Forums Latest Members

Guidance appreciated ... Speedmaster Find (145.022-71)

1. IntenseImage Feb 8, 2020

Little back story first ...

My wife sits down at dinner the other night after visiting her uncle who is at a rehab facility from taking a fall. Her brother tells her she needs to come over and help him start cleaning up some of the uncle's belongings (it's getting close to that time) and that he has a "drawer of watches, a few have certificates and are Rolex" ... I told her to have him send pics so I can see what we are dealing with. Pics come in and my jaw hit the floor. 80s models - Pepsi, Coke, and a Submariner. His house is NOT in a good area, no security systems, and these have literally been sitting in a desk drawer for 20+ years. I told her she needs to get over there and bring them home so we can keep them in our safe. She goes the next day and sends me a few pics of other watches she has found ... Jaw hits the floor again ... Speedmaster!

Knowing these watches will remain in the family and that I'm the watch guy, it's now my responsibility to find out the best path for this beauty.

It has definitely seen better days but I'd venture to say it has never seen a service. It runs but the chrono isn't working (could just but the massive amount of crud built up under the pushers).

A full cleaning with movement service is absolutely in order. The crystal is rough and I did a light polish on it to remove the haze which really helped with seeing the stunning dial. Bracelet seems a bit worn but nothing terrible. Then we have the bezel ... Worn and rough. And it apparently was knocked off at some point and just randomly slapped back on!

I'm just not sure what is the best path forward. Full case resto or leave it as is and just toss a new crystal on, fix the bezel placement and do the basic service (replace movement parts and gaskets as needed - including pushers)

Thanks for any and all help in this situation - I've been doing a TON of reading on this model and the wealth of knowledge is overwhelming

Pre crystal polish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post polish:
    [​IMG]

Etp095, murph, Pinoysurf and 3 others like this.
  2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 8, 2020

That's pretty spiffy! Are you planning to keep or sell?

If you are planning to sell, do nothing. If you are planning to keep, the Speedmaster collectors will advise service by an independent watchmaker with a parts account. With the crazy prices these watches bring, it's likely you want to follow this advise. If you share your location, a watchmaker can be recommended.

Neat find!

Tom

Dan S and IntenseImage like this.
  3. WYO_Watch Feb 8, 2020

Yep - pop off the bezel with a poker chip and reattach with a $25 press in the correct position.

Watch looks great with a polished crystal, and will look even better with the tachymetre bezel on right side up.

I wouldn’t touch the case, but you’ll likely need to get a service done which should be $750 or less.

Etp095 and IntenseImage like this.
  4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 9, 2020

I would not try and do the bezel myself...unless you really know what you are doing. Any press-damage can not be fixed. If you want to sell, do nothing. If you want to keep, send it in for a movement service only. Ask here for a recommended independent watchmaker - do not send to Omega, they will most likely remove all vintage charm. The watchmaker can polish the crystal further (if need be) and correctly install the bezel. There is no need to do anything to that case, it is crisp/sharp/beautiful. Once you understand this, you will be thankful. Repeat after me 100x : I will not polish / ‘restore’ that case ever...

KP-99, Eve, Archer and 1 other person like this.
  5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 9, 2020

No need to replace the pushers. Cleaning and adjusting and voilà : working again. Kind regards. Achim

IntenseImage likes this.
  6. nzshadow Stowaway Feb 9, 2020

Amazing. That bezel positioning is slightly discombobulating. Please post some pics of the Rolexes as well, I would love to see them.

IntenseImage, Pilot85 and Pinoysurf like this.
  7. killer67 Feb 9, 2020

Hopefully your Uncles remaining time is as pain free and gentle as possible. Very nice treasures by which to remember a loved one. Never sell and always cherish. Great story

Gamma, murph and IntenseImage like this.
  8. IntenseImage Feb 9, 2020

Thanks everyone ... As noted these are all being kept. I'm in eastern PA, just north of Philly. My original thoughts were just a better polish on the crystal to remove the scratches still there, correct the bezel and do the movement service. Glad I was on the right train of thought. With how sharp the case edges are I figured it had never seen a polishing - but it does have some scratches and dings (no actual dents) that a well worn watch would see.

9. IntenseImage Feb 9, 2020

EdtheAussie, Artx, Pinoysurf and 4 others like this.
  10. FJR1971 Feb 9, 2020

Those are eye popping amazing Rolex watches.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2020

Modern replacements are the same as the originals, so changing the pushers is fine.

IntenseImage likes this.
  12. Dan S Feb 9, 2020

Many nice watches there. As others have mentioned, a full COA service is most likely all that is needed.

IntenseImage likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

Sorry your uncle is ailing but as said above, we all hope for a pain free and easy exit from this world for everyone when that time comes.

Finding an independent watchmaker in Philly should be easy with an Omega parts account- a Rolex parts account too if possible, or at least access to a cache of vintage NOS parts (watchmakers who have been around a while have their sources). You may want to start a new thread for watchmaker in Philly so it get attention.

Specify- and I cannot stress enough- that they should do nothing to the exterior of the watch but an ultrasonic cleaning or soap & water toothbrush scrub and polish the crystal (the 16750 has some deep scratches but should clean up with a wet sand, being careful around the cyclops to keep the sharp edges- those crystals are thick). Even if they say they can do a “light buffing” or “correct the grain” on the brushed parts- say no. Many older watchmakers do this as SOP (even when you tell them you don’t want it) as most customers want their watch back looking shiny like new- so stress that you don’t want any polishing other than the crystal...they may think you are nuts- but I cannot stress it enough.

It looks like you have a Rolex box- if you don’t have all the watch boxes, he may have the others stashed, so go looking in closets and cabinets. Also check file cabinets and folders for COCS certs and manuals... it could be a treasure hunt.

Etp095, cvalue13 and IntenseImage like this.
  14. IntenseImage Feb 9, 2020

I have some papers from the Speedy but no boxes ... Yet

Boxes and full papers for the Sub and Coke, nothing but the box thus far for the Pepsi

Then ... I have full papers for a Datejust but no idea where that watch may be and a random manual that just says Oyster Perpetual and have no clue what that belongs to

Etp095 likes this.
  15. cornishgiant Feb 9, 2020

16. cvalue13 Feb 9, 2020

I suspect you have a similar post RE the Rolex elsewhere/another forum?

those things plus the Speedmaster make for an incredible “barn find”

cant help but wonder what “keeping them in the family” looks like. Not because I’m suggesting you do otherwise, but trying to imagine what that would look like in MY family and I see feud potential!

Etp095, IntenseImage and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. IntenseImage Feb 9, 2020

Yes on TRF since I knew nothing about them and they guided me on that front.

So her Uncle only has my wife and her brother so in the end it all goes to those 2 and her brother has literally no use for the watches. As he stated, "He already has a watch" - as he looked at his Apple watch. Not knowing the full end game, it's safe to say they will stay with me - if I have to buy his portion out or not

Etp095 likes this.
  18. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

A lot of people get that fear when it comes to family and money- it’s an honest concern when you get a sibling/uncle/ relative that has a direct potential claim to inheritance and they discover the value.
    There was a thread not long ago about a guy who found his grandfather’s watch (was a Railmaster if I recall, may have been a Speedy, but it was $$$$) and wanted to wear it to his wedding. When some members here pointed out the value, he rethought it as there were some uncles that were of the kind that would want to put the grab on it to sell it.
    I was lucky enough when my father died that my siblings and I all divided his assets equally- whomever wanted what got it. I, of course took his watches, and ended up giving two of the three (the more valuable ones actually) to my brother as they were more his style.
    I hope you do get to keep them in the family. If the intent is to sell, then don’t do anything to them-no service, no cleaning- nothing. They have more value to a collector untouched. If you do keep them, get them serviced and have them appraised and insured- do it soon while the market is still hot.

19. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2020

Glad your brother-in-law couldn’t care- that’s good for your collection. As you posted them on TRF, I’m sure you have already gotten 50 PM’s wanting to buy them for $200 each. Take your time if you choose to sell any.

prontoprint likes this.
  20. IntenseImage Feb 9, 2020

Hahaha yes a ton of unsolicited asks to buy ... Even was fully stated they aren't for sale

Etp095 and JwRosenthal like this.