Forums Latest Members

Hands-On With The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Platinum Caliber 321

1. Pun Nov 10, 2019

Robert-Jan and gostang9 like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 10, 2019

would be great if they (being omega) somehow gave preference to collectors for ordering this...ie those with both ST1&ST2 ...

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. gostang9 Nov 10, 2019

Then I would start shopping for ST1... :cool:

eugeneandresson, Robert-Jan and Pun like this.
  4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 10, 2019

You can’t notice the difference between operating a cal 861 and a cal 321?

5. watchtinker Nov 10, 2019

The definition of prototype, that is a first or preliminary version of a device which is being developed, hardly applies to a mass produced movement that has been on the market for nearly thirty years. The problem is simply related to the correct adjusting of the minute-recording jumper, a task taught in any training course at the time of my formation that I would imagine still is.
    The thing is that anyone who has overhauled hundreds of this calibers when they were rightfully meant to be basic tools would find embarrassing such a flaw given the current publicity and the price point of this re-edition.

M'Bob, Archer and Robert-Jan like this.
  6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 10, 2019

OK. Fact is that a huge amount of new products are first shown as prototype during Basel, SIHH etc. and often (still) show flaws. Even if these are based on designs/movements that have been on the market for ages. I don’t like it either when I see this at product presentations, but they often don’t represent the quality of the final watch that goes intro production.

Sethmns likes this.
  7. weimi1 Nov 10, 2019

Hello Rober-Jan, thanks for the answer.
    Then we let ourselves be surprised what will happen.
    I would only be embarrassed if the new old caliber 321 is advertised, but now maybe it turns out that it is not economically to manufacture in a new edition and therefore the announced quantities are never reached or the 321 is set back very quickly.
    The next months will show.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  8. weimi1 Nov 10, 2019

The platinum version will certainly not be easy to order, as it will come only in small quantities and the first once will determined only for selected customers.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 10, 2019

So you are saying that is what "more precise action" means? Just a difference in the feel of the pusher?

Sure, I can feel a difference but is the operation "more precise" with the 321? Does the column wheel make anything more accurate? Not in my view.

How do you define "precise" in the context of the feel of the operation? If it means do I know more easily when the chronograph is about to start, so that I can time something more accurately, I would say the 861 is better for that. The 321 pusher is somewhat "mushy" compared to the 861, and the 861 snaps over the cam in a more immediate fashion.

These vague marketing style phrases are so open to interpretation that they are virtually meaningless...

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 10, 2019

You would think the one used for demonstration purposes they would be extra careful to make sure it's right, rather than make excuses that it's early production (I agree not at all what the word "prototype" means). In particular since this is, by Omega's own marketing material, a movement that is exactly the same as the ones that watchmakers all over the world still work on and adjust properly virtually every day...

Again to me this language of "prototype" is all marketing driven. Just like the ridiculous notion that they had to scan some old watch to know what the details were. It's all a part of making the task of reissuing a watch that was made for decades (with a movement made by Breguet very recently) seem like some herculean feat...pure 100% marketing BS.

I know you built yourself a 321 from spare parts, and I would guess that you would agree that assembling one with brand new parts should be much easier than restoring some old worn out 321 (the kind of thing you and I do regularly), so if anything this makes the error even more egregious.

LeonDeBayonne, watchtinker and YY77 like this.
  11. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 10, 2019

yes, these are two different things indeed. Perhaps I didnt express myself properly (English is not my native language). There’s the feel, which is a bit ‘softer’ with columnwheel movements. Then, and here’s the ‘precise’ part, the chronographs with a shuttle cam appears to have a somewhat ‘jumpy’ seconds hand when you start the chronograph.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 10, 2019

This is a potential issue on any horizontally coupled chronograph...cam or column wheel has no impact on this.

13. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 10, 2019

ah! Thanks & Good to know :) So, strike through my comment on more precise action.

14. kelsey Nov 10, 2019

Disagree, the few people who want one will easily get one through their OB, it’s not a limited edition. Limited capacity to produce the 321 yes but that capacity is well above any they’d sell in platinum.

The reason I withdrew my request for one is personally I feel the 50th Gold blew this out of the water, so wouldn’t pay significantly more for this platinum liking it a lot less then the gold.

Will potentially go the steel 321 if it’s not overdone eg hoping for a simple pre moon style speedy 321.

ACTmike likes this.
  15. ejj Nov 10, 2019

I'm not interested in new Speedmaster--at least what they are offering, but the 50th Gold is the nicest new watch I've seen lately from anyone.

kelsey and SpeedyPhill like this.
  16. weimi1 Nov 11, 2019

Disagree, the demand is high as it sounds. Only significantly fewer quantities will come onto the market. The first quantity should be very small and if one considers that it should be delivered worldwide, at the beginning only few will reach the respective countries. Less than 10 should come to Germany and so far I could always rely on the statements of my dealer.
    I would like to be persuaded of the opposite, what say your dealer for availability?

17. kelsey Nov 11, 2019

Of course few will be made because the demand will be weak, but anyone who orders will certainly get one. Almost made on demand kinda thing, but this platinum for those who want from an OB will be easily able to get.
    Platinum omegas don’t sell look at most platinum omega additions most well under 100 and many even under 10 in total produced so yeah you won’t walk into ADs and see them but they’re not hard to get if you order from OBs.
    Platinum omega are hard to sell when platinum is traded historically above gold, even less likely to sell with platinums price is now well below gold for the foreseeable future.

18. Evitzee Nov 26, 2019

The Pt 321 is now on the US website, $59,400. (Available in stores from December 2019)

Edited Nov 26, 2019
  19. 8100_RPM Nov 26, 2019

20. MCG555 Nov 27, 2019