Forums Latest Members
  1. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Feb 14, 2023

I am quite happy this morning. After politely declining requests to return to teaching police recruits, I am returning for a bit. (They really needed help).

And my tac pants still fit. A bit looser even. (This is why I am happy).

I was worried because although I still do weights, cycling, walking, rowing and kayaking, I do less traveling and running around one year into retirement. I have never owned or used a scale. My gauge was always my uniform.

I know that yoga is good. My wife tried it but was “repelled” by the hairy, sweaty fat guys who fall asleep and fart during yoga sessions. I don’t want to experience that either.

Ready to go scare the crap out of the aspiring police officers. BD07C1A1-555B-4506-A9C5-C3178F9CC021.jpeg I doubt that I will resume my trademark moves of threatening them in the hallways. That always freaked them out at first. But in the end, they appreciated how I made them more tactically sound. My favorite coffee mug, a gift from one of the classes. F0B970BA-CB3C-48CD-AED6-50D3986EC36B.jpeg 7E439CA5-EFED-4BBF-91F4-7CC7D58619E0.jpeg 6BA41E57-E1ED-43BA-B05E-F77CC9F423C0.jpeg One last thing, the stress reduction, even from driving to work, has likely helped to keep those pants loose.

What is your fitness regime?

2. w154 Feb 14, 2023

I had a bit of a health scare back in November so I’m trying to get back into decent shape again. Plan to do some long(ish) distance cycle touring over the summer, so as “training” I’ve set up a rough Excel sheet where I can pretend I’m cycling from the west coast to the east coast of the United States. Started recording on the first of January. Progress is a little slow but improving, although sadly the record of seven days 15 hours has already slipped :D

Here’s the current status !

83F4714F-75DE-41DF-8CE6-63ACCE258A15.jpeg

Edited Feb 14, 2023
    YYTIN, TimeODanaos, Fish70 and 12 others like this.
  3. Dsloan Feb 14, 2023

I lift heavy stuff, row a bit for cardio, and do a lot of walking (museums, hikes, walk around the neighborhood).

I used to compete in powerlifting but it's been a few years since I got on the platform. I might squeeze back into a singlet in the next year or so... I'm almost a 'masters' age lifter, so there will be less competition and more opportunities to medal soon.

This is what I wear when I'm lifting:

PXL_20230210_011516855.jpg

4. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 14, 2023

Great post @Duracuir1

Teaching is great. I teach as a part-time lecturer at a university beside my normal work. It pays almost nothing but I really like it and I think it helps keep my mind a little bit more fit than if I wasn't doing it. Explaining things so other people understand them and actually want to listen to you more than once is challenging.

As for physical fitness, I am 37 with 38 coming up in a few months and lately it has dawned on me how different by body is now than just 7-8 years ago, when I reached the big 30, and how much more effort is required to just keep it status quo. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week trying to squeeze it in, when ever I can. A lot of squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, push,ups, bench press, farmer walk etc. and usually warm up on a rowing machine. I used to work out with a buddy of mine but he moved last summer, so now I just work out by myself. I also do early morning yoga on Wednesdays and have done so for the last 5 years. Yes, there is the occasional fart from some of the older guys but I don't care. It is great that they are keeping fit :) I would really like to do more yoga, if I had the time. If I was dictator of a state the one thing I would make mandatory for my people was yoga classes twice a week :)

I find it extremely scary how little focus physical fitness gets in our modern world especially on workplaces. Sitting in front of a computer 7-8 hours a day ruins our bodies, if we aren't very careful.

apsm100, DaveK, Omegafanman and 4 others like this.
  5. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 14, 2023

I usually hate YouTube workout and fitness videos but one I follow regularly for quite a while is Athlean-X. Jeff's "100 workout series" are pretty cool.

6. Davidt Feb 14, 2023

I had a routine, or at least I was fairly active, but then I had two kids!
    As they’re only very young and I’m busy at work I find it hard to do a full compliment of weights, running and footy so now I just fit in what I can. I usually prioritise deadlifts than other weight, and try and squeeze in at least one run a month.
    I then try and tick over by always taking the stairs at work, walking my eldest to nursery if I’m not dropping him off on the way to work.

Basically trying to maintain some kind of base level and promise myself I’ll step it back up when time allows.

I’d always say unless you have back issues, pretty much everyone regardless of age or sex would benefit from deadlifts.

YYTIN, apsm100, MTROIS and 7 others like this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 14, 2023

Good on ya @Duracuir1 ! Not many folks can say they've trimmed down after entering retirement...usually we go the opposite direction.

And @w154 -- good work! You'll be across the continent before you know it!

Oofff @Dsloan ! that looks brutal.

My regimen is dirt simple: I just keep walking uphill. Year after year, for the last 12 years, I've been walking 1,200-1,400km (~800-900 miles) each year, mainly in the hills near our home. I also average about 60,000m (200,000ft) of vertical ascent each year. This means I wear out at least two pairs of heavy-duty hiking shoes per year (I once calculated that each daily walk costs about $1.35 in equipment usage...still much cheaper than the cost of going to a commercial gym). All told, I've walked well over 11,000km (7,000 miles) just on this amazing network of trails in our little corner of Los Angeles. It's not something you'd expect to be able to do in a crowded metro area with +10 million inhabitants. On most days I'm able to see the Pacific Ocean from one of the high points on my trail circuit, unless it's covered by fog or smog. On nearly every walk I see noteworthy wildlife, such as deer, coyotes, hawks, vultures, foxes, and many, many rattlesnakes. And if I hike at night, which I sometimes do when the daytime temperature exceeds 45degC (113degF) I often see skunks and raccoons. There is even a flock of exotic tropical parrots which inhabit one of the canyons I hike in.

Here's a map showing the general area where I walk, and its network of trails. I choose a different combo of trail segments each day I walk.

2023-02-14_7-07-38.jpg

and here are a couple of photos from this most unlikely of outdoor playgrounds...

IMG_1605_fullres.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Edited Feb 14, 2023
    YYTIN, Ogion, nitediver and 29 others like this.
  8. wagudc Feb 14, 2023

Mostly trail running in the muddy forest behind my house, soccer, and weights at the gym.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nitediver, LesXL, apsm100 and 16 others like this.
  9. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 14, 2023

:whistling: Walking the dog, I’m justa walking the dog

Use stairs rather than take the lift

Brush my teeth before bed

47A1B05B-8C60-4E6E-960C-06BF54AC51D6.jpeg

YYTIN, LesXL, UncleBuck and 16 others like this.
  10. Fallout Boy Feb 14, 2023

After a pause (Covid - I am NOT vaccinated, so I could not enter the "club") I changed to a new fitness-club: keep-cool at Sainte Maxime., and I was astonished, that the "Teachers" in two small rooms are:
    one beamer , loudspeakers and a small screen on the ceiling.. Outside: a touch-screen display were you can chose manually or by app.
    brave new world
    PS: I need ear-plugs there, even in the morning during the "retired-session" :D

"Fast sessions " is jogging here in the hills near the coast...just a step away from my home.

Aim: rowing (machine) with a good pace like years before

Omegafanman, Mad Dog, MTROIS and 6 others like this.
  11. Pastorbottle Feb 14, 2023

I drive wherever possible, drink plenty of whiskey, and drink plenty of coke when not drinking.
    I eat shitloads of red meat, avoid salads like the plague, use real butter, full cream milk, and cheese in cooking.
    I consider potatoes an honorary meat whilst eschewing vegetables, I use plenty of salt and sugar.
    I eat ice cream every day…… in fact I do everything wrong and I’m still fitter that most blokes my age.
    I consider the most healthy thing you can do is not spend every minute of every day worrying about health, that shit becomes a self fulfilling prophecy!

Thommas, apsm100, blubarb and 11 others like this.
  12. RevZMan123 Feb 14, 2023

I play the drums in a heavy metal band once a week. Other than that we live on 3A in the Jersey Pine Barrens and my mailbox is like half a mile from my front door, so that's my exercise. We eat well and cook real food at home 5 days a week. No highly-processed box food except organic mac & cheese. Our go-to snacks are Utz snacks or other organic things, like fruit. Sure, we eat doritos or Chick fil a or 5 guys (no other fast food, unless Pizza counts, ey oh!) now and again but we never drink soda -- Only water, coffee, apple juice, or milk. No cv jabs here, we take D3, C and Zinc every night and the child adds Elderberry vitamins.Oh yes, dessert every night. Usually cookies, cake or something sweet, but before 8pm

13. EuroDriver 1st Seamaster 75th Anniversary Owner Feb 14, 2023

I am currently a complete couch potato. Dealing with some health issues, awaiting a couple of surgeries. But since the doc said no exercise at all last fall, I've managed to drop 58 pounds.

I still go offshore fishing 2-3 times per month, if that counts

apsm100, DaveK, Mad Dog and 9 others like this.
  14. wagudc Feb 14, 2023

Walking that dog will keep you fit. Great breed, but lots of energy. Keeping him exercised will keep you young.

YYTIN, Duracuir1, M'Bob and 1 other person like this.
  15. Fallout Boy Feb 14, 2023

dog.jpg

"The only easy day was yesterday" :)

Edited Feb 14, 2023
    LesXL, Omegafanman, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 14, 2023

I swim between 3-5 km a week, and have been doing so for many years. I am addicted to the results, which are numerous, but mostly happy hormones and a deep sense of calm.

YYTIN, ErichPryde, DaveK and 11 others like this.
  17. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Feb 14, 2023

Parmentier de Confit de Canard

Cheese, potato, butter, cream, duck (and fat), salt. Apologies for the green decorations.
    There’s my 5 a day.
    7BC9351A-FB5A-47A3-89F2-9B7198836320.jpeg

LesXL, Omegafanman, MTROIS and 6 others like this.
  18. lillatroll Feb 14, 2023

I boxed until I was 42. Got tired of being punched in the face. I did nothing for about 18 months then started running.
    I run between 50 and 70 km a week and swim once a week. I like running as it's a nice way to mentally finish my day. ( I am a secondary school teacher and head of department. A job I love and have been doing for the past 26 years)
    I eat for about 10 people most days but what the hell. I am turning 50 this year and I know exercise is important the older I get. I just need to stop eating so much chocolate .
    I used to do light weights when I boxed but I never enjoyed it. Being strong is important when boxing but I also found it very boring.

Edited Feb 15, 2023
    YYTIN, DaveK, blubarb and 12 others like this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 14, 2023

This is the main snack food we keep at the house (and I usually have a couple bags stashed in my office): https://outstandingfoods.com/

The have some 25% - 35% off sales a couple times per year, so I'll stock up with a few dozen bags. You can also buy through Amazon and in some stores. The stores tend to only carry a narrow selection, though.

20. vbrad26 Feb 14, 2023

[​IMG]

ErichPryde, DaveK, Thommas and 13 others like this.