Forums Latest Auctions Members

Hands-On With The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Platinum Caliber 321

1. Robert-Jan

Robert-Jan Editor of Fratellowatches.com Oct 1, 2019

[​IMG]
    On July 21st, exactly 50 years after Armstrong and Aldrin set foot on the Moon, Omega re-introduced their Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch caliber 321. In platinum. Meet the Omega Speedmaster reference 311.93.42.30.99.001. My first Speedmaster was a reference 145.012-67, produced in February 1968 according to the Omega archives and with caliber 321. At the time, in […]

Visit Hands-On With The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Platinum Caliber 321 to read the full article.

Edited Oct 1, 2019
  2. bdp

bdp Oct 1, 2019

As always an in depth article that is easy to read. Thanks
    What an amazing watch and with so many historical links.:thumbsup:

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. snarkq

snarkq Oct 1, 2019

The finishing looks absolutely incredible. Great photos. Hope to hear more about your trip to italy soon :)

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. wouter van wijk

wouter van wijk Oct 1, 2019

stunning watch. the dial is really wel executed.

Robert-Jan and pascs like this.
  5. Ian_km

Ian_km Oct 1, 2019

Looks amazing, subtle and classy, very impressed.

Well executed article too, looking forward to the steel version.

6. pianomankd

pianomankd Oct 1, 2019

If Omega did a regular version with the latest Speedy caliber in there (so the price would come down obviously) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. What a gorgeous dial!

7. Omega-Q

Omega-Q Oct 1, 2019

As always, thanks for the wonderful reviews, history lesson, and photos of thew new 321! It was a feast for my eyes!

8. orlis

orlis Oct 1, 2019

I had a chance to try one during speedytuesday NYC event and i mus say this piece is gorgeous. Of course out of my budget, but i hope we will see something more affordable soon. the only problem I have with it: is 10k EUR for a steel speedmaster considered to be affordable? ;) F20FC6F1-6FF0-4606-85F2-D31B411FCFBD.jpeg A076DAB0-1AF1-48E3-81F5-EDFD495ACE65.jpeg

gippo and Meme-Dweller like this.
  9. MCC

MCC Oct 1, 2019

Good article with fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing.

10. Evitzee

Evitzee Oct 1, 2019

Excellent Fratello article, as usual. Expensive for a platinum strap watch with Omega finishing, but there must be a small market for this halo piece. It would have been nice for Omega to offer a platinum bracelet in the same style as the Apol lo 11 as an option. Damn the price, luxury costs money! Looks like the steel version will be in the $12-15k range, not on any 'must have' list for me.

Edited Oct 1, 2019
    rominvicta and Speedimaster like this.
  11. watchtinker

watchtinker Oct 2, 2019

Much has been written on this model but no words have been spent so far on its accuracy and precision.
    Given that Omega states that "in a dedicated workshop, every Speedmaster watch with a caliber 321 will be assembled and finished by one specific watchmaker" it would be interesting to assess the quality of the components some fifty years after the last original batch of production.
    Unfortunately, the first specimens, after the problem shown by the minute counter in a video, do not look very promising. In fact, Omega has not even bothered to center the regulator in the displayed picture. While this would be perfectly admissible on most watches, it nevertheless appears a lack of attention on a 56K movement.

Image2.jpg

S.H. and rominvicta like this.
  12. machamp6650

machamp6650 Oct 2, 2019

Is the read from this that an upcoming stainless steel release might be some kind of replication or build based on the 105.003?

13. rominvicta

rominvicta Oct 4, 2019

“Don’t expect a Speedmaster with caliber 321 for the same price as the current caliber 1861, or perhaps even as the steel Apollo XI with caliber 3861. I guess that it will be above 10.000 Euro given the use of the new caliber 321 movements and its special workshop involved.”

Wow, wow, wow ... grapes start to appear bitter now. Let’s see whether it will become a grail or a failure.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  14. S.H.

S.H. Oct 5, 2019

And with an exhibition back, on a watch which is supposed to feature in blogs, pictures, etc... ::facepalm2:::D

15. Martin_J_N

Martin_J_N Oct 5, 2019

I really hope for a SS 321 at a reasonable price but it appears that it is likely to be above £10k which is a shame, it will be a regular watch in the Omega range so no need to buy as soon as it come out but waiting lists will be long and grey market prices extremely high as flippers aim for a large profit.

So next year, do I put my name down for a SS 321, an Apollo 13 50th Speedmaster, or a LE Seamaster for the new JB film, oh such choices to be tested by. :D

16. weimi1

weimi1 Nov 9, 2019

I would be pleased by a comment from Robert Jan, if possible, how he would assess the delivery situation. The statements are condensing more and more that the indicated quantities of 321 caliber will not come. Is that so?

Robert-Jan likes this.
  17. airansun

airansun Nov 9, 2019

Buy vintage. It’s cheaper and it’s better.

1500th post! ::psy::

18. Robert-Jan

Robert-Jan Editor of Fratellowatches.com Nov 9, 2019

Hi,

the prognosed quantity is between 1000 and 2000 caliber 321 movements per year once the production is fully up to speed. A small fraction of that will be reserved for the platinum Speedmaster. None of the watches has been delivered yet, but that will hopefully be the case before end of this year. So don’t expect delivery of 1000-2000 watches in the next two months ;) This is information given by Omega during our last Speedy Tuesday events and I haven’t heard anything different from them since.

weimi1 likes this.
  19. Robert-Jan

Not sure it is better tbh, but that might depend on the definition.

airansun likes this.
  20. Robert-Jan

That movie was not supposed to float around I think. As it was done with a prototype, not with a final product. I have seen worse prototypes during Basel and SIHH, these things can happen. I think we can assume that production models will come without these flaws. Anyway, I wouldnt jump to conclusions based on prototypes, ever.

weimi1 and Evitzee like this.