Forums Latest Members
  1. ghce Feb 24, 2023

Dsloan and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. Pvt-Public Feb 24, 2023

Does walking downstairs to get ice cream count? If it does I have a fitness routine.

Mad Dog, YYTIN, SC1 and 2 others like this.
  3. 64Wing Feb 24, 2023

My job is pretty physically draining. Problem is, just because a day whooped you and you're exhausted doesn't mean you got any decent aerobic time under your belt. Two years ago I weighed 224 Lb. I basically just stopped giving AF about anything, was coming out of a five year relationship, between jobs, and my life goals seemed unreachable. I ate & drank what I wanted in excess.

Fast-forward to now: 184 Lb. I still work hard, but have no time to hit a gym. This is commonly dismissed as an excuse by people that DO have time to workout. Here's the reality: I clocked 3,867 hours on the time clock last year and that doesn't include the time I had to spend feeding myself, bathing, sleeping perhaps 6 hours before doing it all again. Add to that the fact I'm in different cities at the drop of a hat.

So how did I lose 40 Lb, you may ask? (Disclaimer: I am not a physician, dietitian, or personal trainer, so this is just my experience and what works for me)
    Pretty simple:
    1. Beer is ok if you set a two drink limit, and don't drink it every night.
    2. Many of us grew up taught to finish our plate. This is important for growing small humans, but NOT for already grown humans. Eat at a slower pace and be constantly aware of whether or not you still feel hungry. It's a mental exercise in restraint: When you aren't hungry anymore, just stop. After a while it becomes automatic behavior.
    3. Water
    4. Eliminate pop & candy 98% of the time. The occasional gas station candy bar and a slurpee ain't gonna kill ya. But be reasonable.
    5. You should have eaten the last meal/snack by 2 hours prior to bed. If you are truly hungry, I find a scoop or two of oats or cottage cheese is plenty to fix that. Sleeping on a full stomach is no good.
    6. Start laying the groundwork for that next stage in life. For me, that looks like a job change where I can use my experience to make more money in less time...with more free time, the gym becomes an option (still working on this one).

Lastly, remember that everyone's body is different. You aren't going to look like that Instagram model in 6 months by using "this one weird trick." Live your life and make improvements along the way.

Walk your dog. They love their hoomans:)

Waltesefalcon, noelekal, NGO1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Pastorbottle Feb 24, 2023

Yeah but the only fumes that you’ll be breathing on it are your own farts!
    And it’s extremely unlikely you’ll get bowled over my some inattentive driver.
    As for other accidents…… well that depends on how unco you are……

5. Dsloan Feb 24, 2023

Human bodies are weird. When I'm tired and under a lot of work/life stress, slapping ~400lbs on my back makes life feel better?

PXL_20230224_005344383.jpg

Also, I was digging around the basement and found the OEM nato strap for my Invicta!

Screenshot_20230224-152459.png

6. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Feb 24, 2023

9045F73C-62DF-4F64-8897-5F3DA5827550.jpeg DA243258-5A6A-4A9E-8420-458D6C32693F.jpeg

Dsloan likes this.
  7. SC1 Feb 24, 2023

#2 and #3 are The Way...

under eating is a proven thing - knowing when to push the fuck away from the plate & table, water is godly - humans typically don't drink enough of it and obese humans seldom do... sleep lays the groundwork to not graze.
    And then there is finally Discipline -- change and maintenance take actual effort. Sustained effort.

My wife, sadly, is and has been going through a thing I haven't been able to help/assist/even make a dent in for over the past five years. Underslept because of work and lifestyle, eats like a saint at home, eats like a pig at work & chronically lies about it, has piled at least 60 pounds on her very small frame (she won't give up a number ~ like it matters, it's visible) and basically views moving from one chair to another as "exercise".
    Very worried about her and there is absolutely nothing I can do for her because she doesn't want help: tried to help, encourage, support, cook food for work for her, suggested personal trainers/therapists... no bueno, she's locked me (and perhaps herself as well) out of that part of her life.

And with my personal backstory it definitely is ironic, curious and sad.

Hoping she finds her way out before health ramifications start appearing.

Waltesefalcon and gearjockey like this.
  8. __ryan__ Feb 24, 2023

My wife is also in healthcare -- she's a nurse practitioner. It's a tough schedule, but she has held up really well. It doesn't help that the pharma reps bring all kinds of food every day to bribe anyone and everyone who might have a say in prescribing drugs.

SC1 likes this.
  9. SC1 Feb 24, 2023

Defo all that.

If it isn't pharma reps kissing ass with food gifts it's well-meaning surgeons loaning their CC for takeout for the PACU RNs as well as coworkers bringing in a shit ton of garbage food daily.
    When it comes to food, apparently my wife has the constitution & willpower of John Wayne Gacy at a crawlspace convention.

Waltesefalcon and Duracuir1 like this.
  10. 64Wing Feb 25, 2023

Odd timing you have with this one. My comrade here and I were just talking on our way to fixing a jet about the fact that you can't help a person if they don't want to help themselves. It's sad and exhausting to try, but that person needs to make a change in order that any help they may receive would not be in vein.

Also strange enough: his wife is also an ICU nurse, so is our boss' wife. They both have a similar problem. So ironic that healthcare professionals are struggling with maintaining a healthy lifestyle when they know better. But food is a powerful coping mechanism for our human brains.

I wish all the very best for you and the Mrs. I hope she realizes soon that she'll be leaving a lot of happiness and years of life on the table of she doesn't face this head-on. I found that my own embarrassment/shame over how I looked was enough to convince me not to even try. I had to decide to make a change. And even though I'm down in weight, I still wish I looked more fit. Trying to make time and mentally commit to it as I stare down the barrel of 33 years this summer. As a bachelor, in this age group, I realize the pickings are slim so I need to shape up for my own esteem and the ancillary benefit might just be the confidence to engage in a meaningful relationship for the first time in a few years instead of focusing so much on work and hiding from my problems.

SC1, ghce and Duracuir1 like this.
  11. wagudc Mar 15, 2023

NGO1, DaveK, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  12. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Mar 15, 2023

Nice! Great exercise. As a kid we had one hanging in the garage. The discipline was to keep your knees down. Kicking your knees up during the pull was considered cheating. I could do 25 with practice. Now, in my early 50s. I stay away. I find it hard on my shoulders.

13. wagudc Mar 15, 2023

I have struggled with shoulder pain for years, hanging helps:

25 pullups is a lot. In my peak I could do 20 (18 without breaking form). My wife could do 10. We have taken a break from the gym for a while to focus on other things, but I have started to get back into it more. I am working my way back now.

14. SC1 Mar 15, 2023

This is fabulous and encouraging... after years of being morbidly obese, almost an entire lifetime of being a drummer (schlepping drums, sitting behind them with absolutely horrid posture) and now for the past 18 years being an avid cyclist my right shoulder is a totally jacked mess.
    I have three partial RC tears, impingement issues with three ligaments and an on/off again frozen scapula. We have collectively dropped much coin into PT's & personal trainers and while I have had 6-12 months at a stretch of relief it always returns (and is/has currently to the degree I am spending at least four hours per day with a TENS unit on the shoulder, everyday).

Once, about a year ago, I had stopped in a public park on a long bike ride -- and the Monkey Bars looked (seemed?) like something I should try hanging from ~ it's weird when your body kinda says "Do that, it'll help" so I did... absolutely fucking agony within seconds so of course I stopped.
    Seeing your post and having just watched that video you embedded -- I should have listened more to my shoulder and calmed my brain that panicked.

Ordering a bar right now.

Thank you.

Dsloan and Duracuir1 like this.
  15. wagudc Mar 15, 2023

Awesome. Hanging definitely helps, but I think other stretches and rotator cuff exercises are important. I like the stretches in this video and also the standard internal and external rotations with the stretchy bands that I am sure your PT showed you:

Dsloan, Duracuir1 and SC1 like this.
  16. wagudc Mar 15, 2023

Also, use eye protection when installing the bar. When I was pre-drilling the holes a speck of something got in my eye. I'm still recovering from the resulting eye infection.

SC1 likes this.
  17. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Apr 10, 2023

First outdoor ride of the year. Year 17 with this bike. I had gone to 25 mm tires the last few years. Back to 23s now. I noticed the difference. A7A189E7-6147-48AA-A553-072D3C8B373A.jpeg 8DDE2739-BED7-4CDD-92A8-354D5645A2C7.jpeg 8CC67663-ED3E-4208-97BA-3888CB2BBC18.jpeg

DaveK, noelekal, Aroxx and 2 others like this.
  18. SydR Apr 10, 2023

I’ve generally always had a good base level of fitness all my live, hill walking in the spring, summer and autumn, and cycling most of the year (except on icy days). I took up running, 6 years ago, in my late 40’s and am in training for my 4th marathon in ~10 weeks time.

I had an enforced two year hiatus from running after a serious cycling crash where I suffered a
    acetabular fracture and right inferior and superior pubic rami fractures. I got back to 90% or so and completed London Marathon last year and kept things ticking away over winter so am back at my pre crash fitness. It does help having a rowing machine and a Wattbike Atom at home.

DaveK, noelekal, SC1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 10, 2023

I engage in a variety of types of exercise, but this particular machine (Water Rower) is excellent, and particularly appreciated during periods of bad weather. Extremely well designed and built, and stores upright.

WR54.jpg

YYTIN, DaveK, Duracuir1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Apr 10, 2023

That is a beautiful machine Tony. In the mid 2000s I had to choose between that style and the Concept 2. I got the C2 but yours is so much more stylish. Felt great when I tested it too.

@SydR very impressive. Welcome to OF.

YYTIN, SC1, Tony C. and 1 other person like this.