Forums Latest Members

Hands-On With The Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Platinum Caliber 321

1. LeonDeBayonne Nov 9, 2019

All of this was quite entertaining, now back to reality: what's the technical edge/benefit of 321 vs. 1861? At such a high price tag, one has to provide a good answer, no?

2. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

There is no technical edge, except the use of a column wheel for preciser action of the chronograph. It is not about technical edge either, it is about the use of a much praised and appreciated movement from the past. If that’s not your thing, then you can save yourself some money ;)

Pun and eugeneandresson like this.
  3. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

I’ll take a run at that.

1 - why buy a homage when you can have the original for less money?

2 - why gild the 321 lily with all the gratuitous luxury stuff? Truer to the 321 heritage would have been a stainless steel piece.

3 - Yeah, this new watch will always be special, but in a very different way from the watch it’s imitating.

It’s subtle, but I can tell the difference between the new and old movements just by looking at how the parts were finished. To me, the old 321 movements are truly beautiful and the new ones are more like the poster of the masterpiece painting than the painting itself.

But, I haven’t held one in my hand.

Of course, I’d rather have a really nice 2998-1 or -2 for the same money. Who wouldn’t? And that should be my number 4.

Gratuitous watch photo:
    A4B97A5B-DF70-4395-90EE-770FBF644CB5.jpeg

You could easily have two of these for the same money as one of the new platinum cuties.

Edited Nov 9, 2019
    64Wing, artek, WatchCor and 4 others like this.
  4. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

I can see all that, but still, does it mean it is better? Better in what? Better quality? Better looks? Better investment? If a vintage one is better for you, then that’s a good thing for you. With today’s precision in watchmaking (smaller tolerances), we can debate about built quality. But I think if it is the case, it is very marginal when it comes to the movement.

Anyway, I am curious to see what they will come up with for the steel version. I will give my judgement when I see and hold the new piece (and see its final price tag).

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 9, 2019

Let's say a vintage 321 is more collectable ;)
    Doubt there'll ever be a SS 321 version...

airansun likes this.
  6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

There will be.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 9, 2019

A good well written article. I am curious why they bothered with the 2% gold in the alloy, other than bragging rights I can’t think of anything it brings to the party unless the desire was for a warmth to the metal colour.

airansun and Robert-Jan like this.
  8. LeonDeBayonne Nov 9, 2019

Indeed, I will save myself some money. My worry is the direction Omega is taking with this 321 BS, the RAID BS, or whatever too many LE BS… My advice to Omega management and marketing guys is to take a leave of absence, stop travelling for a while and then go back to the black board. You will probably tell me that I am not forced to buy. True. But meanwhile as a fairly good customer, I also care of the brand value and I truly believe that it is no longer heading to the right direction. Too much short-termism.

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

it is exactly that. The effect on the color.

Spacefruit and padders like this.
  10. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

Yes, I agree on all that (although there are also some valid reasons to do LEs). Let’s wait and see what will happen in 2020 ;-)

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  11. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

Flip through the limited edition section of MWO and, honestly, how many designs were outstanding and how many uninspired, to say nothing of the dogs in there. What’s Omega’s real batting average here? Not too good.

We all see this. We love the brand, we love the watch. We want to love the limited editions. But, how many times have we been disappointed?

It feels like it must drive Omega crazy to not have a direct share of the vintage market in their watches. Therefore, “Let’s load this up with precious metals so we can get into the 2998 price range.”

I wonder what Omega’s margin is on each of these pieces. I understand ... development and tooling costs etc etc.

SpeedyPhill and Robert-Jan like this.
  12. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

not sure to whom you are addressing this. I agree on many points, too many LEs isnt good and not all of them have been a success. But I also understand we are only a (small) portion of their customers. LEs still sell, and that’s what brands have to do. Sell watches. I just hope we will see less LEs in the future, aside from some really good ones and those with real value for collectors.

airansun likes this.
  13. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

Oh, I was just complaining out loud, not directed at anybody.

I'm a very visual person — that’s what attracted me to my first Speedmaster, a -74, nearly forty years ago. Some of Omega’s limited editions just hurt my eyes.

On the other hand, they’re capable of these two, which are true stunners.
    A1C82C33-6694-4349-99A1-C6AAAE25455E.jpeg A2F553B8-CC1E-4636-B990-05E00FACB13F.jpeg

So, they’re capable of being amazing. Just wish it were more frequent.

14. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Nov 9, 2019

Those are beautiful!

airansun likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 9, 2019

Nothing really. The 321 is more “classical” in many ways, but real practical advantages are about zero. I know things like “more precise action” of the chronograph are thrown around, but really what does that mean? No freaking idea...

16. Evitzee Nov 9, 2019

Omega has played this 321 re-birth like a fine Stradivarius, maximum coverage and enthusiasm for a product that is technically obsolete. This fine fiddle playing is usually done by the likes of Patek Philippe or one of the other crown jewels. It's marketing genius, Nicolas Hayek is smiling from above.

17. kelsey Nov 9, 2019

Did anyone on this forum purchase the platinum?

A few of us went the Gold 50th, I put my name down for the 321 platinum before it was shown but turned it down on seeing it (though only in pictures).

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2019

ST3 :thumbsup:

eugeneandresson, Pun and gostang9 like this.
  19. gostang9 Nov 9, 2019

This...
    4E635067-8070-46A8-A697-7906C2D43BD2.jpeg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

machamp6650, Longbow, Eve and 5 others like this.
  20. gostang9 Nov 10, 2019

For all of the criticism given to Omega for too many LE’s and too many models, this Platinum edition should get nothing but praise IMO.

it is absolutely gorgeous, it hits a price point in line with how special it is, and it allows Omega to reap some benefit from the nostalgic love their Moonwatch generates.

What a great Omega alternative to the Platinum Daytona!

795E755E-906C-47D2-A34B-5425E03B74EE.jpeg

photo from HODINKEE:

[​IMG]

jankymutt likes this.