiing...

Foo2rama and haganaga like this.
  5. chronos Dec 21, 2019

I think it depends on how good you are at skiing. As my mother's hometown was in the Swiss Alps, I pretty much grew up on the slopes.
    So when I go skiing today, I normally don't crash so my sleeves stay dry (I don't go skiing when it snows).
    I plan to wear my new Speedmaster on the slopes in February

Edit; replaced "sober" with "dry" ;)

DaveK and haganaga like this.
  6. steveb73 Dec 21, 2019

Not tried it with my Speedmaster, but I did go snowboarding with the Seiko below. It was a big mistake!!!
    I fell backwards and put my hand back stop me and the bracelet actually cut into my wrist and the spring bar ended up popping out.
    Found the bar in my glove and it wasn't even bent, put it back together and it's been fine ever since.
    Shortly after that I got a G-Shock and never had a problem again!!!

DSC_0179.JPG

7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 21, 2019

Yep...skiing and all kinds of activities. You can even go diving with it, up to a depth of 50m (provides the seals are relatively fresh and the watch has been checked relatively recently) as per the product specs, which is 30m deeper than most divers dive at, also provided you don’t mess with the pushers and crown underwater.

8. Nathan1967 Dec 21, 2019

In the past Skiing, Snowboarding, Tobogganing and with no mishaps.

Would I now? No probably not. But that’s more about me than the watch, I’m just a little less carefree these days :(

janice&fred and haganaga like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 21, 2019

From the Omega website: ( don’t know if it’s still there )

"Italian mountaineer Reinhold Messner, the first to have climbed all fourteen “eight-thousanders” (peaks over 8,000 metres above sea level) and the first to have climbed Everest solo without supplemental oxygen, wore a Speedmaster on his 1989 expedition to the Geographic South Pole, crossing Antarctica on skis."

10. janice&fred Dec 21, 2019

just as loads of threads on other forums that go sorta like "is it safe to wear my rolex while on vacation?" I would say it all depends on one's personal level of competence while engaging in potentially risky activities. just the other day I was considering wearing my speedmaster while playing Russian roulette during a particularly intense drinking bout with pals, but figured if the gun goes off the shock waves might loosen up a hand so wisely decided to take the thing off.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 21, 2019

So exited to post this:

Photos! Without photos didn’t happen!

What I really mean is we all discuss this, me included and I have announced this fact (50m) to others. But do any of us believe it?

I think we need a speedmaster depth challenge.

eugeneandresson and Nathan1967 like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 21, 2019

I think we need to discuss wearing a speedy while eating melted stinky cheeses again, :D

13. haganaga Dec 21, 2019

Alright, smart alecks. :p Perhaps I should have worded the question to ask if anyone has ever had an issue with their Speedmaster while skiing?

14. Dan S Dec 21, 2019

Of course you can wear it skiing. Whether it's a good idea or not really depends on how aggressive your skiing will be since it could easily be damaged by a rock or a tree. In general, I see no good reason to wear nice watches for any athletic activity. That's what G-Shocks are for.

15. Wryfox Dec 21, 2019

Y'all have COMPLETELY missed the point of his post!!

OF COURSE you have permission from us to buy another watch. Omega Forums completely endorses the need for a new "skiing" watch!:coffee:

(In fact, you might need a different one for downhill and then cross country)

How silly of you for thinking ONE watch could do everything. Silly, silly, boy. :whipped:

PhilF, queriver, Spacefruit and 5 others like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 21, 2019

I remember getting a lecture about wearing my Rolex GMT cycling or was it my Reverso? Anyway.....This Todd Snyder Timex is my go to now for such things. Its the one watch that is on my wrist just about every day for couple hours. Sits on my dresser, goes on every trip with me.
    42DC5B8A-84FF-43FA-8A7D-DA9D62551318.jpeg

wagudc likes this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 21, 2019

Here we go.

And here...

SpeedmasterDiver.jpg

Untitled.jpg

:whistling:

(@Nathan1967, please share THE diving shots (preferably the ones with the Speedo...in Xmas spirit for the ladies of the OF))

I read that the reason for the smaller subdial circles of the professional red-racing sans AML was a design feature to extend the depth of the Speedmaster from 50m to 150m ...

:whistling:

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2019

I've tested them in water well past the pressure of 5 ATM...so yes I believe it.

greyfox422 likes this.
  19. Shabbaz Dec 21, 2019

Skiing.. no problemo...

20. PhilF Dec 21, 2019

Please review the testing performed on the Speedmaster by NASA, that testing, plus multiple launches, spacewalks, the conditions on Apollo 13, re-entries and the moon walks and other EVA's should be enough to let you relax and ski with a Speedmaster.